Horse Racing Injuries and Fatalities

Comments

• caseycasey any racetrack with camera in handMember
    Horseracingwrongs is a PITA.... Drayden Van Dyke is an excellent bugboy, has empathy for his mounts. I don't know the trainer, but Drayden on his way to becoming one of the good guys....
  • RachelRachel Member
    yea, i dont like the website, but it gives updates on those we've lost. so i take that in to account. i dont agree with the things they say
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    Did not like site.....all negative....very inflammatory choice of language ....
  • Casey, Don't laugh, but what is a "bugboy?" Thanks!
  • WezzieWezzie Member
    A bug boy is an apprentice jockey. They get a reduction i weights on the horses they ride.
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    Hi Louise.....I think its like an apprentice rider.... the horse a "10lb bug" rides gets to carry that much less weight ....after a time the break in weight decreases until its gets to zero....its to help make new jockeys competitive as they gain experience ...but Casey can probably explain it better
  • Thanks wezzie and Carol, I had no idea. Once again, I learned something new here!
  • Me too. Thanks for asking Louise, and thanks for answering, wezzie and carolinarkansas.
  • RIP Noble Causeway the sire of 3 year old Samraat. Noble Causeway's sire was Giants Causeway and his dam was Mimi's Golden Girl, born in 2002 died May 27, 2014. Noble had 18 starts, 3 wins, 6 seconds, and 1 third, career earnings of $360,010. He was euthanized after battling hard against laminitis (which lead to many great racehorses having to be euthanized some being the great Secretariat, Barbaro, & Kip Deville) here is an article on him he was only 12 years old
    http://espn.go.com/horse-racing/story/_/id/11006968/noble-causeway-sire-samraat-dies
  • RIP Kissinginthedark 5 y/o mare died 5/30 Finger Lakes, of CV (cardiovascular event?) Trainer R. Ramos, claiming. Poor girl only won $371 for year.
    http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Results.cfm?type=Horse&registry=T&refno=8554964
  • RachelRachel Member
    Looking at her stats, she wasnt a racer. Her heart wasnt in it, she had 30 races with 1 win. Yet they kept trying, now they have a dead horse
  • I agree Rachel! Poor girl. I forgot to give credit to the Racehorse Memorial Wall worldwide for the info. That's where I got the info.
  • RachelRachel Member
    i havent been on that site in a while. theres also In Memory Of Our Racehorses on FB that has alot of info from the US as well as other countries
  • slewpyslewpy Member
    RIP Kissinginthedark. Sounds like she was used to fill claiming races. She should have been retired long ago.
  • If there is one thing that is going to turn me off from this sport, it is the way these claiming race horses are treated. I've seen some recently raced 4 and 5 times a month because "they can't find enough horses to fill the cards." And they push them and push them until they either die or cannot be retired soundly. It makes me sick.

I've seen two friends on twitter just this week say they aren't going to watch anymore because of the way these particular horses are being treated.
  • slewpyslewpy Member
    I can't blame your friends for the way they feel, louise. I feel the same way sometimes. Guess I've just accepted the downsides even though they can make me sick and haunt me for a long time.
  • edited June 2014
    delete
  • I still feel so bad for the connections of Noble Causeway he was such a young horse
  • Does anyone know how to delete a comment without having to type in edit or delete? Thanks
  • RachelRachel Member
    i dont think we have that option, might be something we could ask to have added in. would save sooooo much trouble lol
  • We'd have to do it within 4 hours. It really bugs me that we all have to suffer, chafing under this new editing limitation time span because of the improper actions of a trouble-maker who has been banned from the Forum and so won't be doing it again. There, that felt good. That's about as ranting as I ever get, usually.
  • Thanks guys!
  • RachelRachel Member
    i dont like the forum changes, certain ones. some make sense others seem meh. im looking around and theres COUNTLESS threads that are not being talked in anymore and are not closed out.

bah nvm, this is the horse racing injuries and fatalities thread. people probably think something really bad happened with all the comments now LOL sorry
  • RachelRachel Member
    edited June 2014
    Wekiva Springs dead at 23. Euthanized after he was found to have cancerous tumors. He was pensioned last year. He was the broodmare sire of the late Turallure.

http://www.drf.com/news/wekiva-springs-grade-1-winner-and-pensioned-sire-dies-23
  • RIP Wekiva Springs.