Trainer John Shirreffs

Comments

• I read same info in Bloodhorse about John. Good Move for HIm right now He will be back at Santa Anita in the Fall Racing is not what it used to be. Short fields at Santa Anita 4 day race week.
  • I believe Shirreffs main concern is the closing of Hollywood Park. He's not fond of speed-favoring tracks, Hollywood was synthetic and suited his style better. By the way, horses that race on John's preferred surface usually last longer because of patience.

Mr. Shirreffs is one of the few good guys in the industry. He truly cares about the horses he trains and wouldn't put them in danger just to make a buck. But oddly this strategy has led his guys and gals earn more.
  • KetaKeta Member
    Santa Anita notes: Eblouissante headed to New York
    By Steve Andersen Daily Racing Form 04/09/2013 3:15PM
    ARCADIA, Calif. - Eblouissante, a half-sister to 2010 Horse of the Year Zenyatta, is expected to be part of a 22-horse group that trainer John Shirreffs will ship to Belmont Park in New York later this month.
    Shirreffs said on Tuesday that his Belmont Park runners will leave California on April 22, and that more horses could be sent later.
    The 4-year-old Eblouissante, unbeaten in two starts, is expected to make her next start at Belmont Park. She is owned by breeder Eric Kronfeld, who lives in New York. Shirreffs said he is in the process of discussing with other clients which runners will be sent to New York and which will remain in California.
    http://www.drf.com/news/santa-anita-notes-eblouissante-headed-new-york
  • caseycasey any racetrack with camera in handMember
    edited April 2013
    I believe Shirreffs main concern is the closing of Hollywood Park. He's not fond of speed-favoring tracks, Hollywood was synthetic and suited his style better. By the way, horses that race on John's preferred surface usually last longer because of patience.

Mr. Shirreffs is one of the few good guys in the industry. He truly cares about the horses he trains and wouldn't put them in danger just to make a buck. But oddly this strategy has led his guys and gals earn more.
    This is the year that all the trainers have to vacate Hollywood Park for a thorough cleaning according to Dottie. In the past, John has always taken his horses to Del Mar. John has family in NY as well. Again, according to Dottie, they are not moving, he's just taking some horses there. Dottie gave no indication it was because of the expected closure of HP.

That being said, I think it's a good idea that Eblouissante be shipped east. We have few races here for her, and the ones we do have are few and far between. I hope she does well there. I'll definitely miss seeing her here, but onward and upward for her
  • If that's the case, Casey, then I stand corrected. I was just speculating. If Hollywood is going to go through a thorough cleaning, then that would mean they will stay open longer, right?
  • i read that hollywood park will have this spring meeting and then possibly close after that
  • caseycasey any racetrack with camera in handMember
    HP is committed to only finishing this year which will include a meet between the BC & the SA winter meet which will open 12/26/13
  • Everybody has pinpointed that HP will close at the end of the year, that being said, why are they spending all that money to "thoroughly clean" the area if they have one short meet left? It doesn't make sense
  • KetaKeta Member
    John Shirreffs' move east is sad sign for Southern California racing

John Shirreffs, trainer to Zenyatta and 2005 Derby winner Giacomo, will leave Hollywood Park, where a cloud of uncertainty hangs, to go to Belmont Park.
    By Bill Dwyre The Los Angeles Times April 19, 2013, 5:45 p.m.

John Shirreffs should not depart the Southern California thoroughbred racing scene without a salute. So cup your right hand to your forehead and read on.
    There will be no brass bands playing when Shirreffs leaves.
    That's partly because it will be early Monday morning, when racing bustles and everybody else sleeps. Moving vans will pull up to Barn 55 South and load boxes of racing equipment accumulated over three decades at Hollywood Park. That done, the quiet man in the baseball cap will head to LAX and fly east.
    http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-dwyre-20130420,0,4862031.column
  • Good Luck at Belmont Park John Shirreffs. I'm sure you will be missed in Southern California.
  • Good luck, John and Dottie. I'm sure this was a very difficult decision, but there are maybe some silver linings too...closer to KY?
  • Sorry John is gone. LA times had good article on him the other day. He is selling house in Arcadia That surprised me!!!! I thought he would keep some horses out here.
    The plus side, Belmont is a Top Race Course and HE will be closer to Cozmic One
  • I can't help but wonder about John's staff (riders, grooms, assistants, etc)...they moving too? I kind of doubt it. Maybe some will (if asked).
  • I'm so beyond happy he is moving. Well because I can see him all the time now too and Ebby is coming even better!!!! Love the east coast.
  • Does anyone know if the Moss will continue to use him as a trainer? The only sad thing about this is one day I had hoped to see a daughter of Zenyatta in stall 85.
  • Mr. Shirreffs hinted his disappointment with the leadership in California horse racing. He didn't say it directly, but I think he's disillusioned by the CHRB. Jerry Moss once was on the board of the CHRB and resigned. I'm not sure why, but if I read between the lines, there may not be harmony there.

