Curlin

Comments

• Kentucky Derby 140: Backside Buzz with Jill Bryne 4.23.14:
  • Kentucky Derby 140: Backside Buzz with Jill Byrne 4.24.14:
  • Calvin Borel ‏tweet Thurs. April 24 2014
    @DRFLivingston Yep! I've been bitten (broken skin) by two horses in my entire career- RIDE ON CURLIN and Street Sense. Good omen?
  • Congrats to all the winners! I'm tickled about Curlin.
  • Ride on Curlin: a very nice looking horse, however he seem to be laboring during his Gallop.
  • Kentucky Derby 140: Backside Buzz with Jill Byrne 4.25.14:
  • RIDE ON CURLIN (No. 11) – Daniel Dougherty’s Ride On Curlin galloped a mile and a quarter Friday under exercise rider Bryan Beccia.

“I think we’re getting good,” trainer Billy Gowan said. “I sure like the way he went today.”

Groom Bridget Lambert, who led Ride On Curlin off the track, also is optimistic. “They’ve got to outrun him,” Lambert said. “He’s peaking at the right time.”

Gowan, who worked Ride On Curlin six days before he finished second in the Arkansas Derby (GI), is sticking with the same spacing and will work the colt Sunday.

“There’s no reason to change anything now,” Gowan said.
  • Ride On Curlin - Trust in Calvin is what many a Derby bettor has thought over the last several years. After fighting on gamely while close to the Rebel pace, he demonstrated a preferable late-running style in the Arkansas Derby. Relax early and let the fearless Mr. Borel find the holes on the rail wherever they may be. He won't be 50-1, but this could be Mine That Bird all over again.
  • Kentucky Derby 140: Backside Buzz with Jill Byrne:
  • RIDE ON CURLIN (No. 11) – Daniel Dougherty's Ride On Curlin galloped Saturday under exercise rider Bryan Beccia, and trainer Billy Gowan is planning to work the colt seven furlongs Sunday.

Dougherty, a local furniture dealer, was at the barn Saturday and expressed satisfaction with the appearance of Ride on Curlin, the Arkansas Derby runner-up.

"He looks good,'' Dougherty said. "He should be ready. They all look good. There isn't an ugly one out there.''

Ride On Curlin, a son of 2007-2008 Horse of the Year Curlin and the Storm Cat mare Magical Ride, has turned out to be a bargain purchase for Dougherty and Gowan. The colt, who cost $25,000 at the Keeneland September sale in 2012, has earned $414,687 in nine starts.

"We knew he had the pedigree to be this good a horse, so that's where you start,'' Dougherty said. "And as he started growing, Billy had him out at his house, and he could rip across the paddock really, really fast. So I'd get a phone call about three times a week, 'This horse is fast.' ''
  • Don't you just love it when an owner compliments the other horses!
  • KalarKalar Member
    edited April 2014
    I had that wrong. Correction:
    Race 6 (MSW) at CRC on 4/26/14, Calder Race Course, Maiden Special Weight, $23,800, 3, 4, & 5 yo's, Fillies and Mares, 1 mile 70 Yards, 1:47.78, Fast.

1 Curly Queen (Bay Filly, 3 yo), B+, $12,780 Wins it!

Curlin - Queen Mama, by Seattle Slew

B: Clearsky Farms; O: Joker Racing LLC; T: Thomas R. Schell; J: Manoel R. Cruz.
  • Kentucky Derby 140: Backside Buzz with Jill Byrne:
  • RIDE ON CURLIN (No. 11) – Daniel Dougherty's Ride On Curlin worked seven furlongs Sunday in 1:29 for trainer Billy Gowan, who had worked him the same distance six days before the colt finished second in the Arkansas Derby (GI).

"Didn't want to change anything,'' Gowan said."Just make sure he's got plenty of air.''

With exercise rider Bryan Beccia aboard, Ride On Curlin set fractions of :14, :27.20, :39.40, :51.60 and 1:16. He galloped out a mile in 1:43.20.

