Horse Racing Injuries and Fatalities

Comments

• RachelRachel Member
    Steve Andersen ‏@DRFAndersen 2m
    Quotient, second as 1-2 fav in Friday's 7th, was vanned off and taken back to trainer John Sadler stable, stewards said. #santaanita
  • RachelRachel Member
    Rosnberg, son of AP Indy, passed away on 5/14 at Im guessing Canmor Farms. Theres no death info, pic is of AP Indy but theres a video of one of Rosberg's wins
    http://www.canmorfarms.ca/rosberg.html
  • slewpyslewpy Member
    RIP Rosberg. But great news about Terrific Treasure.
  • KetaKeta Member
    German horse rider killed in eventing competition
    The Associated Press Posted on Saturday, 06.14.14
    LUHMUEHLEN, Germany -- German horse rider Benjamin Winter was killed in a fall during an eventing competition at a cross-country event on Saturday.
    The 25-year-old Winter from Dortmund received serious head injuries after falling from his horse Ispo at an obstacle on the 6,500-meter course. He was taken to a local hospital but died from the injuries.
    Event organizers say, "It is with the deepest regret and sadness that we announce that Benjamin Winter suffered a fatal accident while competing at the CCI (four-star event) in Luhmuehlen. On behalf of the whole sport, we would like to extend our deepest sympathy to Benjamin's family."
    The 10-year-old gelding was uninjured.
    Winter was regarded as a talent for the future. He completed the circuit without any errors with another horse, Wild Thing, earlier Saturday.
    Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/06/14/4178156/german-horse-rider-killed-in-eventing.html#storylink=cpy
  • Great news
  • RachelRachel Member
    Great news
    she means about Terrific Treasure lol just so we arent confused with the tragedy of the rider. how awful that is :(

• Thank Rachel. Exactly what I meant
  • KetaKeta Member
    Top Canadian horse rider, 30, dies after fall at international equestrian event in south of England
    Top rider died after suffering heart attack while on horse during trials today
    Jordan McDonald fatally injured after falling from horse after cardiac arrest
    Prestigious event attended by royals including Zara Phillips who competed
    Organisers forced to suspend trials for remainder of today after incident
    By Emma Glanfield Daily Mail Published: 12:55 EST, 14 June 2014
    A top horse rider has died after suffering a heart attack while taking part in an international equestrian event in the South West.
    Jordan McDonald, 30, who was based in Leicestershire but originally from Canada, suffered a cardiac arrest as his horse took on the jumps at Nunney International Horse Trials in Somerset.
    The prestigious annual event attracts some of the most famous names in the world of horse riding - including royal Zara Phillips.
    The royal rider took part in trials at the three-day event near Frome yesterday, but is thought to have returned to London today to attend the annual Trooping the Colour parade.
    An ambulance, air ambulance and doctor were sent to the scene in the grounds of Southfield House in Nunney at around 1.38pm following today's incident.
    A South Western Ambulance Service spokesman confirmed Mr McDonald suffered a cardiac arrest before falling from his horse and suffering fatal injuries.
    He was taken to Royal United Hospital in Bath, but could not be revived.
    Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2657933/Top-Canadian-horse-rider-dies-fall-international-equestrian-event-south-England.html#ixzz34i7BZ8Pw
  • KetaKeta Member
    edited June 2014
    Marty McGee ‏Daily Racing Form on Sunday June 15 2014
    Socialbug (B.Baffert) had to be euthanized in a.m. training breakdown.
    Awaiting word from Rosie agent, D.Ducoing, re her status. #Churchill
    Possible shoulder injury for Rosie Napravnik in training accident at #CD this a.m., per her husband, Joe Sharp. Awaiting x-ray results
    Among unknown implications re Rosie injury is how much time she'll miss
    and who would ride #Untapable in 6/28 Mother Goose if she's out.
  • KetaKeta Member
    Gary Contessa ‏on Sunday June 15 2014
    Friday morn Uncle Sigh was rolling in his stall and got cast.
    He is now perfect but was banged up a little and will miss the Pegasus today.
  • RachelRachel Member
    KellySummers Wietsma @equisponse
    @RosieNapravnik suffered mild separation of a/c joint (shoulder/clavicle) no surgery needed. Be out 4-6 weeks. Heading home now
  • slewpyslewpy Member
    RIP Socialbug. :( Get well soon, Rosie. Hope for quick return to track, Uncle Sigh.
  • KetaKeta Member
    Napravnik Injures Shoulder in Training Mishap, Sidelined 4-6 Weeks
    by John Asher | Churchill Downs Communications | 06/15/2014
    Jockey Rosie Napravnik is expected to be out of the saddle for four-to-six weeks while she recovers from a shoulder injury suffered in a training mishap early Sunday morning at Churchill Downs.
    Napravnik suffered what her husband, Joe Sharp, described as a “mild separation” of the clavicle at the joint in her left shoulder, according the rider’s business agent Kelly Summers Weitsma. No surgery will be required and Napravnik is expected to make a complete recovery from the injury during her time on the sidelines.
    http://www.churchilldowns.com/news/archive/napravnik-injures-shoulder-training-mishap-sidelined-4-6-weeks
  • slewpyslewpy Member
    edited June 2014
    Ring Weekend by Tapit was pulled up in the Pegasus, a prep for the Haskell, at Monmouth Park in race #10 and did not finish. However, Ring Weekend did walk off the track on his own. No further information. Uncle Sigh was scratched earlier today.
  • RachelRachel Member
    Man, what is going on :( hope he is ok
  • slewpyslewpy Member
    edited June 2014
    I watched the race live on TVG and I did not see what happened to Ring Weekend. I didn't even know he didn't finish until after the race. The caller did say during the race that Ring Weekend was backing up. The replay isn't up yet last I looked.
  • RachelRachel Member
    Theres a tweet saying he was empty around the turn and walked under the wire.
  • RachelRachel Member
    This was yesterday

