Horse Racing Injuries and Fatalities

Comments

• ZenyenZenyen Member

Just because we feel sad and wished for a different outcome and expressed how we envisioned Tizso's and other elderly mares last years of life doesn't mean we were attributing human emotions to them. We were merely regarding the life of the animal.

bleubetty said:

@Zenyen --- guess you are right, I was putting my human emotiions on this particular horse. Tizso was obviously a good and productive broodmare. She certainly had enough foals to to prove that as a fact.
    Every foaling is a roll of the dice for the mare and the foal. Tizso got lucky 16 times giving life to a foal, number 17 and the roll of the dice came up snake=eyes for this beautiful mare. That's a cold, hard fact.

Hope the foal's contracted tendons issue can be resolved and he has enough talent to achieve some level of success at the track.

Did I address you? Let me look.

No pretty sure I quoted blubetty, identified the verbiage of concern, explained why I found it concerning, blubetty responded with her thoughts and we moved on.

I see where you’re having a bad day of it. Might be worthwhile to shut off the computer, and the TV and step outside to touch some grass.
  • edited March 23
    How dare you!

I was addressing bleubetty and using "we" because her first comment about Tizso was addressed to me.

I don't need your condescending comment about how to handle my day. Why don't You take a break and while you are at it, create a New Discussion Thread, like you did once before, (making it all about you), just to tell everyone you are taking a break from the Forum.
    Zenyen said:

Just because we feel sad and wished for a different outcome and expressed how we envisioned Tizso's and other elderly mares last years of life doesn't mean we were attributing human emotions to them. We were merely regarding the life of the animal.

bleubetty said:

@Zenyen --- guess you are right, I was putting my human emotiions on this particular horse. Tizso was obviously a good and productive broodmare. She certainly had enough foals to to prove that as a fact.
    Every foaling is a roll of the dice for the mare and the foal. Tizso got lucky 16 times giving life to a foal, number 17 and the roll of the dice came up snake=eyes for this beautiful mare. That's a cold, hard fact.

Hope the foal's contracted tendons issue can be resolved and he has enough talent to achieve some level of success at the track.

Did I address you? Let me look.

No pretty sure I quoted blubetty, identified the verbiage of concern, explained why I found it concerning, blubetty responded with her thoughts and we moved on.

I see where you’re having a bad day of it. Might be worthwhile to shut off the computer, and the TV and step outside to touch some grass.
  • ZenyenZenyen Member
    I dare quite easily!

Especially when you make this fun. :)
  • Since you are being light hearted about it, I give you permission to be an ass. I actually don't want you to take a break, I'd miss being amused by you. :)
    Zenyen said:

I dare quite easily!

Especially when you make this fun. :)

• KMMKMM Member
    edited March 23
    Good! Please keep talking all of us! Humor, patience, empathy, and understanding are what I am trying to think about. We don't have to worry about the 6 feet of social distance here, it is safe as far as exposure to CV-19. Zenyen, actually very good suggestion--touch the grass, go for a walk, work in your garden.
  • Children, children!
  • KMMKMM Member
    Hey no patronizing or matronizing comments. A lot of people are on edge.
  • I get it, just said the same thing to 2 of my cats. They promptly curled up together for a nap!
  • KMMKMM Member
    B)
  • RachelRachel Member
    I had a mini heart attack when I saw 13 new comments here :scream:
  • Charles Town’s Leading Jockey Araujo Injured During Morning Training; Out Up To Six Weeks: https://www.paulickreport.com/news/people/charles-towns-leading-jockey-araujo-injured-during-morning-training-out-up-to-six-weeks/
  • RachelRachel Member
    Wow, he broke his neck over a jump, recovered and still raced at a top level. What a horse!

https://thisishorseracing.com/news/index.php/news/5825-maryland-hunt-cup-winner-senior-senator-dies-of-colic
  • Serena's Harmony - half to Honor Code - died last year in foal to Into Mischief. She has a two-year-old and a yearling.
  • Shamardal euthanized due to health issues
  • Sad to hear this, for those not familiar with him, here is a quick run down. He was bred by Brilliant Stable in Kentucky, from the first crop of Giant's Causeway and out of Helsinki, a Listed-placed daughter of Machiavellian and Irish Oaks heroine Helen Street, making the dam a sister to Street Cry.

However, just months after he was bought back as a foal by his breeder for $485,000 at the 2002 Keeneland November Breeding-Stock Sale, he was diagnosed as a Grade 3 wobbler – a syndrome caused by spinal cord compression in the neck that leads to a lack of balance and co-ordination, its severity ranked from 0 to 5; the highest grade indicating an inability to stand up.

Typical equine mortality insurance has an extension covering wobblers written to it, with many horses who suffer from the condition having to be put down. Brilliant Stable had the mortality claim paid out against Shamardal but fortunately for the horse he was bought from the underwriters by loss adjuster Richard Ketch and given therapy that led to a miraculous recovery.

The extraordinary start to Shamardal's life was soon forgotten thanks to his exploits on the track, which included a hard-fought front-running victory over the stronger-staying Hurricane Run in the Prix du Jockey Club (French derby)that certainly belied his adolescent weaknesses.

Shamardal's early problems receded even further into irrelevance during his stallion career for Darley. He was a success from the start, crowned champion first-season sire by progeny earnings in 2009 and in 2010 first-crop son Lope De Vega emulated his feat of winning the Poule d'Essai des Poulains (french 2000 guineas) and Prix du Jockey Club and second-crop son Casamento landed the Racing Post Trophy in good style at the end of the season.

Shamardal continued to deliver a steady stream of top-class performers, even though health issues in later life meant he was confined to covering smaller books of mostly only Maktoum family-owned mares.

Last year was a brilliant season for him, as he was represented by dual Royal Ascot winner Blue Point and French Classic scorer Castle Lady, while his first privately bred crop yielded an unprecedented three unbeaten Group 1-winning two-year-olds – the standout champion Pinatubo, Earthlight and Victor Ludorum.

In all, Shamardal supplied 146 stakes winners, 25 of whom have struck at the highest level including other celebrities such as Lumiere, Mukhadram, Pakistan Star, Speedy Boarding and Tryster. Early shuttle trips to Darley's stallion base in Australia resulted in Hong Kong star Able Friend and fellow top-notchers Captain Sonador, Delectation, Faint Perfume and Maybe Discreet. He is also emerging as a broodmare sire of serious consequence, with his daughters having produced Group 1 winners Awtaad, Hello Youmzain, Latrobe, Mighty High and Pretty Pollyanna as well as promising sorts such as Far Above and Premier Power.
  • Filly dies after training workout at Santa Anita
    Peter King on NBC Sports
    April 16, 2020, 12:53 PM PDT
    ARCADIA, Calif. — A horse broke down after completing a workout at Santa Anita and was euthanized, making it the 11th fatality at the track since late December.

M C Hamster, a 4-year-old filly, suffered a fractured left front ankle after a three-furlong workout on the main dirt track Wednesday. It was just the second day training has been allowed since April 6 because of rain.

more
    https://www.yahoo.com/sports/filly-dies-training-workout-santa-195339557.html
  • RachelRachel Member
    I dont understand what is going on at Santa Anita.