Kauai Katie and My Happy Face

124»

Comments

• Cotillion Stakes taken by Close Hatches
    By Sports Network Miami Herald Posted on Saturday, 09.21.13
    Post-time favorite Close Hatches took the lead coming into the stretch and drove to victory Saturday in Parx Racing's $1 million Cotillion Stakes for 3-year-old fillies.
    The 1 1/16-mile stakes was the co-feature with the $1 million Pennsylvania Derby.
    Trained by Hall of Famer Bill Mott, 8-5 favorite Close Hatches was making her first start in three months with Hall of Fame jockey Mike Smith riding in place of the injured
    Joel Rosario.
    Taking the lead at the start was 3-1 second pick Sweet Lulu who was joined by Close Hatches and 4-1 third choice My Happy Face in the nine-horse field.
    The three top runners set the pace into the backstretch where they were three across the track into the far turn. Around the turn, Close Hatches drew even with Sweet Lulu as
    My Happy Face dropped back.
    Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/09/21/3641633/cotillion-stakes-taken-by-close.html#storylink=cpy
  • In Trouble Signals Man o' War Line Survival
    Porter on Pedigrees By Alan Porter , Pedigree Consultants
    The Blood-Horse October 3 2013
    http://www.bloodhorse.com/Thoroughbred-Pedigree-Weekly/?&utm_source=PedigreeNewsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20131003

My Happy Face is important part of this article
  • KetaKeta Member
    Kauai Katie returns in GII Distaff Hcp.
    downthestretchs Posted on April 17, 2014
    Kauai Katie , will come off the Todd Pletcher bench to make her first outing since last summer up at Saratoga in Saturday’s $200,000, GII Distaff Hcp. for 4yo and up F/M sprinters, at 6f’s over the Aqueduct main track.
    http://downthestretchs.wordpress.com/2014/04/17/kauai-katie-returns-in-gii-distaff-hcp-post-positions-picks-ml-odds-free-past-performances/
  • KetaKeta Member
    Talented mare Kauai Katie returns
    Brisnet Updated: April 17, 2014,
    Kauai Katie, unraced since finishing sixth in the Prioress in July, will return to the races on Saturday when she faces an evenly matched field of filly and mare sprinters in Aqueduct's Grade 2, $200,000 Distaff Handicap at six furlongs.
    As a two-year-old, Kauai Katie won her first three starts, including the Adirondack and Matron, both Grade 2s. She then tired to fourth in the Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies, the only time in her career she has competed around two turns.
    At three, Kauai Katie easily won the Old Hat, Forward Gal and Road Princess before she stumbled at the start, pressed the pace, and retreated in the stretch when third, beaten seven lengths, as the 8-5 second choice in the Acorn in May at Belmont Park.
    Despite the loss, Kauai Katie went off as the 2-5 favorite in the Prioress at Saratoga. Once again, she tracked the leaders and came up empty in the stretch, finishing last of six, 6 ¼ lengths behind the winner. Following that disappointing effort, the Malibu Moon filly was freshened by trainer Todd Pletcher with the intention of focusing on a four-year-old campaign.
    "It was always planned to come back [in the Distaff]; it worked out, timing wise," said Byron Hughes, assistant to Pletcher. "She has been feeling great in the mornings, never missed a step out there. We'll see what happens. This is a difficult spot, but she's a very high-quality filly, and we think she's capable of competing at any level."
    Hall of Fame jockey John Velazquez rill ride Kauai Katie, the 3-1 second choice on the morning-line, from post 5.
    http://espn.go.com/horse-racing/story/_/id/10796225/2014-distaff-handicap-preview
  • Read about this today. Can't wait for KK's return.
  • EriNCEriNC Member
    I love Kauai Katie, but this quote,"This is a difficult spot, but she's a very high-quality filly, and we think she's capable of competing at any level." is not exactly true while Katie is good at the short distances. She has not had very much luck with longer distances.
  • I love KK too. I think she may take to the longer distances as she's matured. 3YO are still not fully grown in my view. I wish all the best for her!
  • EriNCEriNC Member
    She finished second to La Verdad. She was definitely not the same horse. I dont know if they were holding her back, or what, but she was just not interested.
  • i Think la verdad could be a factor with horses like groupie doll out of the division
  • Not sure what happened to KK. Watched live. Saw her break well and then she started backing up on the backstretch. Didn't know if something was wrong but it looked like it. Then she recovered in the stretch but couldn't make up the lost ground. Yet coming in 2nd after all that was a plus. Still, would like to know what happened.
  • EriNCEriNC Member
    Kauai Katie is probably done she finished 4/4 on Saturday. The race was at her preferred distance, but she never fired stayed last the whole race. here is the video.
    http://www.nyra.com/belmont/videos/race-replay/BED/2014/20140517/10/pan/