"I told him to work him slow and let him finish up down the lane, and he looked good coming down the lane,'' Gowan said. "So I think we're in good shape.''

"We weren't looking for anything real fast, mainly just maintenance and air,'' Beccia said."He just went there comfortably on his own down the backside and around the turn.''

The workout was typical for Ride On Curlin, Beccia said.

"The track's a little off,'' he said."It was a little dead this morning. It's not as fast as it was last night or anything like that. We weren't really looking for any speed. Just maintenance, just keep the air in him, and he responded well. If you want him to go down there in 59, he'll do it. But that was when we were basically sprinting.

"We're not trying to do that anymore. We're trying to get him to relax the first part of the race and get him off the pace, and he's working that way right now. He's not exactly dragging me all the way down the backside. He's relaxed. I've got a good hold of him, but he's relaxed. His ears are up. He's comfortable. At the sixteenth pole, when I reached up and asked him a little bit, he responded.

“He jumped in the bridle again and then basically just coasted around the turn for the last eighth of a mile (when galloping out). But real good, real comfortable, hit his marks good, hits his leads perfect. No problem.''

Calvin Borel has the mount for the Kentucky Derby.

• Following Ride On Curlin’s work, most of the talk was about the slow time of 1:29 for seven furlongs, following a half in :51 3/5 and three-quarters in 1:16. This was more than two seconds slower than his two seven-furlong works at Oaklawn. This colt seemingly has finally reverted back to his come-from-behind style. We all saw his speed when he won a six-furlong allowance race this year over a deep, wet track and when he battled on the lead the entire way in the Rebel Stakes. Coming from far off the pace, as he likely will in the Derby, he doesn’t need to be tested for speed, and he did go from the half to the three-quarters in his work in :24 2/5. Another positive from the work was the way he cornered on the gallop out, hugging the rail. Horses who are tired would have a tendency to take that turn wide and not drop in that close to the rail, which usually requires a degree of athleticism.

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/horse-racing-steve-haskin/archive/2014/04/27/haskin-s-derby-report-pletcher-on-parade-2014.aspx#ixzz308wpqXTq
  • Kentucky Derby 140: Backside Buzz with Jill Byrne 4.29.14:
  • Kentucky Oaks 140: Backside Buzz with Jill Byrne 4.29.14:
  • Liberated (by Curlin) will run in the La Troienne Stakes on the Kentucky Oaks under card. She will be ridden by Stewart Elliott. She is trained by Victoria Oliver and owned by G. Watts Humphery Jr.
  • Kentucky Derby 140: Backside Buzz with Jill Byrne 4.30.14:
  • Curlin stands at Lane's End. Ended 2012 top 10 freshman sire by earnings.
    Curlin first Foal was a Filly (A beautiful Filly) Lived to be ONLY one month old Had to be euthanasied
    Story is a (Paddock Accident) Can't find any information what kind of accident from any
    of the sites I go on. Does anyone have info regarding same.

Was that Rachel Alexandrea's foal?
    No. The foal was out of Zophie, by Hawkster. She was born January 12, 2010, suffered the paddock accident January 24, and was euthanized January 29. Details weren't released but she probably broke a leg or something like that. She was a half to G1 winner Appealing Zophie.
  • Kentucky Derby 2014 - Ride On Curlin and Commanding Curve:
  • So this brings us to the final spot in my superfecta ticket, where after much deliberation, I have decided to include four additional horses: Ride On Curlin, Tapiture, General a Rod, and Chitu. I had planned on using Ride On Curlin higher up in my ticket, but that was back when there was a strong possibility of a wet track on Derby Day. In addition, jockey Calvin Borel will most likely do everything possible to guide Ride On Curlin to the rail—even from post nineteen—and when the track is fast at Churchill, the rail can become a bit dull. As a result, I have downgraded Ride On Curlin to fourth place, although I could potentially change my mind if the rail looks all right on Friday and early Saturday.

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/unlocking-winners-handicapping/archive/2014/05/01/kentucky-derby-140-selections.aspx#ixzz30WAoTE3u