Today in Horse Racing

JJfromMNJJfromMN Member
I thought it would be fun to test our knowledge in Horse racing.

On april 15, 2004 this trainer became the sixth trainer to get 4,000 career wins. Who is it?

Comments

• Pletcher?
  • Nope.
  • Sadler?
  • Sorry that not right either.
  • Hint?
  • His frist name starts with a J.
  • John Sherriffs?
  • Nope
  • which coast does he train at?
  • Big Hint: Trains on the west coast. Famous horse:Lite Light
  • Hollendorfer
  • We have a winner it is indeed Hollendorfer. Significant Horses include Lite Light, Cause to Believe, Hystericalady, and Blind Luck. In may 2011, he was inducted into the US Racing Hall of Fame. Career wins as of now is 5,600+. He has the most wins in the history of Northern California race horse trainers.
  • Asmussen
  • Oops forgot to read JJfromNM. Congrats JJ :)
  • Today question: On April 16, 1995 at the age of 25, I became the yougest jockey to reach 3,000 win mark when I rode Maisonaire to a victory at Santa Anita Park. Who am I?
  • Kent Desormeaux is the answer
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    Kent Desormeaux is the answer
    I think you are right
  • Good job Sierra. His win count as of 6-4-10 was 5,294. Significant horses include Archers Bay, Best Pal, Big Brown, Free House, Fusaichi Pegasus, Kotashaan, Real Quiet, Stormello, Summer Bird, Sweetnorthernsaint, and Unrivaled Belle. Inducted into Racing Hall of Fame in 2004. Eclispse Award for Outstanding Apprentice Joackey 1987. Eclipse Award for Outstanding Jockey 1989 and 1992. United States Champion Jockey by wins 1987, 1988, and 1989. United States Champion Jockey by earnings 1992. George Woolf Memorial Jockey Award 1993.
  • April 17, 1972 I was born at Claiborne Farm in Paris Kentucky. I would go on to be a champion filly. Who am I?
  • Ruffian?
  • Rachel you are correct. She was the U.S. Racing Champion 2-yr-0ld Filly of 1974, 4th U.S. Triple Tiara Champion of 1975, and U.S. Champion 3 yr old filly of 1975. Honours include U.S. Racing hall of fame 1976, #35 Top 100 U.S. Racehorses of the 20th Century, #1 Top U.S. Female Racehorse of the 20th Century, Ruffian Handicap at Saratoga Race Cours, and TV Film: Ruffian 2007
  • On Aprial 18, 1990 I was foaled. I am legendary and my damsire is Seattle Slew. Who am I?
  • edited April 2013
    The mighty Cigar!

Cigar, April 18, 1990, Palace Music X Solar Slew (Seattle Slew) 33: 19-4-5. $9,999,813

Major wins include the Breeders' Cup Classic and Dubai World Cup along with many others. Older Male and Horse of the Year 1995 and 1996. Inducted into Hall of Fame in 2002.

Currently resides at the Kentucky Horse Park, where we all spy on him when his camera is working.
  • You are correct lauraj_cincinnati it is indeed the unbeatable Cigar. His racing record is 33: 10-4-5. He earned $9,999,813. He has a Timeform rating of 138. #18 Top 100 U.S, Racehorses of the 20th Century. He has a race in honor called the Cigar Mile Handicap at Aqueduct Racetrack. Also has a Life-size statue at Gulfstream Park.
  • On April 19, 2000 I guided a first time starter to victory in the second race at Keeneland, giving my 46 year old self 717 victories at the Lexington, Kentucky track. Who did I ride in the race and who am I?