Horse Racing Injuries and Fatalities

Comments

• KetaKeta Member
    Gemologist working out & headed for PA Derby! Good news!
    Emily Grant‏ tweeted Gemologist a no go for the Travers, waiting for a possible start in the Pa Derby.
    Gemologist officially out of Travers
    Mark Singelais Times-Union Aug. 19 2012
    SARATOGA SPRINGS – As expected, trainer Todd Pletcher said today Gemologist won’t enter the $1 million Travers on Saturday.
    Pletcher officially ruled Gemologist out after the horse worked for the first time this morning since coming out of the Haskell Invitational at Monmouth Park with a lung infection.
    Gemologist breezed four furlongs in 47.74 seconds on the main track today, 10th of 54 horses at the distance.
    “I thought he worked well,” Pletcher said. “I’m especially pleased that he scoped cleanly. Looks like we got the lung infection behind us. Unfortunately, we’re going to miss the Travers.”
    Pletcher said before the work that Gemologist would have to do “something absolutely amazing” to make the Midsummer Derby.
    Pletcher said one possibility for Gemologist could be the Pennsylvania Derby on Sept. 22.
  • KetaKeta Member
    David Grening‏ of DRF tweeted
    Nick Zito said Jackson Bend walked the shed this morning.
    Sore on left side, the side he fell on. Zito:
    "He's happy. He bit me yesterday."

Yep, he is happy!
  • I just want to cheer people up a little: have just seen a small clip on the Sky racing channel here called Bred to Win - and they showed Tracy's little colt with his gorgeous clydesdale nurse Mum - having a good feed and stretched out sleeping on the lush grass. It was just beautiful to see after the pain of losing Tracy!!
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    I just want to cheer people up a little: have just seen a small clip on the Sky racing channel here called Bred to Win - and they showed Tracy's little colt with his gorgeous clydesdale nurse Mum - having a good feed and stretched out sleeping on the lush grass. It was just beautiful to see after the pain of losing Tracy!!
    thanks for letting us know....glad he is doing well

• KetaKeta Member
    Here is a link to Facebook. There are photos of Typhoon Tracy's colt & adopted Mom

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151003370326476.435554.126537456475&type=3
  • Thanks for those Keta. It's heartwarming to see how much love and care these top horse studs put into their charges: it must be so hard for them to have a situation like the foaling with Tracy occur, but put a spring into their step when things take a good turn.
  • Oh Keta, these are wonderful! Thank you so much for this. He is precious and "Mom" looks so sweet. Heartwarming! I hope you post them on the blog so everyone can see! Thanks!
  • KetaKeta Member
    Kathy & Louise
    So glad you enjoyed them as much as I did.
    It did warm my heart.
    Posting on Blog now-this morning was a scramble
    Hugs, Keta
    RIP Pete's Parley
  • KetaKeta Member
    Horse Racing | 2-year-old trio done for year
    The Courier-Journal August 20 2012
    Three stakes-winning 2-year-olds have been sidelined for the rest of the season — Maybe So (Mountaineer Juvenile victor), Circle Unbroken (Bashford Manor) and the filly Blueeyesintherein (Churchill Downs’ Debutante).
    The Al Stall-trained Maybe So, who broke his maiden closing weekend at Churchill, was scheduled to go in Saratoga’s Grade I Hopeful next. But Adele Dilschneider’s homebred More Than Ready colt sustained a back injury in a training accident last week at the Keeneland training center.
    “We don’t know exactly what happened,” Stall said from Saratoga. “The area is inflamed and we’re trying to figure out what’s going on. But it looks like it’s going to be a while. … Actually, there’s a line (crack) in a vertebra, so that’s not good. We’re bummed out. Hopefully it’s not career-ending, but it is season-ending.”
    Stall said more will be known after the swelling subsides. “The prognosis for life is great,” he said. “Prognosis for racing again is probably good, and the timeline is unknown.”
    Churchill trainer Garry Simms said Circle Unbroken, who finished second in the Mountaineer Juvenile, is getting time off after three hard races, with the emphasis now on having him at his best for a 3-year-old campaign. Blueeyesintherein would have been the heavy favorite in the Mountaineer Juvenile Fillies but was scratched with what turned out to be a hind-end muscle pull.
    “She’ll be off about 90 days,” Simms said. Of Circle Unbroken, he said, “We wanted to give him a little break. They’re done (for the year). We’re going to try to get on the Derby trail with the one.”
    — Jennie Rees
  • KetaKeta Member
    Classic-Placed Bodemeister Retired
    By Evan Hammonds, @BH_EHammonds
    Updated: Tuesday, August 21, 2012 3:05 PM
    Grade I winner and two-time classic-placed Bodemeister has been diagnosed with an injury to his left shoulder, it was announced Aug. 21, and upon deliberation among veterinarians and the colt's owners, a decision was made to retire the 3-year-old son of Empire Maker to stud at Kenny Troutt’s WinStar Farm.

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/72242/classic-placed-bodemeister-retired#ixzz24DGeERCO
    Hansen probably retired .....another 3yr old out....ugh
  • KetaKeta Member
    Hansen Injures Tendon, Likely Retired
    Updated: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 10:06 AM
    By Claire Novak and Ron Mitchell The Blood-Horse
    Last year's juvenile champion Hansen has been ruled out of consideration for the Aug. 25 Travers Stakes (gr. I) at Saratoga Race Course with an injured tendon and likely will not race again, according to his co-owner, Dr. Kendall Hansen.
    "This is the day I have always dreaded," Hansen told The Blood-Horse. "Hansen has a tendon injury and will likely not race again... I am in shock, and with tears and heartbroken."
    Trainer Michael Maker declared the colt out of the Travers Aug. 22, saying "He had some inflammation in his left front leg this morning and is not running."

