TRANSPORTING A HORSE

ninjabarbninjabarb Member
ORB LEFT Lexington by Van to Belmont Race Tract, New York Where he is stabled Distance about 600 miles.

Does anyone know if a lay over is done for this distance, do a couple of grooms stay in van with the horse?? Will a horse lay down on a long road trip How stressful is it on a horse to be put in a van for long period of time.

Comments

• RachelRachel Member
    yes, his grooms will be there with him along with other people on the van and horses. the horses stand all the way as they are in narrow stalls. shouldnt be all that bad of a trip, he came there to go to kentucky in the first place
  • I know some vans offer large stalls & small that is why I wondered If a horse would lay down.
  • RachelRachel Member
    no horses are able to lay down. its not cruel, just natural
  • ZenyenZenyen Member
    Also remember that a horse's natural state is now 'down'. Being 'down' is actually hard on that delicate digestive system.

Horses travel long distance like anyone else, some better than others. Usually they have a narrow, padded stall that helps protect from getting knocked off their feet by the movement of the van, a full hay net to chew on and in the big commercial rigs, as Rachel says, often a groom rides in the back to keep an eye on everybody.
  • caseycasey any racetrack with camera in handMember
    the semi transports have both standing stalls, and box stalls, so yes, if a horse wants to lay down, they can. Most don't though. Horses spend most of their day standing, even when they're sleeping. That's what their check ligaments are for- they allow the horse to remain standing while sleeping (we would fall down on our faces). The actual maximum amount of time they spend sleeping on the ground is 2-3 hours (for an adult)
  • Any travel time over 5 hours is considered long distance. Horses lose weight every hour during travel time. I called a friend at HP and he said travel over 8 hours should stop every 3 hours BUT have to have the proper place to do same

• RachelRachel Member
    im sure they stop at places but if the trip is short then no
  • KetaKeta Member
    Novak At The Track The Blood-Horse April 27 2013
    Team O'Neill Back for Another
    Last year's Kentucky Derby winners arrived at Churchill Downs
    with 2013 contender Goldencents on April 27.
    The duties of unloading are documented herein.
    http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/novak-at-the-track/archive/2013/04/27/Team-O-Neill-Back-for-Another.aspx?&utm_source=RacingRecapNewsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20130513
  • KetaKeta Member
    In Dec. 2012, this great information was shared by Justin Zayat‏
    People ask me all the time how do you get your horses across the country.
    This is an interesting video on flying horses.
    Flying Horses
    Uploaded on Jan 21, 2011
    How do horses travel from race to race?
    We got a rare glimpse into the world of equine air transport.

• KetaKeta Member
    Sallee Horse Vans - Meet Manu Davy
    Uploaded on Aug 23, 2011
    Manu Davy is an agent for Sallee Horse Vans who covers the Saratoga Springs track
    in New York as well as Monmouth Park in New Jersey.
    Listen to Manu as he explains why he does what he does and why you should ship with Sallee Horse Vans.
  • KetaKeta Member
    Keeneland September 2010 Sale
    Sallee Horse Vans Uploaded on Dec 20, 2010
    The employees at Sallee Horse Vans are much more involved with the sales at Keeneland than just being drivers.
    Meet our staff, see our equipment, and get a feel for how the Keeneland Sales operate in this short video.
  • KetaKeta Member
    Orb steps onto the van to Pimlico May 13
    NYRA VIDEO Published on May 13, 2013
    Kentucky Derby winner leaves Shug McGaughey's barn at Belmont Park and steps onto the van en route to Pimlico for Saturday's Preakness.

• RachelRachel Member
    edited May 2013
    i think its normal for Orb to hesitate going onto vans, he did the same when he was leaving from churchill
  • KetaKeta Member
    rachel,
    Orb is so smart. He wants to be sure it is his van before getting on. :)
    You are right about the hesitation. It took Jan several walk arounds to get him on.
    Hugs, Keta
  • That van is like a limousine to the better horses. Some travel in very small trailers that seem uncomfortable. I guess the horses have a certain "class" level of travel like us humans.
  • Thanks for directing me to this great information Keta. The videos were really cool. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who wondered about horse transport. Now, another question: Who pays for all of this? The owner? The trainer? This is obviously a very big business.
  • ZenyenZenyen Member
    Sandy,

It is an expense passed to the owner. The trainer might pay the actual invoice to the vanning company but they would then turn around and bill the charge into the owner's monthly fee.

Remember, these big vans rarely ship just one horse. Usually there are 4 or more horses on a van like this throughout its trip. The trainer might pay for the whole van to be just his stock but he'd then split that cost out to the different owners.
  • It took me a while to find my way back here, but thanks for the information Zenyen. I thought it was probably the owner, but I'd love to know more about how this all works (i.e., what expenses the trainer incurs vs what expenses are paid by the owner). Clearly the "purchase price" of a thoroughbred is only the beginning . . . . (and why most of us will never have one).
  • KetaKeta Member
    The company that usually has a horse in the air 'every hour of every day'
    James Crispe Thoroughbred Racing February 27, 2015
    IRT is the name of the company – International Racehorse Transport. But, were it not for the good reputation it has acquired during almost 43 years of trading, a name change would be in order to help inform the uninitiated.
    For nowadays much of IRT’s trade involves horses from outside the racing industry, be they family pets, polo ponies, or competition horses from the other sports such as show jumping, dressage, or endurance.
    https://www.thoroughbredracing.com/articles/company-usually-has-horse-air-every-hour-every-day
    From article:
    The one of IRT’s six worldwide offices where more than 50 percent of its traffic still involves racehorses is in Newmarket, the “headquarters” of British racing.
    And it is here, to a High Street office that backs on to the grounds of the renowned Thoroughbred auction house Tattersalls where the company’s European managing director, Jim Paltridge, is based.
    Later in article:
    “Our busiest route [from England] is to Australia, and the cost of taking a horse there is roughly £14,000, whereas to America, it would be around £7,000 to the East Coast and £10,000 to the West Coast.
    Note; Two famous horse they flew were; Makybe Diva & Black Caviar
  • I travel along the New York State Thruway from Rochester to Long Island a few times a year - i have seen the big Sallee and Brookledge rigs stopped at rest stops. I have never seen a horse unloaded - just people going in and out - checking on them - filling buckets. I would imagine that is the kind of breaks they take when making a 600 mile trek.
  • KetaKeta Member
    Enid Atwater · Feb 27 PHOTO
    Air Horse One!15,000 horses arrive for winter season
    Ever wonder how 15,000 horses arrive in the Palm Beaches for the winter equestrian season?
    Air Horse One!...

• Great picture.
  • edited March 2015
    Yes, Keta, great picture! I would love to know what kind of plane that is. It looks huge! It looks a lot bigger than the Sutton planes do inside. This one looks more like a military transport plane.
  • KMMKMM Member
    Haha. Obviously not on one plane.:) emergency air nozzles for horses? Don't really want to go there. K
  • Why is he being moved?