Horse Slaughter

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Excuse me, but I am not a spokesperson for any slaughter. And excuse me again for say a "quick painless death". Guess I didn't word it correctly to suit you LCAROL.
    Having worked for vets for years, I have seen many "home" type deaths done by the owners botched. Horses shot in the head and then running around. I have seen vets (who should not have a license)instead of using euthanasia , shoot a horse with a broken leg and the shot was misplaced and the horse was then running around the pasture with a broken leg and a bullet in the head.
    I was trying to explain LCAROL, that if there were proper regulations in the US, then it would be a quick painless death, not the ones associated with Canada and especially Mexico.
    EXCUSE me, LCAROL for not saying the proper things. DO NOT START SPOUTING OFF ABOUT WYOMING , WE ARE PEOPLE ALSO. EXCUSE ME LCAROL FOR FEELING THAT UNLESS BREEDERS STOP BREEDING, THE SLAUGHTER IS GOING TO KEEP GOING, WHETHER HORSES ARE SLAUGHTERED HERE IN THE US OR TAKEN ON TRUCKS FOR MILES AND MILES AND DUMPED IN MEXICO. EXCUSE ME FOR NOT BEING PERFECT LIKE YOU LCAROL.
    IAM NOT A GIRL LCAROL, I AM A GROWN LADY WHO HAS MOST LIKELY DEALT WITH HORSES AND DEATH LONGER THAN YOU HAVE BEEN BORN. MY FEELING ARE NOT COMPLETELY WRONG, I JUST KNOW THE TRUTH.
    TAKE YOUR NASTY COMMENTS ABOUT ME AND GO FLY A KITE. I HAVE NO KNOWLEDGE OF SLAUGHTER SUE OR WHOMEEVER YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT, BUT YOUR COMMENTS TO ME, TELLING ME I A WRONG, TELLING ME I AM FROM WYOMING LIKE THAT IS A BAD THING, TELLING ME THAT I SUPPORT SLAUGHTERHOUSES IS GARBAGE. YOU DON'T KNOW ME, YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT MY EXPERIENCES WITH HORSES, OR DEATH OR ANYTHING ELSE.
    MAYBE YOU NEED TO NOT BE SO HATEFUL AND KEEP YOUR NASTY OPINIONS TO YOURSELF.
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    I too see over breeding as a problem....do I have an answer ...no....unless there is some legal way to limit a stallions "book" to a certain number.....the breeders would not like that at all...
    I know everyone is entitled to their opinion and to express that opinion ...but when "attacked" here...I just pull back...there is never a need to get nasty ...esp on Z's site...some just seem to want to fight...
    few of us have met personally....so any reading of anothers character would be wholly imaginary ...
    we can be passionate about our beliefs without turning on each other...
  • CaptainMistress, this liberal thinks the same way you do about Pelosi! See we do have some things in common!

Carolina, how would like to be the only person on this site who knows the drug issue, has seen horses getting injected by the vet on race day, but everybody else is against him?

I'm not backing down. The slaughter issue is becoming too political where those people are now sending in disinformation just to confuse you all.

It's kind of like the JFK assassination. Whoever really did it, and I doubt we'll ever know, but those guys will put forth more crazy theories like space aliens did it or LBJ's mistress's brother-in-law did it. Therefore making no sense of it and making it harder for change.