One point: Bettors hate short fields, it weakens their odds against the takeout. But owners trainers and jockeys love short fields, it increases their chances of winning a race or getting a placing.
  • Mr. and Mrs. Moss have more than one trainer!!!!!!!!!
  • Mr. and Mrs. Moss have more than one trainer!!!!!!!!!
    Yes they do but i wonder if they will keep John as one of them? I know a few of their horses are still being trained by him.
  • Mario and his wife will be going to NY as well
  • Mr Shirreffs defection to New York is a big blow to the California racing scene. A couple of scenarios:

Eblouisannte will now be in NY

Cozmic One may race in NY-speculation

California loses one of the greatest trainers it ever had. Mr Shirreffs may have the reputation of being quiet and to himself, but him and his wife, Dottie, handled the Zenyatta situation superbly. I can't think of another trainer who would have let perfect strangers come to the backside area to see and pet Zenyatta. To do that, Shirreffs had to walk to the stable gate every morning and sign in the groupies. Plus he took many videos of his barn area for public viewing. It's interesting that he lives in Arcadia, home of Santa Anita, but commuted to Hollywood Park every morning. I'm sure he felt that that track was safer for his horses, despite the 37-mile drive, sometimes through heavy traffic.

Article in Bloodhorse concerning comments made by Shrreffs in 2010:

http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/wgoh/archive/2010/10/19/lost-opportunities-by-eric-mitchell.aspx

PS, I have done an internet web search of "John Shirreffs drug violations" and found nothing. Do the same search on just about any leading trainer and a bunch of stuff comes up.

John, you deserve to be in the Hall of Fame and I'm predicting you will be.
  • AmandaFAmandaF Member
    John Shirreffs will start his first horse at the Belmont meet Sunday 5/26 with the 3-year-old maiden filly Poster Girl in race 3.
  • Good luck at Big Sandy, John and Dottie. Belmont is a mile and a half track, the biggest in the country. Most major tracks are a mile in circumference. So the long stretch run at Belmont should help John's come from behinders.
  • AshtonAshton Member
    Live YOUR dream John, and best of luck and all that is good and full of joy to you. No one deserves it more.
  • KetaKeta Member
    Belmont Park: Fever kept Eblouissante out of Ogden Phipps
    By David Grening Daily Racing Form 05/23/2013 5:11PM
    When John Shirreffs shipped Eblouissante from Southern California to New York last month, he was hoping to have Zenyatta’s younger half-sister ready for Monday’s Grade 1 Ogden Phipps Handicap.
    But Eblouissante developed a temperature shortly after her arrival, Shirreffs said Thursday, which is why she didn’t make it back to the work tab until Wednesday.
    “She got real dehydrated when she first got here,” Shirreffs said. “She got a temperature about two days after she got here.”
    Shirreffs said Eblouissante missed about five days of training. After missing the Phipps, Shirreffs said he doesn’t have “any specific plans” for the filly, though the Shuvee Handicap at Saratoga on July 20 could be a target.
    Meanwhile, Shirreffs will start his first horse at the meet Sunday with the 3-year-old maiden filly Poster Girl in a 1 1/16-mile turf race.
    http://www.drf.com/news/belmont-park-fever-kept-eblouissante-out-ogden-phipps
  • KetaKeta Member
    edited May 2013
    David Grening ‏@DRFGrening tweet on Friday May 24
    John Shirreffs will start his first horse at the meet Sunday with the 3-year-old
    maiden filly Poster Girl in race 3.
    Keta Note: Yes, this info is in the Ebby story. Buried at the end