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/72255/hansen-injures-tendon-likely-retired#ixzz24I88TVhG
  • Oh jeezzzz...Hansen and Bode both had retirements announced this morning. Ouch.
  • well bode had his retirement announced yesterday. we all knew he would most likely be retired because he has winstar wanting him once he does retire. plus hes got that 13 million dollar stud value that i heard about.
  • KetaKeta Member
    edited August 2012
    Here is an excellent video with a phone interview with Dr. Hansen by HRTV
    Good footage on Hansen (the horse).

http://www.hrtv.com/videos/hansen-injured-out-of-travers/

Also graphic with current Travers entries.
    Mike Smith is riding Atigun
    Keta
  • I have a question for all you experts again! I mentioned this on another thread, but it really belonged here, I think. I was reading about a horse that just started racing named Unbridled Way (something like that) who, it turns out is the tragic Eight Belle's full sibling. He's gorgeous and looks a lot like her. Wasn't there a problem with her pedigree making her very fragile? Why are her full siblings, same fragile pedigree, being allowed to race? I would be petrified to watch this horse run! I guess my question is was she bred in a way that made her fragile or was it just talk? And is this bad breeding for money? It just really confuses me!
  • He was bred the same year Eight Belles was a 3 year old. Meaning they liked what they saw in Eight Belles at 2 so when her dam foaled a Dynaformer colt in spring of 2008, they bred her back to Unbridled Song, the resulting colt foaled out in 2009.

Thus Eight Belles was alive and starting to really come into her own as a 3 year old when the mating took place. By the time she tragically broke down the mare was probably 60+ days in foal with the full sibling.

You might not see him race as according to the Pedigree database he was pulled up and vanned off during the Pegasus Stakes in June of this year
  • Zenyen, Thank you so much for answering me. Good to know she was fine when he was bred. Please know, I wasn't bashing horse racing, I'm a fan. It's just the breeding of unsound horses worries me for the future. Does make me sad that he has already gotten hurt. He is as beautiful as she was! Thanks again!
  • Z Fortune, the horse that was adopted out of new vocations has died of a heart attack. He was only 7
  • KetaKeta Member
    There are many reasons a horse get injuried.
    Shoes is one. Here are the tweets
    Teresa Genaro‏@BklynBckstretch
    Shoe didn't come off but bent, causing LIVE FOR TODAY to take a bad step.
    Has fractured sesamoids & is being shipped to Cornell..

Teresa Genaro‏@BklynBckstretch
    Multi-tweet update on LIVE FOR TODAY , vanned off from yesterday's 9th race.
    Just spoke to one of his owners. Horse grabbed a quarter
  • KetaKeta Member
    Z Fortune, the horse that was adopted out of new vocations has died of a heart attack. He was only 7
    Rachel, here is the background story on Z Fortune. Carolyn must be heartbroken.
    RIP Z Fortune. Keta

Z Fortune Dies of Heart Attack
    By Esther Marr, @BH_EMarr
    Updated: Thursday, August 23, 2012 3:44 PM
    Grade III winner Z Fortune died suddenly of a heart attack the morning of Aug. 23, his owner, HRTV reporter Carolyn Conley reported via her Twitter account.
    "Z was just rounding the bend to recovery from colic," Conley said on Twitter. "So sad; such a nice horse."
    Z Fortune, who ran in the 2008 Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) was adopted by Conley in May from the Lexington-based New Vocations Racehorse Adoption Program.
    The 7-year-old son of Siphon underwent surgery for colic Aug. 11 at Chino Valley Equine Hospital in California under the care of veterinarian Andreas Klohnen. Following the surgery, Conley reported via Twitter that Z Fortune had experienced a series of ups and downs in health. He suffered from postoperative ileus, an ailment that is common after a strangulating obstruction in the small intestine, causing a decrease in motility.

Z Fortune, who was raced in all his starts by Ahmed Zayat's Zayat Stables, compiled a career record of 3-2-2 from 15 starts, for earnings of $432,942. On the road to the Triple Crown in 2008, Z Fortune won the LeComte (gr. III) and placed in the Arkansas Derby (gr. II) and Risen Star (gr. III). Later that year, he also placed in the Ohio Derby (gr. III).
    Bred in New York by Delehanty Stock Farm, Z Fortune was out of the Fortunate Prospect mare Fortunate Faith.
    Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/72291/z-fortune-dies-of-heart-attack#ixzz24P2MQEVP
  • Rachel...I also just saw the news about Z Fortune. Owned(adopted) by Carolyn Connely, commentator for HRTV. I read he was just recovering from colic surgery. So sad. Condolences to Carolyn and all who loved him.
  • What race track was that accident with the bent shoe at? Was it Saratoga?
  • KetaKeta Member
    What race track was that accident with the bent shoe at? Was it Saratoga?
    Rachel, yes it was Saratoga during Race 9 on Wed. 22nd.
    Apparently,at first, they did not realize it was the shoe
    Cornell is a great equine facility and not too far from Saratoga
    Keta