That's why I stayed out of this one. Besides I have no first-hand knowledge of the situation.
  • OH YEA, LCAROL, I HAVE NO CLUE WHO THE HECK SUE WALLIS IS, NOR DO I CARE TO KNOW. I JUST WROTE MY MY MY OPINION, NOT SUE WALLIS OR SLAUGHTERHOUSE SUE.
    YOU DON'T HAVE MY NUMBER LCAROL, BECAUSE I JUST GAVE MY OPINION, JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE IS ALLOWED TO DO ON THIS FORUM. JUST BECAUSE I LIVE IN WYOMING DOESN'T MAKE ME 'PRO ANYTHING".
    I GAVE MY OPINION. MY OPINION. WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE TO LUMP ME WITH FANATICAL PRO SLAUGHTER FOLKS? WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE TO SAY"WE HAVE YOUR NUMBER WYOMING GRANDMA".
    YOU NEED TO REALIZE YOU ARE NOT THE OPINION POLICE AND EVERYONE HAS THE RIGHT TO SAY SOMETHING WITHOUT A PERSON LIKE YOU POSTING NASTY HATEFUL THINGS. THERE WAS NO NEED TO ATTACK ME, MY STATE THAT I CHOOSE TO LIVE IN , OR MY OPINIONS. YOU ARE WRONG AND ARE TOTALLY OUT OF LINE.
  • wyominggrandma, are you a grandma or a pit bull?
  • edited November 2013
    OH YEA, LCAROL. I AM NOT A HORSE TRADER. HOW DARE YOU COMMENT " As I said, wyominggrandma says exactly the same phrases as the pro-slaughter groups."
    WHO THE HECK ARE YOU TO SAY ANYTHING ABOUT ME, LIKE YOU KNOW ME.
    YOU OWE ME AN APOLOGY AND ANYONE ELSE ON THIS FORUM WHOM YOU HAVE BASHED AND BEEN IGNORANT TOO. I DID NOT GET ON THIS FORUM AND POST ANYTHING NASTY OR HATEFUL OR CALL ANYONE NAMES, I POSTED MY OPINION.
    JUST LIKE YOU DID, HOWEVER, BRINGING ME INTO A GROUP THAT YOU NAMED, WHEN YOU HAVE NO CLUE WHO I AM.
    DO YOU LUMP ALL PEOPLE IN NASTY GROUPS JUST BECAUSE NOBODY CALLS YOU OUT ON IT?
    HOW DARE YOU WARN OTHER ZENYATTA FANS TO BE CAREFUL OF ME, THAT I AM A SPOKESPERSON FOR SUE WALLIS OR SLAUGHTERHOUSE SUE. HOW DARE YOU.
    I DON'T HAVE TO MAKE EXCUSES FOR ANYTHING I DO, BUT FOR YOU TO ACT LIKE I AM SOME HORRIBLE "KILL ALL HORSES" PERSON AND TO HAVE THE NERVE TO WARN OTHERS ABOUT ME????????????
    JUST WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE?
    Markinsac, I am a loving caring grandma. But I do not take lightly to being trashed on a public forum, seeing one person "warning" others about me, this same person telling others who I am and what I stand for because I live in Wyoming. That "we have your number" . I love horses, all animals, been working for vets for over 40 years, been around the slaughter up and downs for years and years and years. I should not be called out by someone who acts like they own this forum, when that person doesn't even know me.
    Funny that Lcarol can say all this stuff, but not comment when she is called out on it.
  • Oh, LCAROL, so everything I said in your words is "patently false". Really?
    HSUS and PETA? hmmm, if you think they are pro animals, you need to do more research.
    That the breeders of horses are the fault of the overpopulation of horses? So, is this false also? Really?
    One way to stop the overpopulation of horses is slow down the thousands and thousand of foals born every year.. Is that "patently false" also?
    If you say there is no need for slaughter, then where or who is going to take care of the thousands and thousands of horses that are unwanted every year? Are you? Can you go buy property and feed all these horses? Can you provide a place for all these horses to live out their lives? I had property to bury my old horses on when they died, not everyone is that lucky. When hay started going to expensive and land is so hard to find, people were taking their horses up to Wyoming and dumping them on public land and leaving them to "fend" for themselves. Horses are turned loose on forest service land and left. People would return to their trailers and find horses tied up to them. People wake up and find strange horses in their fields. This is not just in Wyoming, this is everywhere. What are these people supposed to do with horses that do not belong to them when they can barely afford to feed their own. This is in every state in the US.
    You tell me where all these horses are supposed to go when nobody wants them or wants to claim them. Rescues are full to the brim with horses, people do what they can.
    Don't think I don't support rescues or give them feed when I can, I do.
    I take care of my horses until they die, then they are buried on my property.
    I would just like to know where or who is supposed to take care of the horses that uncaring folks just dump? This is not researchable, this is a question I want you, LCAROL to answer...... Without nasty comments
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    Hi Wyominggrandma.....I dont know about HSUS but I do know you are right about PETA...I think more responsible owners like you are what is needed....I applaud your efforts....if all owners/breeders did the same....this horrific problem would decrease ...a lot...
  • edited November 2013
    Wyominggrandma - I completely agree with you about PETA - They want to eliminate pet ownership. And I admit I don't know what to do about the overpopulation of horses, dogs or cats. It would be nice if humans were responsible, and only careful and controlled breeding happened, but I don't think it's going to happen. People that say EVERYONE needs to spay and neuter don't make sense, either, because that WOULD accomplish PETA's goal of pet elimination, and quickly.

It seems that civil discussion in the age of hiding behind a computer screen has gone the way of the doo-doo bird.

