Horse Racing Injuries and Fatalities

Comments

• KetaKeta Member
    Tokyo Time wins spill-marred Belmont feature
    A:P Sports June 25, 2014
    NEW YORK (AP) -- Tokyo Time won the $77,000 allowance feature Wednesday, a race marred by a three-horse spill.
    John Velazquez, Cornelio Velasquez and Irad Ortiz, Jr. were the three jockeys involved
    Ortiz was removed from the track on a stretcher, and taken to a hospital for evaluation. Velazquez and Velasquez escaped injury and were cleared to resume riding.
    Roses for Romney, Ortiz's mount, fell in deep stretch, triggering the pileup while suffering a fatal injury. The other two horses in the incident, Ear D'Rhythm and Violet Hour, both walked off the track.
    The race went to Tokyo Time as she rallied from ninth to beat Ballerina Belle by 1 3-4 lengths in the turf race for fillies and mares.
    Javier Castellano was aboard for trainer Shug McGaughey as the 4-year-old won for the second time in nine starts. The time was 1:21.38 for the seven furlongs on the firm course.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=horse&id=11135969
  • RachelRachel Member
    Roses For Romney fatally injured in clipping heals incident

http://www.drf.com/news/irad-ortiz-jr-taken-hospital-after-three-horse-spill
  • RachelRachel Member
    South African sire, Kahal, dies at age 20 due to complications from adominal tumors
    http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/85860/south-africa-based-sire-kahal-dies
  • I remember watching this race at Saratoga and there was this horse Sarava's Dancer who ended up getting euthanized after breaking a leg it was so disturbing to watch the horse was only four years old I believe I hate seeing all of these young horses dying
  • RachelRachel Member

Roses For Romney died of neck trauma after clipping heals.
  • RachelRachel Member
    edited June 2014
    "2 yr old Ms. Clampett pulled up and vanned off during her first start yesterday @ DEL -- euthanized today. She was by Awesome of Course and out of a Smarty Jones mare -- Fancy and Smart"
  • Oh my God, I hate, hate, hate, hate these!!!!!! Poor baby, her first start! I hate it!
  • RachelRachel Member
    No sad news, but it is bitter sweet. Dave Litfin @DRFLitfin
    Lavender Road, whose half-sister Roses for Romney had to be put down yesterday, takes finale at $11.20 for Abigail Adsit & @Juniorjockey.

Roses For Romney died of neck trauma after clipping heals.
  • RachelRachel Member
    jockey injury

Marcus Hersh @DRFHersh
    Agent D Bredar corrects Sheldon Russell injury report: Broken foot & partial ACL tear. Hurt by 2yo in paddock pre-R1. #arlington
  • jockey injury

Marcus Hersh @DRFHersh
    Agent D Bredar corrects Sheldon Russell injury report: Broken foot & partial ACL tear. Hurt by 2yo in paddock pre-R1. #arlington
    Russell to Hospital After Arlington Incident:
    http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/85870/russell-to-hospital-after-arlington-incident
  • RachelRachel Member
    died during a vet examination ahead of a possible sale. what in the heck happened during that vet examination?

• Does anyone remember Sarava's Dancer injury besides me? It was on TV and disturbing.
  • here the latest news on tasty temptation and it not good :(
    At Lane's End Farm we have always prided ourselves on the exceptional care given to all of the mares boarded here. It has never been our practice to report the status of any of the mares beyond their owners and the people directly involved with them.
    Recently through Zenyatta.com we have become aware that fans are inquiring about the status of Tasty Temptation. Sadly we must report that she passed away in October of 2013 of an apparent heart attack. I hope that fans will accept this as closure and respect the privacy of the owner and the farm.
  • KetaKeta Member
    Jerry Bossert ‏Daily Racing Form Friday June 27, 2015
    Jockey Jose Ortiz will serve a 3-day suspension - Sun, Wed, Thurs -
    for careless riding incident that caused the 3-horse spill on Wed.
  • edited June 2014
    Jerry Bossert ‏Daily Racing Form Friday June 27, 2015
    Jockey Jose Ortiz will serve a 3-day suspension - Sun, Wed, Thurs -
    for careless riding incident that caused the 3-horse spill on Wed.
    Not to mention causing the death of Roses for Romney! He should have gotten longer.

