Curlin

Comments

• I hope they don't sell Curlin to Japan because of lack of mares going to him. I would love to see him stay in the states....
  • i doubt they will do that
  • Gulfstream Park: Top Billing has surgery, might return to training in four months: http://www.drf.com/news/gulfstream-park-top-billing-has-surgery-might-return-training-four-months
  • Top Billing – fractured cannon bone during a workout – will be out of commission for at least four months.
  • Ride on Curlin ran a great race in the Rebel. Would hate to see Curlin sold or shipped out of country. Hopefully Stone Street will not let that happen since they still have an interest in him. 54 mares at 25,000 is 1.35 million dollars.
  • Ride On Curlin's next race will be the Arkansas Derby on April 12th.
  • Curlin is not going anywhere. Jess Jackson loved that horse and his widow will not allow that stallion to go anywhere. I'm glad he is not being overbred. He is doing fine at stud. His future is secure.
  • Ride On Curlin is #12 on this weeks Derby Dozen list: Ride On Curlin William GowanClick Here!

Curlin—Magical Ride, by Storm Cat

Maybe I’m getting caught up in the moment when it comes to the Rebel, but I couldn’t help but be impressed by the first four finishers, who did finish 7 1/4 lengths clear of the fifth horse and all earned impressive enough Beyer numbers. Pressuring Strong Mandate on the lead from the inside is not his game, but he hung tough the whole way and kept battling, despite coming out a bit in the final sixteenth. This is a colt who rallied from eighth, 10 lengths back, to finish a close third in the Champagne Stakes. He had a terrible outside trip in the Southwest, in which he lost a ton of ground and was forced to make a premature move entering the backstretch, and now he had to break from the inside and sent up to eyeball a top-class horse in Strong Mandate every step of the way. He’s starting to remind me of Oxbow from last year’s Derby trail. I just want to see what this colt is capable of with a clear off-the-pace trip. One thing, though, he is 0-for-3 at Churchill Downs. He hasn’t run poorly; he just hasn’t shown much spark over that track, getting beat as the even-money and 2-1 favorite.

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/kentucky-derby-dozen/archive/2014/03/17/derby-dozen-march-17-2014-presented-by-shadwell-farm.aspx#ixzz2wG4iVGb7
  • Ride On Curlin is #12 on this weeks Derby Dozen list: Ride On Curlin William GowanClick Here!

The Arkansas Derby doesn’t look as if it’s going to have a large field, and likely will not have Hoppertunity, so this is his last chance to go back to the running style that suits him best, which is coming from off the pace. Running on the pace is not going to win him the Kentucky Derby and likely will not win him the Arkansas Derby. Any horse who closes the way he did in the Champagne against Havana and Honor Code should be using that same weapon in every race. His biggest concern, however, is his 0-for-3 record at Churchill Downs, where he’s been the favorite in two of those races. He hasn’t run badly there, but his third-place finish, beaten seven lengths, in the Street Sense Stakes as the even-money favorite coming off the Champagne was extremely disappointing. He did run a fast-closing second in his career debut at 5 1/2 furlongs, run in a snappy 1:03 3/5.

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/kentucky-derby-dozen/archive/2014/03/24/derby-dozen-march-24-2014-presented-by-shadwell-farm.aspx#ixzz2wv5WYmjk
  • You can believe I will be rooting for Ride on Curlin!
  • KylKyl Member
    I'll be rooting for him too :) I've been following him since he came third in the Champagne against Honor Code and Havana. I know that there's a lot of good horses pointed towards the Kentucky Derby, quite a few of whom have beat him in the past...but I still daydream about him winning (or at least 2nd or 3rd) :)
  • Palace Malice wins the New Orleans Handicap
  • Ride On Curlin is #10 on this weeks Derby Dozen list: Ride On Curlin William GowanClick Here!

With the Arkansas Derby next week, he’s back on the list to give him one more chance to show he can beat these horses. But like Conquest Titan, he needs to be ridden properly. I liked his 7-furlong breeze in 1:26 4/5, going off slowly and finishing fast. He needs to get off the lead or even close to the lead and run like he did in the Champagne Stakes, in which he came from eighth, 10 lengths back, to finish third, beaten less than two lengths. If horses like Strong Mandate and Bayern slow the pace down, he does have enough tactical speed to stay in contention and still be able to close. He hasn’t been off the board in eight career starts and his Beyer figures are climbing with every race since he regressed off the Champagne in the Street Sense Stakes, which bring us to one major question mark and that is whether he is as effective at Churchill downs, where he’s 0-for-3. So let’s see what he does Saturday and go from there. I’m looking at him as a live upset possibility if he puts himself in a position to win.

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/kentucky-derby-dozen/archive/2014/04/07/derby-dozen-april-7-2014-presented-by-shadwell-farm.aspx#ixzz2yG9vWxkh
  • • Trainer Billy Gowan said Jon Court, winner of two of the past four editions of the Arkansas Derby, will have the mount on grade I-placed Ride On Curlin in that race.
  • Photos I took of the mighty Curlin last Oct. 2013 at Lane's End...One of these days I'll have time to upload the video. I did upload videos of many of the other stallions there.
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=554982587888904&set=a.554981624555667.1073741851.379310605456104&type=3&theater
  • Thanks Ashton, that is a great photo. He is so handsome!
  • Palace Malice pointed to Westchester at Belmont on 5/11 to prep for Belmont Day Met Mile (6/7).
  • Laurie: Ride On Curlin—(Curlin—Magical Ride, by Storm Cat) has been defeated by Tapiture three times. He fought gamely in the Rebel Stakes and was beaten just a length. He also gets a jockey switch to the always proficient Jon Court, who won the Arkansas Derby in 2010 – 2011. Still, I’m not totally convinced this son of Curlin wants to run 1 1/8 miles. His dam never won past five furlongs and Ride On Curlin’s only victories were sprinting. His second dam Victory Ride was a sharp sprinter/miler who beat Champion Xtra Heat in the Test Stakes (G-1). I’m going to take a pass.

Ashley: Ride On Curlin—Doesn’t run a bad race, but I’m still waiting on him to have his breakthrough performance and win a graded stake. In running the same preps as Tapiture and Strong Mandate, he keeps running into the same tough rivals, which has made the Oaklawn preps quite fun to watch. The rivalry continues here, but Ride On Curlin will have to dig deep and run the race of his life if he wants to cross the wire first. Play for exotics as he has consistently filled out the bottom half of tickets.
  • Ride on Curlin – Stammering around without a win or runner up finish in any Kentucky Derby prep put this pedigree hot shot in a predicament over the weekend. But, it wasn’t even close; Ride on Curlin made a late move and proved he may be worth a second look for the Kentucky Derby. He still doesn’t have a big win but he is consistent – G1 Champagne 3rd, G3 Southwest 3rd, G2 Rebel 3rd, G1 Arkansas 2nd.