Also, I love the picture of your doggie. He/she looks a lot like my dog. And yes, I have a purchased purebred dog, which seems to grate certain people too, but I've always loved shepherds and as long as I am able, I will own one. ;)
  • Thanks, I love my girl. She just turned 3 a few weeks ago. Like you, I did buy her, but I have rescued many dogs and cats. Have had greyhounds off the track, have a cat we rescued 8 years ago off the highway. Heck, I have even rescued horses.
    I showed and bred dogs for years, did professional handling. I quit breeding 6 years ago, just did not want to keep producing puppies. I had waiting lists for two years of people wanting my babies, I was tough on screening owners, turned lots down. I lost income from not breeding show dogs, but that's okay. I felt it was something I needed to do.
    The problem with the Humane Society of the United States is they are in the back pocket of PETA. They have no actual rescues or humane societies active, they have lots of money for salaries and commercials. They are also a major contributor of "breed bans". I may not be comfortable about certain breeds, but do not support bans, most the issues are the owners, not the breed. (The ASPCA doesn't work with them, the ASPCA is a worthwhile humane group.)
    Our society has become one of disposable animals,"if the puppy grows up and is not trained like Lassie on tv, then wham, it is dumped". Backyard breeders to make money are producing puppies left and right, they don't worry about the puppy once the check is cashed. I gave a lifelong return to me contract when I sold puppies, I was always responsible for them since I produced them. Responsible breeders care about their animals and know what their dogs are doing with their families. Or they take them back.What happens to thousands and thousands of dogs/cats/puppies/kittens every day that nobody cares about? They are dumped to fend for themselves on city streets to be run over, abused, used for dog fighting, etc. Eventually they die on their own or are euthanized by the city or county or whomever does it. And taken to a land fill or are cremated. Easier to get rid of thousands of dogs/cats because they are smaller.
    Horses are the same way, cute little foals that turn into untrained horses. Race horses that can't run fast enough, show horses that no longer win, mares that no longer foal. Responsible breeders take care of their own, they keep them or make sure they are sold to good owners. The backyard breeders keep producing foals because"the daddy is such a pretty color, or the mommy is so sweet I wanted a foal just like her". " Oh, I am going to breed my mare and keep the foal forever and ever, it will never turn into an unwanted horse." Yep, heard that story a lot, about the time the horse is being sold for cheap or given away because it has some "issues".
    Anyone who brings an animal into the world should be responsible for it for its lifetime. The over abundance of breeding is what is causing the huge huge overpopulation of horses, dogs and cats. Fortunately or unfortunately dogs and cats are small enough to make disposal easily hidden or forgotten. Loose dogs are shot in the country and taken to the dump, dogs hit by cars are picked up by officers and taken for disposal, which is nice terms is usually the dump. Same as cats. Put them in a bag and take them to the landfill...
    Horses, well that is a lot bigger problem. Useless discarded horses are a BIG problem. What do you do with them? Where can they go? Who can feed them? I wish I had thousands of acres to keep hundreds of unwanted horses, but I don't. I wish I had millions of dollars to feed unwanted horses, but I don't. Turning them loose to be "wild" and free is as inhumane as killing them. I don't know the answer to the question about what to do with them. I don't think anyone does. The question of what to do with the horses has been going on for 30, 40,. 50, 60 years and as yet, nobody can come up with a perfect solution.
    Would I eat horsemeat? No. Do I eat beef? you bet. I like cows also, but nobody seems to care about them going to slaughter. They are living creatures also, feel pain, yet most of us probably enjoy our steak or burger. I love horses, have since I was a kid when "dirt was new", I do want to see them die in slaughter or die on racetracks as babies. Or be abused or treated bad.
    BUT,
    At some point, something has to be done to stop overbreeding of horses. But until that time , nobody can tell me what or who is going to keep and feed and have land enough for the overpopulation. Heck, the cities are coming out into the country. Wild animals are already being forced to run in cities for food because their "homes" are being taken away for houses and people.
    Until somebody can tell me, not with statistics or papers or articles, but actual proof of who is going to take care of all the unwanted horses, save them, what is going to happen to them.
  • I've rescued dogs and cats over the years, too! Although they've been the 'dumped' ones that show up on my doorstep and look up at me with big brown (or green, if they're cats) eyes, and I can't bring myself to take them to the local humane society so I keep them.

I think we should point out the local humane societies are NOT like the HSUS. They are caring, wonderful people that do their best under difficult circumstances. My local humane society is a 'no kill' shelter. They do put down dogs or cats that are too ill or emotionally damaged to recover, or cats that are feral, but the vast majority of the pets that end up there are kept and kept and kept until they find their 'forever homes'.

• edited November 2013
    Oh exactly, most all humane societies, rescues, etc are not affiliated with HSUS. They are their own little "power group". Lots of private rescues that pay out of their own pocket, both small animal and large.
    Horse rescues are again so overpopulated its sad. And hay is so darn expensive. Its a double edged sword. Save what you can, but then you end up not being able to feed what you have.
  • edited November 2013
    wyominggrandma - I put a picture of my doggie as my photo (she's dressed in a Halloween costume for the local 'Howl-o-ween' costume contest. She was a 'flapper' LOL! ) so you can see her. Doesn't she look a lot like your pup?
  • yea, she really does. We must have good taste in dogs.
  • I just have a quick comment here, more later, but I love, love, love both of your dogs AND my dream is to live in Wyoming or Montana!! Lucky you wyominggrandma.
  • Wow. Cant we all get along?

I'll bite. How do we stop irresponsible people from owning animals? How do we stop overbreeding?
  • self conciousness. those people need to know their financial situation, they need to be educated in knowing what all an animal needs to be taking care of properly. if they know they do not have whatever that animal needs, then they should know they cant have them.
  • We are talking about people who don't care if they have what the animal needs, puppy mill breeders for instance. It is all about money for them. Maybe we need to strenghten animal cruelty laws and hit them in the pocketbook.
  • Greed, pure and simple greed. IDK where I read this, but somewhere I did. Out of the annual TB foal crop in any given year, half those horses will end up in the slaughter pipeline. What was the report for mares bred this year? 25k? That's a lot of horses. The pretty, gauzy ads for the Derby showing pretty babies on wobbly knees does not tell the whole story. I give to rescues where I can, but it feels hopeless when so many get bred to maybe get that one elusive winner. Hard to fight the machine!
  • edited November 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited November 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.