Trainer John Shirreffs

Comments

• KetaKeta Member
    edited December 2013
    Race 3 (MSW) at SA on 12/27/13 RACE REPLAY
    Race 3 at Santa Anita Park on December 27, 2013
    MSW 1 mile $56,000 2 yo 1:29 PM 1:36.47
    Cool Samurai
    http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/race/USA/SA/2013/12/27/3/race-3-msw-at-sa-on-12-27-13

Really liked Mike's ride. Cool Samurai showed he is green at the start of the race.
    Mike took him back, relaxed him, and got him in rhythm.
    Nice come-from-behind run.
    Noticed that Mike was hand riding him at the finish. Well done!
  • Thanks for posting the race, Keta. It was nice to see the Moss colors coming in first again. It was indeed a good ride by Mike.
  • Yeah! Got to watch Cool Samurai's race on TVG today! Awesome Race! I like the suspenseful final stretch to the wire!
  • It was a maiden special weight for 2 yr olds. It sounded lkke it was his first race. Got confused
    For only a second start it was very workman-like. He really was determined.
  • RachelRachel Member
    edited December 2013
    Ebby had a work today.

5 furlongs in 1:00:80, handily. Rank 14/44

At Hollywood Park still too. Training remains there still until january
  • In addition to Ebby, John has another lightly raced 5-yr old mare in his barn that is staying in training and not going to the breeding shed.....Laria (Giant's Causeway - Uriel, by Unbridled). She is entered today in a Maiden Special Weight at Santa Anita (Race 5). She is Moss bred and owned. Another Shirreffs' trained and Moss owned racer given time to mature.
  • In addition to Ebby, John has another lightly raced 5-yr old mare in his barn that is staying in training and not going to the breeding shed.....Laria (Giant's Causeway - Uriel, by Unbridled). She is entered today in a Maiden Special Weight at Santa Anita (Race 5). She is Moss bred and owned. Another Shirreffs' trained and Moss owned racer given time to mature.
    Thanks for bringing this girl to our attention. What a beautiful pedigree she has! I look forward to seeing her on the track and when she is retired for broodmare duties.

• VA_in_CAVA_in_CA Member
    edited January 2014
    Here's the race: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/race/USA/SA/2014/1/2/5/race-5-msw-at-sa-on-1-2-14. Laria ( #3) made a good late run from far back and made it to third. Nice to see the Moss colors coming from the rear again. The winner was ridden by Gary Stevens. Laria is a dark bay with 2 white socks on her rear legs. I think there was another horse (#7) also wearing Moss colors.
  • VA_in_CAVA_in_CA Member
    edited January 2014
    I was right. I looked it up and the other Moss horse in the race is Belonging, a chestnut. I've seen her race before, but can't remember when. Maybe one of the Breeder's Cup races? She's #7 in this race and sadly she finished last. Not her day.
    Different trainer; hers is John Sadler.
  • I was right. I looked it up and the other Moss horse in the race is Belonging, a chestnut. I've seen her race before, but can't remember when. Maybe one of the Breeder's Cup races? She's #7 in this race and sadly she finished last. Not her day.
    Different trainer; hers is John Sadler.
    Va i rhink you may have heard of her from the Backside55 facebook page?
  • No, because I don't read that page. First I ever heard of it. How do I access it?
  • Here's the link it's on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Backside55
  • Thanks for the link, QueenZFan20. Looks like a good one.
  • Its just a fan made page but they do have good information about John's horses (both in California and New York)
  • Thanks QueenZFan20!...

Before Maggie shuts down the site on 1/10/14...here's her last "farewell" facebook entry so you know how to access the equibase link: "Virtual Stable" she informs us about...Sad to see the end of this wonderful link...:o(

Backside 55
    December 31, 2013
    Hi everyone, as 2013, and the existence of Hollywood Park and Barn 55 South where this all began, draws to a close, I am writing to tell you this marks the end of the Backside 55 page, too.
    I know I had said that this page would continue despite Hollywood Park's closure, but unforeseen circumstances have made it clear that now is the right time to end it.
    I want you all to know I am eternally grateful for all of you, for making Backside 55 what it is. Thank you.
    I know change can be hard but please know this is my final decision and there is no other way. The time has come. I really appreciate your acceptance.
    And when one thing ends, it opens doors for wonderful new things to begin! If you want to follow specific racehorses, like Eblouissante, you can add them to a "Virtual Stable" on Equibase. Look at the very top of the page when you go to equibase.com and look for My Virtual Stable written in small black type.
    You can also follow jockeys, trainers and tracks there too, and get notifications about them sent directly to your email. It's worth signing up and it's completely free.
    Once again, thank you for making this such a positive, vibrant community. You've been amazing. I will leave the page up until Jan. 10 but I have disabled messages and posts. I know you probably have questions but at this time, there really aren't answers. Just know nothing horrible has happened or anything, it's just time and that's all I can say.
    With all my love and gratitude, here's to a fresh and exciting 2014!!!!
    xoxoxo Maggie
  • Yup, her page is closing :( and ive only started following it this yr
  • I am so sad to hear that the Backside 55 page will be closing. It has been a wonderful source of information. I liked being able to follow John's horses and keep updated on races and workout. Maggie did such a great job!
  • I also enjoyed that site. It always had a variety of great information and kept us informed with tidbits and pics. of John's horses. All good things come to an end and I guess this is another one. If any of you have a chance to visit El Vino's FB page it's worth the time. EV keeps mighty busy telling fans about "all things horse".
  • Peace and Justice, hes a colt by War Front is about to race at Santa Anita in race 6. Hes in post 4, its on the turf
  • I love that name...Peace and Justice!
  • Well, Peace and Justice was very green in the stretch but he blew them all away by 6 or so lengths
  • P&J (giggle) finally got his second win in 4 starts now after finishing 8th two times since his maiden win. I think this was his first time on turf? Not sure
  • Zenyatta baby is growing up fast
    By Eric Sondheimer Los Angeles Times January 6, 2014,
    There are hundreds, if not thousands, of horse racing fans who still love Zenyatta, the 2010 Horse of the Year who won 19 of 20 races and is now living the good life as a broodmare at Lane’s End Farm in Versailles, Ky. And 2014 could be an intriguing year for Zenyatta fans.
    First, Zenyatta is six months in foal with her third baby. She was bred to the Claiborne Farm stallion War Front.
    But even more exciting is that her firstborn has a name, Cozmic One, and he just turned 2 and is beginning early training in Florida. A son of Preakness winner Bernardini, Cozmic One looks like his mother.
    "I'm very excited," trainer John Shirreffs said. "He looks very good and the farm has gotten very good reports."
    http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-zenyatta-baby-is-growing-up-fast-20140106,0,160748.story#ixzz2pdG9alEU
  • Workout Notification:

Stanwyck (5-Year-Old Mare)

Date:January 6, 2014
    Track: BETFAIR HOLLYWOOD PARK
    Distance: Five Furlongs
    Time: 1.02:00 Handily
    Track Condition: Fast
    Surface: All Weather Track

• sheriffs has Blingo in the San Pasqual stakes, hes post 1