Curlin

Comments

• if it is a wet track on derby day how does that mess with Cali's chance?
  • RachelRachel Member
    Hes trained beautifully on a wet track at Los Al
  • okay good
  • 12th - #18 – Ride On Curlin
    Trainer / Jockey (Derby Mounts W-P-S): William Gowan / Calvin Borel (11 3-0-1)
    Running Style: Mid-Pack
    Why he COULD win the Derby: When Calvin Borel is in the irons and the race is the Derby, your horse always has a chance. Runner-up in Arkansas Derby without Borel was 3-6 wide from the ¼ pole while the winner (Danza) was on the rail throughout. Had a strong 7 furlong final workout on Sunday and comes into race with improving speed figures over his last 3 efforts.
    Why he SHOULD NOT be able to win the Derby: It’s a weighty issue as he’ll carry 8 lbs. more on Saturday than he did in the AR Derby. Outside isn’t conducive to his running style. If Borel wants the rail, he’ll be near the back of the pack as they head into the first turn. Winless in 3 previous races on the CD dirt oval (2nd, 3rd & 4th).
    Early Betting Odds : 12-1 compared to Morning Line Odds: 15-1
  • LyndaKLyndaK Member
    So hope he hits the board. I have like this colt all along. He is one tough cookie!
  • i love California Chrome & Ride On Curlin
  • RachelRachel Member
    Curlin had a very pretty filly win yesterday at churchill in race 12, called French Press. has a blaze that is centered from the bridge of her nose down about 5 inches LOL. very unique
  • haha Rachel could you get a picture of her?
  • RachelRachel Member
    no pics that i could find
  • LyndaKLyndaK Member
    I hope ROC goes to the Preakness. It was mentioned on Facebook that he came out of the Derby just fine. Commanding Curve came out good as well. My but Commanding Curve is a beautiful colt. I see our winner is a happy horse today from all the pictures.
    I am still in the emotional stage today...does not take much to make the tears flow. When I see a picture or read a post or watch a related video, they just flow. I even got tears this morning watching the video of his legs being hosed down.
  • Palace Malice's next start is May 11th in the Westchester Stakes.
  • RIDE ON CURLIN (7th) – Trainer Billy Gowan on Sunday was lamenting the trip that Daniel Dougherty’s Ride on Curlin experienced in his run to seventh place in the Derby.

After the break, Calvin Borel immediately steered Ride On Curlin from his far outside position to the rail, and he was racing in last place entering the backstretch. Inside running room never opened, and Ride On Curlin would up on the outside for a belated rally.

“No racing luck,” Gowan said. “He got over there (to the rail) and had nowhere to go the whole race, pretty much. Then, he gets out in the middle of track before it’s over with.”

Gowan pointed to a small amount of feed that Ride On Curlin didn’t eat overnight.

“That’s pretty good after racing a mile and a quarter,” Gowan said. “He looks good. It was just bad racing luck, bad post position. But he’s one tough horse. You’ve got to be proud of him. When he did get clear, he did come running, so that’s all you can ask, really.”

Ride On Curlin is a possibility for the Preakness, Gowan said.

“We’ll see,” he said. “If he bounces out of these races like he has been, we might try the Preakness. We’ll just see. He’s tough, so I expect him to bounce out of it good. We’ll definitely consider it.”
  • Ride On Curlin—I’m inclined to believe that Calvin “Bo-Rail” tried a little too hard to replicate his previous successful Derby trips aboard Ride On Curlin. At the break, he immediately took Ride On Curlin straight over to the rail, where they were dead last. In the backstretch and far turn, they moved up the rail, but as the field turned for home, Borel opted to swing back to the outside of the track since the rail was occupied by the severely fading Vicar’s In Trouble. After gaining a clear, straight path, Ride On Curlin came on willingly to greatly improve position. A sneaky good race if you ask me. The son of Curlin has been confirmed for the Preakness and will get a jockey change to Joel Rosario. The switch in riders and smaller field should translate into a better running for the colt
  • KetaKeta Member
    Rosario gets Preakness mount
    By Claire Novak | Bloodhorse.com Updated: May 5, 2014
    Joel Rosario, who finished 11th in the Kentucky Derby aboard General a Rod, will have the Preakness Stakes mount aboard Daniel Dougherty's Ride On Curlin in the May 17 race at Pimlico Race Course.
    Trainer Billy Gowan was not happy with the ride Hall of Fame jockey Calvin Borel gave the colt during his seventh-place finish in the Kentucky Derby May 3 at Churchill Downs. Ride On Curlin broke from the No. 19 post and dropped back to last as Borel took the colt straight to the rail.
    "I told him before the race that he had three-eighths of a mile to work his way over," Gowan said.
    Gowan said Ride On Curlin is doing well and would return to the track Wednesday.
    "He was not tired at all after the Derby. He only ran three-eighths of a mile," Gowan said. "He was more tired after his seven-eighths work [April 27]."
    http://espn.go.com/horse-racing/triplecrown2014/story/_/id/10886983/rosario-gets-mount-ride-curlin-preakness

• William Gowan’s Ride On Curlin was a disappointing seventh in the Derby after a poor ride by Calvin Borel. The son of Preakness hero Curlin gets a jockey switch to Joel Rosario, who won last year’s Derby on Orb and in 2012 finish third in the Preakness aboard Creative Cause. Nine Preakness heroes have sired Preakness winners. If Ride On Curlin wins, his Champion sire will add this distinction to his list of accomplishments.
  • Palace Malice is running May 11th in the Westchester Stakes He will be ridden by John Velazquez. He is trained by Todd Pletcher and owned by Dogwood Stable.
  • Seventh-place Kentucky Derby finisher Ride On Curlin galloped 1 1/8 miles after the break with Bryan Beccia in the saddle.
  • Daniel Dougherty’s seventh-place Kentucky Derby (G1) finisher Ride On Curlin galloped two miles on a sealed sloppy track under Bryan Beccia after the morning renovation break.

With trainer Billy Gowan looking on from the six-furlong gap, Ride On Curlin picked up the pace his second time around the track.

“I loved the way he trained this morning; he was very strong,” Gowan said.

Beccia, who has been the colt’s regular exercise rider since the first of January, was similarly enthused.

“That second mile was the most aggressive he has been with me all year,” Beccia said. “(The Derby) didn’t take anything out of him. I think he is better now than he was going in.”

Ride On Curlin will return to easy mile gallops the next two mornings before leaving for Pimlico Monday.