Horse Racing Injuries and Fatalities

Comments

• got a new one and it sounds like he doesnt have a very good future ahead: Unbridled's Way ( full brother to Eight Belles)Pulled up & vanned off from the Pegasus Stakes 6/17/2012 at Monmouth Park.(Has since been gelded and sold w/o pedigree.)
  • Oh wow
  • KetaKeta Member
    Paynter Update Fri Aug 31st Improving!
    A.ZAYAT‏@jazz3162
    I just got off the phone with Dr. Javiscas VMD, DACVIM. very upbeat phone call. With alot of laughter and happiness. We do not want to get ahead of ourselves here but Paynter continues to be stable/ improving from the morning. His appetite is now pretty good. He has perked up and is actually fighting with Laura which is the normal Paynter we know. Very excited to hear that temp has broke. His diarrhea has slowed down significantly. His lungs are the same as yesterday. Bloodwork came perfect. Shows no sign of fungus infection in his blood at this stage. All in all I will continue to take these baby steps towards god willing a full recovery. #keepgoingpaynter #warrior #fighter #specialcolt being loved so much by his fans.

Keta Note: Next tweet said that there will be no updates on Saturday. So, don’t be concerned if you don’t hear anything tomorrow.
  • First Curlin foal reportedly out with injury: Palace Malice. Will miss rest of two year old races with bucked shins. Trained by Todd Pletcher. I think hes hard on his horses
  • shackleford scratched from Forego. "just a little cough"
  • Shackleford to Miss Forego (Keta Note: Headed for Kelso Stakes)
    By Claire Novak, @BH_CNovak
    Updated: Saturday, September 1, 2012 2:31 PM
    Multiple grade I winner Shackleford will not run in the $500,000 Forego Stakes (gr. I) at Saratoga Race Course Sept. 1, trainer Dale Romans said the morning of the race.
    "He's fine, he's just got a little cough," said Romans, adding the 4-year-old son of Forestry failed to clean up his feed tub that morning and had been coughing last week as well.
    “We’re going to play it safe,” he said.
    Shackleford, 2-1 favorite on the morning line for the seven-furlong Forego, will instead return to Romans' home base at Churchill Downs. The chestnut colt will train there in preparation for the Sept. 29 Kelso Stakes (gr. II) at Belmont Park.
    "I'l get him ready and bring him back for that," Romans said
    Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/72508/shackleford-to-miss-forego#ixzz25FFjyQR6
  • R.I.P. Turf Champ Theatrical.
  • Jackson Bend to go on long rest
    Mark Singelais‏ tweet
    3-2 favorite Emcee wins the Grade I Forego at Saratoga. Jackson Bend finished last, coming off his collision on the Oklahoma last month
    Mike MacAdam‏ tweet
    Nick Zito said Jackson Bend was flat, may not be mentally recovered from collision. May get long rest on farm.
    Thoroughbred Times‏ tweet
    Zito on Jackson Bend, 7th in Forego: "I think we’ll give him a long rest now. The jock said he was flat. All the tests came back fine
  • I figured something was up cuz normally his mid pack somewhere close this time he was behind and didn't really fire
  • Jackson Bend wasn't flat, he was flattened. Even if all tests came back normal, how does a horse race after an experience like that. It was reported that his lights were out for over 5 minutes as he lay motionless on the track. Hopefully the race helped him.
  • Paynter Update on Sunday Sept. 2 in morning
    A.ZAYAT tweet: Paynter update: Our angel Dr. Javiscas VMD, DACVIM. reports that Paynters temperature has been normal. His White blood count is normal. He is brighter today. Still has diarrhea, his protein levels have dropped so we have him more plasma last night and it has improved this morning. Appetite is fair. We are trying new foods.. We will update more later today
    Justin Zayat tweeted next: Paynter heading in right direction. Long way to go.
    As soon as his diarrhea improves we will take him out to graze
    Keta Note: A. Zayat did a series of Tweets which I put together in one message.
  • Paynter Updates Sunday Sept. 2 5:36 pm A.ZAYAT‏ tweets "a huge sigh of relief"
    Our star Paynter is responding to all your prayers and good wishes, all his vets are doing a fantastic job! We are so blessed
    So all in all with his improved attitude,demeanor,his normal blood work and chemistry I am getting a huge sigh of relief
    It's good to hear that after Dr. Laura groomed him he rolled in his clean shavings like a normal horse
    His temperature and blood are both normal. His feet are perfect. It seems that Paynter has taken a big step today
    Paynter update: Our warrior is being himself for the first time today. He is no longer timid with Laura in his stall
    In fact he was fighting her as she tried to do an ultrasound on him. His appetite has increased and his attitude is playful
    Paynter update ; best report we have had so far coming shortly , prayers must be working #Laura my angel #fantastic job
  • Next 24 Hours 'Critical' in Case of Paynter
    By Claire Novak, @BH_CNovak
    Updated: Monday, September 3, 2012 8:58 PM
    The next 24 hours are critical in the recovery process of ailing Haskell Invitational (gr. I) winner Paynter, owner Ahmed Zayat said Sept. 3.
    The 3-year-old colt has an infection at a catheter site and has also developed clotting in his veins as a result of low protein while battling colitis—inflammation of the colon—at Upstate Equine Medical Center in Schuylerville, N.Y., just outside Saratoga Springs.
    "I personally have zero tolerance for the word 'suffering,'" Zayat said. "It is important that we give our warrior a chance to fight and battle his illness but also (keep) our eye on our goal, which is to get him healthy and happy - but not at any cost. Paynter has been good to all of us and we need to treat him with the love and dignity that he deserves. Laura and I and all his vets and Bob Baffert are particularly conscious of that. We once again ask for your prayers, as the next 24 hours will tell the tale."

