Curlin

Comments

• Trainer Billy Gowan, third with Ride On Curlin: “He ran a heck of a race. He was hung nine wide and he got a little bit tired. We’ll be back for the Rebel.”

Jockey Calvin Borel, third with Ride On Curlin: “He ran good. He broke sharp. He got hung a little wide going into the first turn and he didn’t like that. I had to take him back and let him go about his business. He got a little heavy at the end.
    Terry Thompson, “He had a real rough trip. He got banged up basically from when the gates opened until he just gave up on me. He never go into stride. It was his first time going two turns and we needed everything to go right. Hard to go off of this one.”
  • Ride On Curlin – I did not like him going into this, but I must admit he ran very well with a very wide trip. He was eight to nine wide going into the first turn and went onto press a quick opening quarter. He then vied for lead and poked his head in front briefly through a decent/average half mile. Turning for home Tapiture put him away at the top of the stretch, and he never really looked like a winner. He did run well enough to hold for third, but I am not sure what to make of him moving forward. I am going to put him on the back burner for now, but at this time I am not too high on him.
  • Laurie: Top Billing—(Curlin - Parade Queen, by A.P. Indy) was beaten a neck by Commissioner in his first start at Gulfstream. Then the son of Curlin was ultra-impressive in an optional claimer, circling the field to win by 2 ¾ lengths over another nice colt, Surfing U S A. Top Billing is Honor Code’s stablemate and many people think that Top Billing could be the better horse. Top Billing is a half to stakes winners Untouched Talent and King Gulch. Some may recall that Untouched Talent is the dam of Kentucky Derby and Preakness runner-up Bodemeister. Top Billing is aptly named as his pedigree is filled with stakes winners. Major Contender.

Ashley: Top Billing—Hallelujah! Praise the racing gods! We finally get to see the hyped Top Billing in a stakes race. Now don’t think I’m questioning the genius that is Shug McGaughey, but I am voicing what we have all been saying. Bred to go all day long, Top Billing should have no problem with the distance, a fact he has already proven. Commissioner got the best of him two starts back, but as I have already stated, I think Commissioner got the better trip that day. I credit Top Billing for not spitting the bit or being intimidated into backing down while racing in close quarters that day. His come from behind style makes me nervous, but both he and Will Take Charge have proven that talent and ability can overcome the generally speed-favoring bias. Does he deserve top billing? We shall see. Contender.
  • Top Billing is one of two top Derby prospects for Shug this year: http://www.drf.com/news/kentucky-derby-mcgaughey-has-two-top-prospects-repeat-bid
  • Better Bet (13-1) won his turf debut in Friday's 3rd, edging 2-1 Lucky Views in a head bob. Texas Ryano (6-5) was 4th. #

Texas Ryano is by Curlin
  • Top Billing is #1 on this weeks Derby Dozen List. Top Billing Shug McGaughey

Curlin—Parade Queen, by A.P. Indy

He had virtually no chance to win the Fountain of Youth on that speed-biased track and shortened stretch, but did everything you want to see in a Derby horse except pick up enough points to feel secure. And he was beaten by two very fast and talented horses. He can’t afford to have another bad set-up like this, especially if he gets another bad post or runs into serious traffic problems. This is why I’m not in favor of having only two Derby preps, especially for a stone closer. You better hope for at least one clean trip and a favorable pace scenario over a track with a normal stretch. To show what a near-impossible task he had, after dropping over 13 lengths out of it after the first quarter, he ran his next half in :45 3/5 and three-quarters in 1:09 4/5, then came home in :24 1/5 and :06 1/5 and still had no chance to catch two horses who had sprinted clear and gone eyeball to eyeball every step of the way. He looked best accelerating on the far turn, and wasn’t really gaining much on the leaders in the final yards. This is a true Derby horse with an explosive turn of foot. He just needs to be given a chance to win.

