Horse Racing Injuries and Fatalities

Comments

• slewpyslewpy Member
    RIP Wekiva Springs.

I'm one of those who always thinks something bad really happened when I see more than 1-2 posts.
  • Me too...
  • Same here. It makes me nervous to open the thread.
  • EriNCEriNC Member
    Terrific Treasure (by Street Cry out of Treasure Trail) was vanned off today at Churchill. She finished the race last, and then was vanned off the notes of the race just say was vanned off in distress.
  • slewpyslewpy Member
    Doesn't sound good for her. Hope it's not life-threatening.
  • RachelRachel Member
    ill see if there is a replay
  • RachelRachel Member
    edited June 2014
    Found a replay, its race 6, she is the #8. Heading near the turn for the homestretch she starts to back up and slow down. She then gets pulled up in the race as the other horses make their way into the stretch. Thats all i see of her after that, she wasnt limping. Maybe a respiratory issue. http://www.churchilldowns.com/racing-wagering/toteboard/live/6
  • slewpyslewpy Member
    Race #1 at Monmouth Park, favored Kitty Mandu pulled up after crossing finish line. She was eased at some point during the race but did go on to finish. She was unsaddled immediately on the track. No further information about her condition.
  • RachelRachel Member
    i think that is the race where the winner crossed over infront of her while pulling up and made her stumble and almost throw the jockey. there was an inquiry which i hope that jockey got in trouble cuz it made me gasp
  • Any updates on Terrific Treasure?
  • slewpyslewpy Member
    Want to know about her too @marepower. Have been thinking about her.
  • RachelRachel Member
    i wasnt able to find anything
  • Me either! I've been looking.
  • Hope it's a case of no news is good news. Sometimes it is.
  • RachelRachel Member
    Well, perhaps she was just winded. If she was injured we would of know immediately
  • KetaKeta Member
    lisa roberts - Photo of gate incident & injury at Belmont Stakes
    California Chrome nasty cut on his foot & getting his front stepped on
    out of the gate..
    Enough said #justsaying

Keta Note: Horse is Matterhorn. Jockey: Joe Bravo. Post Position 3
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    Junior got stomped on....ROC bled....and Matuzak DNF....would love updates on all three of them
  • RachelRachel Member
    Junior has a minor grabber quarter, art said he'll be fine. Its actually not as bad as it looks, he'll get lots of rest at a farm and will be back later in the fall. Hes now back in California. Ride On Curlin bled from the nose but is fine today, i had no idea about Matuszak. Ride On Curlin was the only horse to finish last
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    Still no word on Matusak.....he did not finish.....
  • RachelRachel Member
    edited June 2014
    had absolutely no idea about this! This must of been when Coburn was getting the crowd's attention by waving his arms and yelling stuff and everyone was yelling with him. in the background of that scene i saw the horse ambulance travel by the grandstand

Shakin It up was pulled up past the wire by jockey Rosie Napravnik and vanned off the track. Dr. Larry Bramlage, a member of the AAEP On Call program, said Shakin It Up displayed "no instabilities or external swelling," but that he was lame in the left front and would be X-rayed and examined back at the barn for trainer Bob Baffert.

"He pulled up past the wire," Bramlage said. "The jockey felt him to be uneven and he was lame in the left front. Dr. Verderosa (New York Racing Association chief examining veterinarian) examined him. They didn't splint him or anything. He has no instability or external swelling. They just gave him a ride home in the ambulance to further examine him to be sure there wasn't anything wrong. He wasn't perfect when he pulled up."

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/85551/palace-malice-brilliant-in-met-mile#ixzz3448lSWER
  • KetaKeta Member
    horseracinghl on Sunday June 8 Ride on Curlin Update
    Trainer Billy Gowan says Ride On Curlin did bleed "about a 3 on the scale" but otherwise good after Belmont. "He ate everything last night."
  • KetaKeta Member
    Claire Novak ‏The Blood-Horse Sunday June 8
    Beholder exited Ogden Phipps with multiple cuts on hind leg.
    Flies back to California today.
  • KetaKeta Member
    Ride On Curlin to Get Some Time Off
    By Blood-Horse Staff June 8, 2014 3:01 PM
    Preakness Stakes (gr. I) runner-up Ride On Curlin, who failed to finish in the June 7 Belmont Stakes (gr. I), will be getting a break after competing in all three legs of the Triple Crown.
    Daniel J. Dougherty's son of Curlin bled in the Belmont and was eased at the quarter pole by Hall of Fame jockey John Velazquez.
    "He bled probably a three out of 10," trainer Billy Gowan said. "He ate everything last night and his legs look good, so that's the main thing. He was going to get a little break anyhow, so maybe it's time to give him one."
    Gowan and Ride On Curlin will head back to their base in Kentucky on Monday.
    Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/85592/ride-on-curlin-to-get-some-time-off#ixzz344ms25SJ

• RachelRachel Member
    edited June 2014
    This happened yesterday (6/7) at Golden Gate Fields

Michael Wrona @Michael_Wrona · 22m
    R9 @GGFracing: Tebows Big Play (Pedro Terrero) went wrong at 1/16-pole; Adriatic Son (Frank Alvarado) unable to avoid. TBP euthanized; AS OK

Both jockeys taken to hospital. Alert and conscious, but being kept for observation.
  • RachelRachel Member
    5/26 - Just Mizzy - Seizure like reaction, treatment by vet was unsuccessful at Finger Lakes
    5/30 - Kissinginthedark - Vanned off post-race, fractured leg at Finger Lakes
    6/7 - Lemon Sundae - Collapsed going to test-barn, possible heat stroke at Finger Lakes