• RachelRachel Member
    Oh wow, so they did do an inquiry and penalty o.o i was looking on another forum of this death and it was stated the horse had a history of being rank and running up on heels of other horses. Seems to me the jockey made no attempt to correct that this time :(
  • RachelRachel Member
    edited June 2014
    Its really not enough. If its found by the stewards that you caused death or injury to a horse or another horse in the race, you should be suspended without pay for a couple years. Its not just the horses, its the other jockeys as well, he put the lives of others around and behind him in that race, we are extremely lucky to not have dead jockeys. A dead horse is bad enough
  • Agree Rachel, stiffer penalty should be required if someone if found at fault after an inquiry. And more so with the death of a horse or human life.
  • KetaKeta Member
    Rachel
    The Ortiz brothers are leading jockeys at Belmont
    Both are young Both are in the spotlight.
    The injured jockey was Irad who was Jose's brother.
    The stewards reviewed the race and looked at what happened and why.
    It was a terrible lesson for Jose. One that could have been so much worse.
    Keta
  • KetaKeta Member
    This is an excellent article on the Ortiz brothers-long but worth the read. Keta
    Aqueduct: Father figure stands behind Ortiz brothers' success
    By Ryan Goldberg Daily Racing Form 04/04/2013
    One winter day at Aqueduct a decade ago, Efraim Rosa stood sentry in the jockeys’ room when Irad Ortiz, his old friend from Puerto Rico, came by with his two grandchildren, Irad Jr. and Jose. So close in age they looked like twins, the boys were still a few years short of their teens.
    “These are going to be my jockeys!” exclaimed the grandfather, who had been a jockey in Puerto Rico but was now working on the backstretch in New York.
    http://www.drf.com/news/aqueduct-father-figure-stands-behind-ortiz-brothers-success
    From the DRF article
    Pito observed how Cordero, by then the undisputed leader of the New York colony, kept his Queens home open for young riders who had left their families and their Latin American homelands, if they were good kids and wanted to learn. Not only riders, but stable hands and agents, relatives and friends, everybody treated the same as long as you loved the game. He mentored Pito. They talked horses, talked races, talked jockeys and strategy. When Cordero’s late wife, Marjorie, trained, Pito was her assistant.
    “Angel watches them closely,” Pito says with pride. “He watches three riders – Johnny V. and the Ortiz brothers. All the things I taught them, I learned from Angel.”
    Later in article
    When each brother arrived in New York, Pito offered introductory pointers: “Save ground. The trainers here want you to save ground. Have patience. The whip is not to abuse a horse, but to call his attention. Be connected with the horse.”
    More from article
    “I told Irad, ‘Know how the other riders ride, know their tendencies,’ ” Pito says. “He already knows. Know what they like to do, I told him, and you have them at your mercy. Know the guys who like to get off the fence, and then you won’t have to circle the field.”
  • KetaKeta Member
    Brothers to ride in Kentucky Derby: Jose and Irad Ortiz
    By J.J. Hysell In the Money April 18, 2014
    Brothers will be riding in the 140th Kentucky Derby. New York’s leading jockeys, siblings Jose Ortiz and Irad Ortiz, Jr., are named on mounts in the race on May 3.
    Jose Ortiz is slated to ride Wood Memorial runner-up Samraat and Ird Ortiz, Jr. is scheduled to be aboard Withers and Gotham runner-up Uncle Sigh.
    From NYRA release:
    According to available records, Irad Ortiz, 21, and Jose Ortiz, 20, will be the first brothers to ride against each other in the Derby since 1976, when Chris McCarron was sixth on Cojak and Gregg McCarron finished fifth aboard On the Sly.
    http://inthemoneypost.com/brothers-to-ride-in-kentucky-derby-jose-and-irad-ortiz/
  • RachelRachel Member
    Thats no excuse to ride recklessly. I dont care how accomplished u are in your job, you screw up and it puts everyone in danger. The jockeys all know this, so why did he do what he did? Now a horse is dead