Horse Racing Injuries and Fatalities

Comments

• RachelRachel Member
    Lets hope this never happens again, now onto the no penalties that Rajiv got in his reckless riding in the derby. He cut off 2 horses causing them to pull up sharply. And back when animal kingdom was in the belmont Rajiv broke out of the gate with Mucho Macho Man and came over on AK causing AK to pull up sharply thus causing a slab fracture when one of his legs came down hard on the ground (it wasnt too serious of an injury, it healed on its own with time off). I dont see anyone going after him :/
  • KetaKeta Member
    Apropos euthanized after suffering head injury prior to Chicago Handicap
    By Marcus Hersh Daily Racing Form 06/28/2014
    ARLINGTON HEIGHTS, Ill. – The 5-year-old mare Apropos suffered a serious head injury and had to be euthanized when she flipped in the paddock Saturday before the Chicago Handicap at Arlington.
    Apropos was in her saddling stall when she reared up, became entangled in the wall of the stall, and fell hard to the ground. The mare bled badly as Arlington personnel rushed to raise a screen and hide the scene from the crowd gathered before the Saturday stakes race here.
    Apropos lay on the ground for more than a half-hour, struggling at one point to rise, and delaying the start of the following race. Her bleeding had subsided when she finally was transported out of the paddock and onto the backstretch in a horse ambulance. The mare was given time to attempt to stand on her own but apparently had suffered neurological damage when she fell.
    Dr. Ramley Borderlon, an attending private-practice veterinarian, said Apropos probably suffered hemorrhaging somewhere in her body and that injury might have contributed to her untenable condition. She was humanely destroyed Saturday evening.
    Apropos, a First Samurai mare, was trained by Al Stall. She was bred and owned by Claiborne Farm and Adele Dilschneider.
    http://www.drf.com/news/apropos-euthanized-after-suffering-head-injury-prior-chicago-handicap
  • RachelRachel Member
    Oh wow, that is awful
  • Jockey Ore in induced coma after spill at Calder: http://www.drf.com/news/jockey-ore-induced-coma-after-spill-calder
  • RachelRachel Member
    Horse is ok after that spill
  • Wow. Sad news. Darn. Head injuries in both these cases. But horses can't wear helmets. Hope jockey is okay. She was wearing a helmet, but she landed apparently on her face since she suffered facial fractures. The helmet doesn't cover the face. Whew.
  • KetaKeta Member
    Ruben Muñoz ‏Sunday June 29, 2014
    Carve is a full to Apropos,who died today at AP due to a freak accident.
    APROPOS,WE LOVE YOU!
  • RachelRachel Member
    edited June 2014
    http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/85921/carve-at-his-best-in-cornhusker-victory

He runs for the same connections as Apropos, they also had another win with Size in the Iowa Oaks. Carve is just now starting to get good, figuring things out. Heres to hoping he carries on his sisters legacy.
  • slewpyslewpy Member
    Crushed about the news of Apropos. And such a tragic accident for her. RIP

Carve won the Cornhusker but won't be standing stud. Hope he continues to do well and goes on to live a long and healthy life.
  • slewpyslewpy Member
    Sugar Shock was pulled up in the Iowa Oaks. Any word on her?
  • KayJayKayJay Member
    RIP Tasty Temtation, Roses for Romney and Apropos.......Fly free, beautiful Angels :' (
  • RachelRachel Member
    edited June 2014
    Guess Sugar Shock is ok, she broke slowly and was never in contention, going off memory of the race
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    tweet immediately following race from O'Neill stable said she was ok
  • slewpyslewpy Member
    I watched live and saw Sugar Shock being eased. Later, the TVG host said she had been pulled up so I was concerned. Thankfully, she's okay. Wonder what happened to her during the race.
  • RachelRachel Member
    edited July 2014
    Chiffy - Penn - catastrophic breakdown of hind leg in lane, died of trauma from the fall. Ricks Cafe also collapsed and died on the track in the same race.

Elsaroarin 6/27 - Finger Lakes - broke down
    Western Grit 6/28 - Finger Lakes - broke down in training after 2 DNFs this past year (2013)

Commandeer 6/28 - Belterra - Broke down after several last place finishes in previous races. 6 year old
    Papa Doc 6/28 - Charlestown - Broke down
    Halos Wild 6/28 - Lonestar - Broke down
  • I cried my way through this. What a wonderful tribute to a man.
  • RachelRachel Member
    WOODMANS LUCK T 6/29/2014 INJURED CERIN LATS
    i dont know the extent of the injury, this is off the CHRB Vet List

* ATTA BOY PETE T 6/28/2014 SICK HOLLENDORFER J OTFA
    (Asterisk on the side means the horse has a history of being on the vet list)

as for this, i think it was mandatory to have her put on the vet list as she was pulled up in the race. they checked her over and even sent out a video of her jogging that O'Neil personally filmed for the fans on his facebook. They dont know what was wrong with her that day. Still, i dont like that Asterisk on her name :/
    * CLENOR (IRE) T 6/28/2014 UNSOUND ONEILL LATS

CHELIOS T 6/28/2014 UNSOUND PROCTOR LATS
    He just ran this past saturday, apparently was eased
  • RachelRachel Member
    edited July 2014
    6/26 - Mel's Game - Bad step, injured at Santa Anita

Beckermet dies at age 12
    http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse-racing/popular-veteran-beckermet-put-down-aged-12/1681867/#newsArchiveTabs=last7DaysNews

6/23 - Run Katniss Run - Reared and flipped in wash area, spinal fracture at Finger Lakes (Unraced 2 year old)
  • caseycasey any racetrack with camera in handMember
    RIP Guidopanzini aka "Pants" in a low level claimer at Oak Tree at Pleasanton today, in a low level claimer. Pants was pulling on his jock on the backstretch. His jock realized something was very wrong, pulled him up and he dropped dead of a suspected heart attack.
  • Sounds pretty suspicious to me. Sad story. Racing age horses should be way too young to be having sudden fatal heart attacks.
  • RachelRachel Member
    Guidopanzini.....Jersey Shore much? lol

Guidopanzini was 5 years old. He is by Giacomo out of Natural Glory (Honour and Glory). He raced 29 times with 5 wins. He has pretty much been running in Claiming and Allowance Optional Claiming races since 2012. Not a stakes race in his resume at all.