Horse Racing Injuries and Fatalities

1337338339340341343»

Comments

• RIP Mongolian Groom He broke Down in the Breeders Cup Classic and was taken to the barns in the Van but sustained a fractured Hind leg which three different Vets on hand all recommended him to be Euthanized.
  • Really curious about the jog on MG. It almost appears to come from the stifle but there is no bobbing of head as is characteristic of lameness. Thoughts anybody?
  • The write up said he was "bumped" by McKinzie who had grabbed the bit, tried to pass WOW on the inside where there wasn't enough room, then went to his right and into Mongolian Groom.
  • Is this the jog you are referring to?

https://www.xbtv.com/video/workout/mongolian-groom-galloped-at-santa-anita-park-on-october-31st-2019/

Really curious about the jog on MG. It almost appears to come from the stifle but there is no bobbing of head as is characteristic of lameness. Thoughts anybody?

• MG almost looks like he was doing the same thing that Justify was doing after the TC Race. If you watch the whole Video he stops jogging weird after being moved more. However I do pray he was not injured during these Jogs as there will be no hope for Stranch Group or CHRA if it is proven MG was allowed to race with a serious leg injury.
  • Considering the BC horses who were vet disqualified, that is not likely.
  • LionessLioness Member
    edited November 7
    nvm
  • Yes. However, it really isn’t that unusual in my trips to the track. A fair number os horses seem to “hop” on one back leg until they loosen up. Hence my “thoughts” comment. I see nothing in the lower leg and I do not see the characteristic head bobbing of a lame horse. I see a horse that appears stiff and needs to loosen up.
  • With the overabundance of caution being exercised for BC horses, if the gait we see in those videos was related to lameness he would have been scratched. Springsmom has a good point about loosening up, additionally I saw a horse who was on the muscle, on his front end and wanting to do more than trot.

Consider what happened in the race from this perspective. You're running a marathon and maybe it's against runners who are above your level, but you've been doggedly keeping up with their times even though you're legs are to that rubbery kinda fatigued near the end. But then, you're asked to skip for a few meters and as you start to break your rhythm, someone bumps into you. Not maliciously or all that hard but it breaks your concentration and you end up taking a bad step and rolling your ankle.

Asking a horse to switch leads, at 35+ MPH takes a significant level of athleticism and awareness. MG was tiring, he was asked to switch leads and bumped enough to distract. A combination like that, he takes a bad step. Unfortunately a rolled ankle for a human = catastrophic injury for 1000lbs going 35 MPH on the equivalent of a finger.
  • Great description Zenyen! As usual
  • Report: Mongolian Groom Trainer, Vet Say Horse Was Sound
    by Paulick Report Staff | 11.06.2019 | 8:43pm

The Thoroughbred Daily News reported Wednesday that Mongolian Groom's connections maintain the horse, who was fatally injured in the Breeders' Cup Classic, was sound going into the race.

Dr. Vince Baker, Mongolian Groom's regular veterinarian, said the horse's workout Oct. 27 triggered an episode of tying up, which resulted in tight back muscles. Baker said the horse's tying up episode was treated and Breeders' Cup veterinarians monitored his workouts and examined him Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday and as of Thursday before the race deemed him “completely normal.”

A story published yesterday on the Paulick Report drew attention to videos of the horse's workouts, including a video from Thursday, Oct. 31 that veterinarians say indicated lameness in the horse's hind end. The TDN story also quoted Mongolian Groom trainer Enebish Ganbat, who said the horse always took time to warm up at the jog.

Baker, like other treating veterinarians at Stronach Group tracks, is required to sign an authorization form certifying his patient is sound to compete in a race. Baker also revealed the intra-articular injections the horse received two weeks before the race were hyaluronic acid and triamcinalone in his hocks, which he said had no impact on the horse's fatal injury. Although an intra-articular injection will put a horse on the California Horse Racing Board veterinarian's list for five days, The Stronach Group does not permit intra-articular corticosteroids closer than two weeks prior to race day.

Read more at the Thoroughbred Daily News

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/breeders-cup/report-mongolian-groom-trainer-vet-say-horse-was-sound/