Zenyatta has a FULL BROTHER

edited April 2013 in Zenyatta
Citing Coolmore America Ashford Stud, Backside 55er Janice Kehler Hollister has kindly passed the news that VERTIGINEUX foaled a full bay brother to Zenyatta on April 9th. Many thanks, Janice, and congratulations to Queen Mother Vertigineux!

Comments

• Congratulations to the Queen Mum! The lovely Vertigineux.
  • It's pretty cool, I have not read anything about this on The Bloodhorse or Daily Racing Form....but if Coolmore made an announcement I'm good with it, can't wait to see the little guy.
  • As excited as I am to finally hear something, I'm gonna wait until I hear something official. Especially after the whole "13Z is a grey filly born at the end of March", officially turning into a chestnut colt born early April!
    No offence to the person posting it.
  • V will leave a tremendous legacy to the racing world. She is extra special in many ways.
  • Citing Coolmore America Ashford Stud, Backside 55er Janice Kehler Hollister has kindly passed the news that VERTIGINEUX foaled a full bay brother to Zenyatta on April 9th. Many thanks, Janice, and congratulations to Queen Mother Vertigineux!
    I too, am excited and thrilled to hear this but with due respect to Janice at Backside55 (I love you on fb) I have to see it officially. So many inaccurate reports get out to the public, just want it to be "no doubt at all".

• Citing Coolmore America Ashford Stud, Backside 55er Janice Kehler Hollister has kindly passed the news that VERTIGINEUX foaled a full bay brother to Zenyatta on April 9th. Many thanks, Janice, and congratulations to Queen Mother Vertigineux!

I too, am excited and thrilled to hear this but with due respect to Janice at Backside55 (I love you on fb) I have to see it officially. So many inaccurate reports get out to the public, just want it to be "no doubt at all".

I feel the exact same way especially after the first report of Zenyatta foaling.

• Life is Sweet had a filly by Tapit this morning!
    Doesn't she also have foals by unbridled's Song and Smart Strike?
  • Update from Coolmore Stud on facebook: Good news for the fans who have been waiting.

Vertigineux foaled a full brother to Zenyatta at Ashford Stud on 9th April. Ashford Stud manager Dermot Ryan commented "He's a good quality bay colt, both mare and foal are doing well". A photo will be follow when available.
  • Can't wait for the picture!
  • Can't wait for the picture!
    I wonder what he will sell for? That is if Coolmore decides to sell him?
  • Update from Coolmore Stud on facebook: Good news for the fans who have been waiting.

Vertigineux foaled a full brother to Zenyatta at Ashford Stud on 9th April. Ashford Stud manager Dermot Ryan commented "He's a good quality bay colt, both mare and foal are doing well". A photo will be follow when available.
    Yay finally an official announcement, can't wait to see the picture.

• carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    finally...official confirmation....yeah...and pictures promised
  • He has mighty big hoofprints to follow. Looking forward to the pictures and seeing how he compares to big sis.
  • AllieinTexasAllieinTexas Member
    edited April 2013
    I commend Coolmore America Ashford Stud for sharing this information with her fans before officially announcing the birth of Zenyatta's full sibling. Allie in Texas, thank you so much for sharing this information with us. Seems fitting that all the folks on Zenyatta.com were some of the first in the know. Many, many thanks to Coolmore America Ashford Stud.
  • I commend Coolmore America Ashford Stud for sharing this information with her fans before officially announcing the birth of Zenyatta's full sibling. Allie in Texas, thank you so much for sharing this information with us. Seems fitting that all the folks on Zenyatta.com were some of the first in the know. Many, many thanks to Coolmore America Ashford Stud.
    I totally agree, Molly. Finally official from the farm!! Thank you Coolmore and huge congrats to Vertigineux and her new Street Cry colt!

Doesn't she also have foals by unbridled's Song and Smart Strike?
    She has a 2011 colt by Smart Strike named Disintermediate and a 2012 filly by Bernardini.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • How long are they going to keep breeding Vertigineux? Has she been bred every year? Doesn't she deserve a break? How old does she have to get and how many more foals before she gets to just be a horse and retire to a nice place?
    Most farms will breed a horse until they can no longer have a foal. She did have a break in 2012 when the first breeding to Street Cry didn't work.
  • I believe she had a break in 2011 -- when she was bred to Street Cry and didn't take. Mares will decide when their bodies need a break, if a mare doesn't take one year... She is usually given a year off.
  • How long are they going to keep breeding Vertigineux? Has she been bred every year? Doesn't she deserve a break? How old does she have to get and how many more foals before she gets to just be a horse and retire to a nice place?

Most farms will breed a horse until they can no longer have a foal. She did have a break in 2012 when the first breeding to Street Cry didn't work.
    They will be bred every year most of the time as long as the mare is healthy. The only reason they may not if it is too late in the breeding season after she foals then they would wait until the next year. They will get breaks because they will not get pregnant for one reason or another.
    Here is her broodmare stats.
    2002 Where's Bailey f.
    2003 Balance f.
    2004 Zenyatta f.
    2005 She was bred to Aldebaran did not take
    2006 Treasure Trail f.
    2007 Souper Spectacular c.
    2008 She was bred to Thunder Gulch did not take (this would have been a full sibling to Balance)
    2009 Eblouissante f.
    2010 foaled a Henrythenavigator filly
    2011 foaled a Henrythenavigator filly
    2012 Bred to Street Cry did not take
    2013 foaled a Street Cry colt.
  • Somethingroyal gave birth to Secretariat when she was 18, so I am definitely happy they bred her at that age!
  • There was an Olympic champion jumper from Germany many years ago named Halla. Breyer made a model of her. She had her first foal at the age of 16 and went on to have eight foals. She lived to be 34 so having foals at an older age must not have had a negative effect on her.