Horse Slaughter

123457»

Comments

• Here's a tiny example of what is happening to unwanted racehorses.
  • Louise that surely heartbreaking . . . I'm glad you are keeping us informed. Hopefully more rescues are on the way.
  • Momentous things are happening in the New Mexico and Missouri Horse Slaughter issue. I hope many of you are pestering your Senators to pass the Safe Act for Horses. If you haven't weighed in, please, please do so. Each and every person that speaks out against Horse Slaughter counts, so please be one of them.

After acclimating myself to Kentucky, and having been in love with Horses since the age of four when I first met one, I am determined to do all that I can to help stop this madness.

I applaud the both the Governor and Attorney General of New Mexico. They are standing up for Horses, Good for them!

States Place Barriers Before Companies Seeking to Slaughter Horses for Export
    BY DAN FLYNN | JANUARY 10, 2014

A New Mexico hearings officer says the state should deny a wastewater discharge permit for Valley Meat in Roswell, and the Missouri Department of Natural Resources says it will get back to Rains Natural Meats in Gallatin once it decides if horses are livestock.

These state regulatory barriers now face the two companies planning to slaughter horses after the Dec. 13 decision from the Tenth Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals in Denver gave USDA permission to provide equine inspections for the two businesses.

The professional water quality staff in the New Mexico Department of the Environment wanted to give a water discharge permit to Valley Meat, but the hearing officer assigned to hear the case, Felicia Orth, recommended that the application be denied due to the company’s previous environmental violations when it was a cattle slaughterhouse.

Valley’s past history, Orth stated, shows a “willful disregard” of New Mexico’s water quality provisions, a question of law and fact that justifies denial. Her recommendation, along with the 49-page decision, now goes to Ryan Flynn, New Mexico’s Secretary of the Environment.

Blair Dunn, attorney for both Valley Meat and Rains Natural Meats, said the Roswell facility requires either a discharge permit for up to 8,000 gallons a day into underground holding tanks, or else it will have to rely on a pump and haul operation, which apparently does not require a permit.

Dunn has 15 days to file a response to the hearing officer’s decision, and Flynn then has 30 days after that to make his decision.

In Missouri, where top state officials claim to be staying out of regulatory decisions, the state DNR says it has to decide if horses are included in the permit it already issued to Rains to slaughter livestock. Dunn says horses have long been deemed livestock under Missouri’s laws and regulation.

A spokesman for Gov. Jay Nixon says the governor’s office is not involved in the decision-making.

Finally, in the ongoing legal action involving possible horse slaughter, the Santa Fe District Court’s family law judge will entertain oral arguments on Monday on whether to continue a restraining order against Valley’s operation until a civil suit brought by Attorney General Gary King plays out.

Both Valley and Rains want to produce horsemeat for human consumption, but only for export. An estimated 158,000 U.S. horses were slaughtered in Mexico and Canada in 2012. No USDA-inspected horse slaughter has occurred in the U.S. since 2007, but the practice could resume under existing USDA budget authority.
  • The Canadian Horse Defence Coalition is taking aim on horses (from USA & Canada) being shipped tot Japan for slaughter. They do FABULOUS work and have set up a petition.

If you are comfortable with the idea, you can show your support by signing their petition here:

https://canadianhorsedefencecoalition.wordpress.com/2015/08/13/urgent-petition-insist-that-atlas-air-end-transport-of-horses-to-japan-for-slaughter/
  • FYI: I wanted to give a "shout out" to Louise Castello for all her help in the efforts to save HALE, HOPE and 27 other horses. HOPE was rescued, as were 23 others, including HALE, who was purchased through VAULT donations and by my emptying my own pockets, together with a young woman from NH & her family. HALE will live with her in NH on a 150-acre farm for the rest of his life.
  • Abigail, Louise C., and so many others,

Thank you for all that you do on behalf of the horses. Horse slaughter is a very distressing issue, and it needs to be stopped as soon as possible. You have my vote on this, and if I can help please inform me.
  • Thank you, Abigail and Louise, but I did nothing compared to what Abigail did. You went above and beyond, Abigail!

I hope everyone reads the link you posted above. It's heartbreaking, but if people see more of the faces of the horses sent to slaughter, maybe more will help. It's so very sad. I signed and shared.
  • KMMKMM Member
    I have not read this thread. A lot of long posts. I thought it was banned in U. s.
  • LOUISE: I posted my thank you to you on Facebook but THANK YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART. You are one very special lady and I appreciate the support . HALE comes home to Karly this coming Wednesday. He'll be in NH, of course & I'm in Montreal, but I'll be going to visit. Straight from the heart to you, Louise. No words for your kindness.
  • Paniolo_GalPaniolo_Gal Member
    edited August 2015
    Glad to hear that Hale, Hope and 27 other horses were saved! Good work Abigail for spreading this alert around!❤

Oh...forgot to add this in...also signed your petition as well. Thanks for bringing the petition to our attention! ❤
  • Louise, have also signed and shared.
  • Louise, have also signed and shared.
    Thank you, thank you!!

• Signed the petition. Such stories make me cry. There is absolutely no need for there to be "excess" horses because mares and stallions are rarely kept in the same pasture or stall. So mating of them and the production of more horses usually involves deliberate action by humans. Enough already. So sad about Ambassador. He was considered excess at age 3? Terrible.
  • Thank you, @VA_in_CA, so much for signing. These stories make me cry, too. It makes no sense that they keep breeding and breeding when this happens all the time. Most don't realize how often what happened to Ambassador does happen. I've said it before, but these auctions take place everywhere, everyday, and there is no way all the horses can be saved.
  • Maybe people who breed horses should be forced to pay very expensive fees for licenses to breed. Course then they would do it on the sly, unless the horse could not be sold (which is what they're bred for presumably) without the license showing the fee was paid. Seems to me they'd almost need to have a buyer standing by before they do the breeding. The money from the licenses could be used to fund facilities for "unwanted" horses.
  • 2 horses saved + 2 rescues funded. Thank you readers of THE VAULT for all of your support! Please see my FB page (Abigail Anderson) for thank you from OUR MIMS.
    http://www.gofundme.com/8d2cher4
  • Way to go, Abigail! This is great news.
  • Yes! Wonderful News!
  • Dear Friends:

This article was in Blood Horse yesterday.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/96029/irb-member-pulls-slaughter-rule-resigns

Asking anyone who would like to join us in calling Mr. Duchossois, Chairman of Arlington International Racecourse to reconsider and adopt the proposal to prevent shipment of horses from racetracks to slaughter facilities. The phone number at Arlington is 847-385-7500. Thank you, JB

• KetaKeta Member
    24 “PIECES OF PROPERTY”
    March 18, 2018 by THE VAULT: horse racing past and present
    There were some great races (San Felipe, the fabulous Tough Sunday, Justify, etc.) the weekend of March 10, 2018 in the USA. But for me, THE story of that weekend had nothing to do with horse races.
    (NOTE: No graphic images or footage of horse slaughter in this article.)
    https://thevaulthorseracing.wordpress.com/2018/03/18/24-pieces-of-property/
  • Excellent article. More needs to be done to stop this evil.