ERIC KRONFELD, ZENYATTA'S BREEDER, DIES!

Ann_MareeAnn_Maree Member
edited May 2013 in Thoroughbred Breeding
Such sad news! Really saddened by his passing. Was so looking forward to his being able to watch Ebby train and run in his own backyard. RIP, Eric. Thank you for your many contributions to the world of horse racing and the music business. You will be sorely missed! Heartfelt sympathy to his family.

Comments

• At least he got to see Zenyatta's little ones born into this world.
  • I just heard about this, too...............SO sad. I wish they would find a cure for this damn disease!

He owns Ebby, right?
  • I wonder if the Mosses will name the next foal from her (if its a colt) after him? Or maybe this new Tapit boy? After all Jerry and Eric were good friends.
  • I just heard about this, too...............SO sad. I wish they would find a cure for this damn disease!

He owns Ebby, right?
    Yes he does and a few others I think? I wonder what will happen to her? Maybe John and the Mosses will co- own her? One can dream right?
  • That would be a good way to honor his passing.
  • Yes any idea what will happen to Ebby? I wish the Mosses and John would co-own her?
  • Hmmmmm.........well, I would imagine that (depending on his estate, etc.) his horses might be up for sale. You KNOW Ann would LOVE to have Ebby!
  • Yes and i couldn't imagine a better home for her (well owners but you get the idea.)
  • Well...............will be back later.............they are getting ready to do the Preakness draw.
  • Well...............will be back later.............they are getting ready to do the Preakness draw.
    Please post a link to where i can view it later I'll be out tonight.
    How can you watch it?!
  • It's on HRTV................I imagine the DRF will release it as soon as it done...............
  • I just saw this very, very sad news. What a shame that he didn't live to see his Ebby become the champion I know she will be! And how awful for his family & friends.
  • Maybe all of us could buy Ebby? Would be nice.........
  • Yes any idea what will happen to Ebby? I wish the Mosses and John would co-own her?
    I wish that would happen too!
  • Could John co-own a horse since he is a trainer?
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    Am I the only one who just did not see this coming....I read a lot....and don't remember seeing even a hint that he was ill....
    RIP Mr Kronfeld...you did a superlative job...
  • Am I the only one who just did not see this coming....I read a lot....and don't remember seeing even a hint that he was ill....
    RIP Mr Kronfeld...you did a superlative job...
    I didn't see it coming either but looking back when a next race wasn't decided for Ebby I should've known something was wrong.
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    Ahhh ....that now makes sense
  • Mr. Kronfield must have heirs. It's up to them what becomes of Ebby. Maybe there won't be any changes made at all. Time will tell.

There are two discussions in the Forum on this topic. They ought to be combined.

Please post a link to where i can view it later I'll be out tonight.
    Here you go.............better than a link:

$1,000,000 Preakness Stakes (gr. I), 3YOs, 1 3/16 miles (dirt)
    Post Horse Jockey Trainer Odds
    1 Orb Joel Rosario Shug McGaughey Even
    2 Goldencents Kevin Krigger Doug O'Neill 8-1
    3 Titletown Five Julien Leparoux D. Wayne Lukas 30-1
    4 Departing Brian Hernandez Jr. Al Stall Jr. 6-1
    5 Mylute Rosie Napravnik Tom Amoss 5-1
    6 Oxbow Gary Stevens D. Wayne Lukas 15-1
    7 Will Take Charge Mike Smith D. Wayne Lukas 12-1
    8 Govenor Charlie Martin Garcia Bob Baffert 12-1
    9 Itsmyluckyday John Velazquez Eddie Plesa Jr. 10-1

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/78279/orb-draws-rail-in-preakness-stakes#ixzz2TP7ylg7c

• Could John co-own a horse since he is a trainer?
    I think so..............didn't Baffert own a part of War Emblem? I don't know, maybe I'm mistaken.......

• edited May 2013
    It is common for trainers to own or co-own some of their horses.
  • caseycasey any racetrack with camera in handMember
    I took this photo of Mr Kronfeld in the paddock at Hollywood Park on the day of Ebby's debut. After the race, the Z fans, invited by John & Dottie, converged on the winners circle. I remember seeing him with the most bemused expression on his face as he saw all these women hugging and crying. I walked over to him, stuck out my hand and said, "Congratulations, Mr. Kronfeld. She's a beautiful filly and she reminds me so much of her sister". He thanked me, then looked around at us, and we all went in for the photo. When she raced the second time at Santa Anita, I remember asking Dottie at the saddling barn if Mr. Kronfeld was going to be there, (this was in January) and she said "no, he's a business man and has to take care of his business" I remember thinking "I hear what she's not saying" but didn't know what it was- actually thought, since he was so superstitious with Zenny, maybe he's going to do that with Ebby too... So very sad that he never got to see Ebby running in NY

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10201256664689768&set=o.316587201735729&type=1&theater
  • Casey..................I couldn't view the photo.............could anyone else see it?