@DRFAndersen
    Queen Kalyrra was scratched from Sunday's 9th after getting loose and falling over rail between main track and turf course. #santaanita

Updated info

Steve Andersen @DRFAndersen
    Queen Kalyrra was 10-1 at the time of the incident. She will require medical attention having suffered cut to left shoulder. #santaanita
  • Boy was I scared for Queen K as I was watching HRTV and track staff was trying to get her out of situation she was in. Commentary was that she was actually quite calm all considered but when they dismantled the rail to get her out, she tripped over some electrical cable (not live evidently) and she fell over. Once they got her untangled, she popped right up and appeared OK; walked off. Heard later she was going to be fine. Nothing was said about any injury but I wouldn't be surprised.
  • RachelRachel Member
    Well its said she had gotten a cut and will need medical attention for it
  • I don't know which race it was and which track, but I saw a horse reared up and then fall down..I think it was at Santa Anita Racetrack...to me it look like the horse had a heart attack way it just jump up...
  • RachelRachel Member
    no, it was probably spooked by something or was feeling its oats a little too much. too bad there arent replays for paddock/saddling areas. did the horse get back up? if the horse had a heart attack it would of fallen over and gone into "death throws" where the legs flail around.
  • RachelRachel Member
    Idk if this was already posted. Conquest Titan to undergo surgery for a displaced bone chip he sustained after his run in the Matt Winn stakes this past saturday
    http://www.onefasthorse.com/conquest-titan-will-undergo-surgery/130996/
  • RachelRachel Member
    edited June 2014
    "Case Statement and Sir Graham Wade were euthanized at Royal Ascot today."

Case Statement- fracture of the fetlock

Sir Graham Wade- serious fracture of the pelvis

http://www1.skysports.com/horse-racing/news/12426/9352412/two-fatalities-at-ascot