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/kentucky-derby-dozen/archive/2014/02/24/derby-dozen-february-24-2014-presented-by-shadwell-farm.aspx#ixzz2uHIWyRfr
  • Top Billing – I loved this performance. He broke from the twelve hole and was four to five wide the first turn. He settled in at the back of the pack, commenced his late run and angled out three wide turning for home, and closed very nicely into a track favoring frontrunners. He lost nothing in my opinion by losing this race. In fact, I like him even more now. He is a top contender for the Kentucky Derby in my eyes. I hope he gets a fair track in his next start
  • Please Explain (Curlin - Lizzy’s Bluff by Pine Bluff) Tom Proctor – Top Billing is not the only Curlin sophomore with big talent. This up and comer has broken out with two big wins in Florida, one at Gulfstream and one at Tampa Bay Downs, after showing promise last year in Kentucky. She was flattered when the filly she easily beat at Gulfstream, House Rules, came back with two solid efforts. Don’t discount just because she’s based in Tampa.
  • Top Billing is #1 on this weeks Derby Dozen list: Top Billing Shug McGaughey

Curlin—Parade Queen, by A.P. Indy

No, he was not gaining with authority in the final yards of the Fountain of Youth (gr. II), as those critical of him point out, but to me that can be excused when you have to run your second and third quarters in :22 2/5 and :23 1/5 just to get within 7 lengths of the leaders and still come home in :24 2/5 and :06 2/5. Let’s not forget he blew by 8 other horses in the race and finished 4 1/2 lengths ahead of the fourth horse, so he was the only horse in the field to get anywhere near the first two, who are fast, talented horses who can carry their speed, especially on a such a speed favoring track. I have to admit he is probably the least accomplished horse I’ve had ranked No. 1 this late in the season, and I did toy with putting Cairo Prince back after his bullet work, but lifting horses to the top spot based on a work just confirms how screwy things are his year. Some day soon it will all make sense, but for now I have seen enough from this colt to believe we haven’t witnessed anything close to his best.

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/kentucky-derby-dozen/archive/2014/03/03/derby-dozen-march-3-2014-presented-by-shadwell-farm.aspx#ixzz2uw8oKuAa
  • Top Billing (Curlin - Parade Queen, by A.P. Indy) Shug McGaughey – This is a colt that I loved ever since I saw his maiden race at Laurel Park, and I have not seen anything yet to sway my positive vibes on the son of Curlin. Even in his losses, he looks good. Keep in mind, the high majority of Kentucky Derby winners did not go in undefeated. The Fountain of Youth Stakes at Gulfstream Park was supposed to be his acid test. In some ways it was, but in many ways it didn’t prove a darn thing, and I mean that in only a good way. His rally from way back could only carry him to third, but watching every race on the card, as I did, and you begin to realize just how good the performance was. If he can make up that kind of ground at 8 ½ furlongs on the speed favoring track of Gulfstream, imagine what he could do at ten furlongs at Churchill Downs, with the leaders wilting to all the pressure that comes along with the Derby. I have, and I like his chances.
  • Top Billing (Curlin)
    4: 2-1-1 $96,835
    Owner: Farish and Hudson
    Trainer: Shug McGaughey
    Jockey: Joel Rosario
    3rd Fountain of Youth (G2)
    1st OC75/NW1 Gulfstream Park – BSF 93
    2nd OC75/NW1 Gulfstream Park – BSF 91
    1st MSW Laurel – BSF 71
    10 Road to Kentucky Derby Points
    Kentucky Derby Future Wager Pool 1: Mutuel Field 4/5
    Kentucky Derby Future Wager Pool 2: 13-1
    Kentucky Derby Future Wager Pool 3: 11-1
  • KetaKeta Member
    2014 Hall of Fame announced March 7, 2014
    Four jockeys, four Thoroughbreds and two trainers comprise the 10 finalists on the National Museum of Racing’s 2014 Hall of Fame ballot, as selected by the Hall of Fame Nominating Committee. The candidates are: jockeys Chris Antley, Garrett Gomez,
    Craig Perret and Alex Solis; Thoroughbreds Ashado, Curlin, Kona Gold and Xtra Heat; and trainers Steve Asmussen and Gary Jones.
    Curlin, Kona Gold and Asmussen are finalists for the first time. Hall of Fame voters may select as many candidates as they believe are worthy of induction to the Hall of Fame. The four candidates with the highest vote totals will be elected.
    http://www.racingmuseum.org/news/news.asp?varID=364
  • Apparently curlin only bred 54 mares last yr
  • Top Billing fractured his cannon bone this morning, surgery tomorrow. Out of derby no doubt
  • Palace Malice game in the Gulfstream Park Handicap!
  • Apparently curlin only bred 54 mares last yr
    This really surprises me, especially considering how well his offspring has been doing on the track the last few years (?).
    I hope he gets more mares this year, he has some beautiful foals.
  • Shug says surgery went well today for Top Billing, prognosis is good, if all goes well he could return to training in 4 months.