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/72574/next-24-hours-critical-in-case-of-paynter#ixzz25SYAFyK1
  • Teeth of the dog was vanned off track after crossing finish line in smarty jones stakes. No word on his condition
  • Read this on Wopular web site re Del Mar yesterday:

"Del Mar lost two horses on Sunday, with Aphorism breaking down early in the morning and Warren's Today suffering a catastrophic injury in the 11th and last race of the card Sunday night."

No other details were available.
  • Wonder why so many breakdowns at Del Mar lately? I read there had been nine since last month, now 11?
  • Thats odd, i just looked at that last race for sunday and warrens today won that race but didnt break down
  • Rachel according to horse races now app warrens today was vanned off
  • I read the chart wrong on the app. He/she was the #6 horse
  • Paynter has laminitis in 3 of 4 feet. Recovery at this point is slim to none for me
  • 'Nightmare scenario'; Paynter develops laminitis
    by Ray Paulick | 09.04.2012 | 2:53pm
    Ahmed Zayat published a series of posts on his Twitter account (@jazz3162) Tuesday afternoon that paint a grim picture for his Grade 1-winning 3-year-old Paynter. The Awesome Again colt, who's been battling colitis for the last nine days, has now developed laminitis in three of his four feet. Zayat said he will leave it up to veterinarians to make the call on whether or not to continue the battles.

"We need to be compassionate and merciful and treat our star with the respect and love that he deserves while giving him the best chance in fighting for his life," Zayat said.
    http://www.paulickreport.com/news/ray-s-paddock/nightmare-scenario-paynter-develops-laminitis/
  • Paynter Update Tues. Sept 4 at 6 pm PDT A. Zayat tweets
    Paynter update: here is what we are trying to do to help paynter fight his battle, it will take a miracle but he is a fighter Paynter had mild signs of foot pain today and mild radiographic changes.
    We flew in Dr. Bryan Fraley, an affiliate of the Hagyard Equine Medical Center to evaluate him this afternoon and placed casts to support his feet. He was very good for the procedure .
    His appetite has been greatly improved today and the diarrhea is improving. We are hopeful but are taking it day by day and his comfort is our first concern.
    Please pray the hardest you can. We still want to give him the chance to fight it as long as he is telling us he wants to
  • EriNCEriNC Member
    edited September 2012
    There is an update on Paynter on zayats twitter, I can't copy and paste because I am creeping on my sisters and if I accidently hit something I will lose access. Sounds like legs are doing better but colitis is a worse.