Zenyatta's Height

edited March 2012 in Zenyatta
I've been very curious....I've had some people say that Zenny is 18 hh and others say she's 17.3...I checked the website and it said the was 17.3 hh.....I find it curious that people think she's so big as I know several thoroughbreds of this height. I'm interested to hear your thoughts on this matter.

Comments

• carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    She is one of the tallest, successful racers ....seabiscuit and war admiral were both 15+...secretariat was 16+...I think Rock Hard Ten is taller....but will check further
  • edited March 2012
    She is one of the tallest, successful racers ....seabiscuit and war admiral were both 15+...secretariat was 16+...I think Rock Hard Ten is taller....but will check further
    Very true....Actually the horse in my picture is 17.3 hh himself, "18 Karat" is his name....Comformationally he's very similar to Zenny, he has very bad arthritis though in his hind legs (Not sure where). He had to have raced before but I cannot find any record of him anywhere. I've heard of other racehorses of such heights but have never SEEN such a horse other then Zenny, the other tall TBs I've seen were all unraced.
  • She's either 17 '2' or 17 '3'. The reason it's so amazing, not just because of How Tall she is but, How Massive she is! I had a OTTB Paint mare that was 17 hands and for a Mare that tall, she was put together very well but, it was impossible to keep weight on her. When I was riding (exerciser/training to be a jock) I used to ride a big black gelding that was 18 hands. He was Huge but, had so many soundness issues because of that massive body! Another thing about why you don't see manyTall Racehorses, soundness issues etc... Example, The Pamplemouse.
  • She's either 17 '2' or 17 '3'. The reason it's so amazing, not just because of How Tall she is but, How Massive she is! I had a OTTB Paint mare that was 17 hands and for a Mare that tall, she was put together very well but, it was impossible to keep weight on her. When I was riding (exerciser/training to be a jock) I used to ride a big black gelding that was 18 hands. He was Huge but, had so many soundness issues because of that massive body! Another thing about why you don't see manyTall Racehorses, soundness issues etc... Example, The Pamplemouse.
    Ah, I see...Makes sense. Like I said poor 18K has arthritis and probably laminitis as well....The school he's at doesn't take exactly "perfect" care for their horses. He isn't even given socks or joint suppliment.
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    Hi....think she is 17.2 or 17.3...a tall lady with a big frame
  • She is 17.2 hands high.
  • Yes, agree 17.2 hand high.
    She is 3 inches taller then my huge 16.3 hand Thoroughbred was, and he was BIG. I'm 5'9" and I can only imagine what it would be like to stand next to Z.
  • She's 17.2-3 hands.
  • Zenyatta's height listed in "fun facts" on this site is 17.2
  • Yeah that's what I read.... It's comforting to see another big nice TB ^^ Since 18K will probably be put to sleep soon.
  • I'm not sure how to go about finding out the exact height, but I remember one time Steve Haskin referring to Midnight Lute being as tall/big as Zenyatta. That is one thing that I wish the Stallion pages would list in all those ads, but if I was a horse owner and wanted to seriously inquire, I'll bet someone would happily supply the information - ha!
  • I think you can go to Thoroughbred Times' stallion register and look up most any horse and find out the height. Height, I believe, is one consideration when matching up a mare and a stallion, so this information is vital to know when planning matings.
  • Rock Hard Ten, Dynaformer and Midnight Lute are 17 hands tall. There's an unraced stallion in California named Spensive that is 17.2 hands tall. I thought Quality Road was over 17 hands but he's just under at 16.3 - and Secretariat was 16.2 hands tall. I believe that Ruffian was around or at 17 hands, Lisa's Bobby Trap is also tall, I don't know how many hands but an article mentioned that she was as tall as a bull moose - now that's tall. Jini's Jet whom I saw at the New England Thoroughbred Retirement Center several years ago before being adopted stood at 17.3. I also remember seeing a racehorse several years ago at Belmont who must have been around 18 hands tall. He almost touched the top of the paddock area where they do the saddling. There's a lot of tall TBs out there, but none as successful as our Zenny.
  • I stand corrected on Spensive, he did race although his registry didn't show that he had.
  • Thought of another tall TB: First Dude. I'm sure there are a lot more out there, but the majority of the ones that I named are horses that are regionally, if not nationally known.
  • Most very large racehorses seem to have joint issues as time goes on. I was always mightily impressed at Z's soundness. This must surely be due in large part to John Shirreffs' great patience with her development and Dottie's careful management of her racing career.
  • I think Mucho Macho Man is 17 hands and I read that Union Rags was around 17. The fact that Our Zenny did not race until she had a chance to mature is one of the reasons she was so good and sound. Or at least that is what I have read. Nothing can take the place of trainers and owners who put the welfare of the horse about anything else.
  • I think Mucho Macho Man is 17 hands and I read that Union Rags was around 17. The fact that Our Zenny did not race until she had a chance to mature is one of the reasons she was so good and sound. Or at least that is what I have read. Nothing can take the place of trainers and owners who put the welfare of the horse about anything else.
    Kostas Houtzakarias (Dream Team) says MMM is about 17.3 hands, so he is slightly taller than Zenyatta. And, he was a very late foal, June 15, so last year, he ran basically the first half of the year as a 2 year old against older horses. He was still immature...now he has blossomed with some time off to gather himself, grow into his huge frame, that many think he will be quite formidable this year on the handicap circuit as a 4 year old. He was one of my big favorites last year, and he did not do too badly, running 3rd in the KY Derby, certainly nothing to be ashamed of. He was one of only 3 horses to race in all three Triple Crown races, 6 in the Preakness and 7th in the Belmont.

• Thanks for the confirmation that I was not having a "Senior Moment" regarding MMM's height.

I won some good money on my show bet on him in the Derby!

He will be in Louisville in the Alysheba on Oaks Day.
  • Zenny is very large for a thoroughbred at 17.2, however it is her conformation that draws you (besides her talent) in. She is just beautiful. I used to exercise a friends Appaloosa/TB cross and she was 17.3 hands tall. I am 5'3" and needless to say, I had to climb her side to get on her. It was an experience I'll never forget.
  • I thought John S. said she was 17.5 hands.
  • After 17.3 or 16.3 etc, the next measurement is 18 hands or 17 hands. The number 17.5 is not used. A hand is 4" inches.
  • Would that mean she is 5 feet, 7.6 inches tall? The measurement is from the withers to the ground, is it not? If she is 5foot7, we share the same height.

When I was taking riding lessons I used to ride a horse whose withers were slightly above my head. Predictably, his name was Midget.
  • Would that mean she is 5 feet, 7.6 inches tall? The measurement is from the withers to the ground, is it not? If she is 5foot7, we share the same height.

When I was taking riding lessons I used to ride a horse whose withers were slightly above my head. Predictably, his name was Midget.
    Good one. :)))

• zfanzfan CaliforniaMember
    when he said 17.5 hands John probably meant 17 1/2 hands or 17.2.