Lisa's Booby Trap (Queen of Finger Lakes) returns to racing!!!

DoreenDoreen Member
Lisa's Booby Trap made her return after an 11-month absence a winning one. Those who don't know her, she is a tall horse (over 17 hands) and she has a club foot and is blind in one eye. She is named in part after the trainer's late wife who died of cancer.

LBT ran at Finger Lakes today in the eighth race against 3 boys and another mare: http://www.fingerlakesracetrack.com/Replays.aspx.

She hasn't lost a step - it's as if she had never left the track. Not bad inner fractions or finishing time for her 1st race of the year - you go girl!!! It's nice to have you back.

There's a book about her and her trainer: The Ghost Horse: A True Story of Love, Death, and Redemption.

Comments

• what race was she in?
  • I tried accessing her video, but website requests for the date and possibly race #.

btw...You should also place her story under our Amazing True Horse Stories Category so we have a collection of "Feel Good" true horse stories we can all refer back to later. :o)
  • RachelRachel Member
    Oh yay, that's great. Been hoping she would come back
  • DoreenDoreen Member
    Sorry I forgot to mention that you need to click on today's date and race #8 on the link to watch the video. I'm a little technically challenged. I grew up when computers were floor to ceiling models. I believe that the trainer will be posting it to her facebook page too!!!
  • Tried to access with today's date but once you click May 7...that's when you get put into a merry go round. In otherwords...I couldn't access race 8. Is there another link or website that also shows this race which is more user friendly? I too come from a pre-PC era. :o)
  • markinsacmarkinsac Member
    edited May 2013
    Good story! I remember betting on her back in the day when I was still betting. She reeled off a bunch of wins and I think she even raced in the big apple, but lost there. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Finger Lakes is the blue-collared race track in New York State.
  • RosebudRosebud Member
    Very good story.
  • DoreenDoreen Member
    Good story! I remember betting on her back in the day when I was still betting. She reeled off a bunch of wins and I think she even raced in the big apple, but lost there. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Finger Lakes is the blue-collared race track in New York State.
    She ran three times at Saratoga, she won the Loudonville Stakes, she then tried the turf at a mile in the Riskaverse Stakes but finished last. I remember Kent Desormeaux saying after he worked her out on the turf that she took to it well. I would say that she is at her best as a dirt sprinter and not a miler - but I guess it doesn't hurt to try to see if she could run on the turf - especially after what Desormeaux said about her work. Both of these races were in 2010. Lastly, she ran in the Rachel Alexandra Stakes (2011) but she lugged out 3 times, was eased and finished last. She was then walked off the track.

Finger Lakes is the only race track that I have not visited in New York. I'm partial to blue-collar race tracks - hopefully I'll make my way to the track sometime. I remember going thru that area on the way to Niagara Falls. It's beautiful out that way. I used to bet a couple dollars on races up until a couple of years ago. Now I only go to races to look at the horses!!
  • I used to enjoy betting on Finger Lakes races. They were more formful than Aqueduct or Belmont and certainly Saratoga, which despite it's classy horses, I just couldn't pick a winner there with any consistency.

The one enigma at Finger Lakes was betting on big-apple shippers. Sometimes they dominated, sometimes they finished up the track. One thing that was for sure, they were always well bet on. So I decided to mainly bet against them.
  • msnap12msnap12 Member
    There is a book about her, "The Ghost Horse" by Joe Layden :)