Belmont Stakes 2013

Comments

• wow, Cot Campbell has not changed much for his age! Good for you, he had done a lot for the welfare of our retired racers. Wish Shug would have got it though, Todd is a bit..ah..overexposed?? I think the word is! But good for Mike! And yes, Rachel, I can't believe Freedom Child finished up the track after his great previous races.
    Is anyone planning on being at Keeneland for the October meeting? We will have at least 3 fillies going, possibly a colt too, I'd love to meet some of you great folks...:)
  • RachelRachel Member
    i so totally wish i could go to Keeneland but i live in VA and have no money to travel lol
  • RachelRachel Member
    Lane's End now has 7 Belmont winners they have sold. extra treats for Curlin! his stud fee for sure has gone up
  • I have always loved Curlin, just something about him, and am excited about Taco, the colt w/Rachel. That is one fine looking colt there. He really stamps those foals too. Oh, and yes, tell me about the $$$$ I am supposed to be there for the majority of the race meet, so I have to figure in transportation, hotel fees, (we have the farm part of an estate, but not the house, which is old and I'd think I would see ghosts or something, LOL) plus the fee for my KY liscense..it all adds up! I'm saving NOW..;) However if anyone is in the area then, please contact me and it would be my biggest pleasure to meet some of you :)
  • I've been a Curlin fan too and I'm tickled to have Palace Malice win the Belmont. And I chuckle at his name too; makes me wonder if he was a rascal as a youngster (or maybe still is :)))) I didn't hear any TV commentator mention PM's sire Curlin. And the filly didn't do so bad...sixth I think. Good race. Great that the weather turned out so nice.
  • I heard the announcers mentioning Curlin at some point. I don't remember when.
  • So glad Mike and Palace Malice won. However, somebody did the comparison since it is the 40th anniversary of Secretariat's Belmont victory. Palace Malice would have finish some 45 lengths behind Big Red. It's just crazy that he was that good.
  • RachelRachel Member
    how does this shoe fit? " Quick perusal of media guide, the 46.66 is fastest half-mile fraction for Belmont since Secretariat. The 1991 Belmont had a half in 46.79"
  • What an exciting Belmont! I'm so happy for Palace Malice and his connections! And I'm ecstatic for my favorite stallion Curlin too!
  • It was nice to see that there was a big crowd today!
  • RachelRachel Member
    over 47,000 people showed up
  • LyndaKLyndaK Member
    In the Belmont, Secretariat ran faster the further he went. It is doubtful that his performance will ever be duplicated, at least not in our lifetime and maybe ever. These horses today were all worn out by the end of the race. Secretariat was running so fast and so smoothly...in a zone that it has been said he could have run around a second time.
  • Thrilled for Palace Malice & his crew! Been waiting for this. Always a fan of Curlin. Great race.
  • edited June 2013
    In the Belmont, Secretariat ran faster the further he went. It is doubtful that his performance will ever be duplicated, at least not in our lifetime and maybe ever. These horses today were all worn out by the end of the race. Secretariat was running so fast and so smoothly...in a zone that it has been said he could have run around a second time.
    I remember reading where Penny Chenery said that on Secretariat's Belmont day, she thought he could have run around the track again easily! I think you are right, I don't know that it can ever be duplicated!
  • If you caught the interview of Palace Malice's owner, Cot Campbell of Dogwood Stable, after the Belmont Stakes, I hope it brought as big a smile to your face as it did mine! The story of the colt himself is quite remarkable as well. What a way to end the 2013 Triple Crown!

Please check out my newest article, "Palace Malice: A Heartwarming Belmont Victory": http://pastthegrandstand.blogspot.com/2013/06/palace-malice-heartwarming-belmont.html
  • KetaKeta Member
    Ray Paulick ‏tweet
    Satisfying Triple Crown.
    Old-schoolers Phipps/Janney win KyDerby.
    Calumet revivalist Brad Kelley the Preakness,
    pioneer Campbell the Belmont
  • KetaKeta Member
    horseracinghl ‏tweet Mike Smith on Palace Malice
    "Today it seemed like every 10 strides he would just fill up with air again,
    got into that beautiful rhythm."
    Keta Note: What a great description of the perfect ride!
  • I was so excited for Curlin (and of course Palace Malice). And couldn't help but feel compelled to explain to the not so horsey people around me the significance of a stallion siring a Classic winner from his first crop! Just too exciting.
  • KetaKeta Member
    Belmont Stakes News
    RACE REPLAY VIDEO AT END OF ARTICLE
    Palace Malice Upsets Belmont; Oxbow Second, Orb Third
    Story by: Jenny Kellner
    Long shot Palace Malice emerged as the hero of Todd Pletcher’s record five starters in the 145th running of the Grade 1, $1 million Belmont Stakes, charging through the stretch to a 3 ¼-length victory over Preakness winner Oxbow, with Kentucky Derby winner and 2-1 favorite Orb finishing third in the 1 ½-mile “Test of the Champion” at Belmont Park.
    Ridden by Hall of Fame jockey Mike Smith, Palace Malice ran in fourth, just off Freedom Child and Oxbow as Frac Daddy was gunned through a quarter-mile in 23.11 seconds and a half in a 46.66. Turning into the backstretch, Palace Malice continued to run easily as Oxbow took command and led the field of 14 3-year-olds through three quarters in 1:10.95. With Frac Daddy having already folded, the swift pace began to take its toll on Freedom Child. As they headed into the far turn Palace Malice drew alongside Oxbow and stuck a nose in front approaching the quarter pole.
    Ahead by two lengths turning for home, Palace Malice was never threatened even as Oxbow stubbornly refused to give up. Orb, who had one horse beaten in the early going, worked his way up to finish third, another 1 ¾ lengths back, with Incognito making a run to gain fourth.
    Palace Malice, owned by Cot Campbell’s Dogwood Stable, ran with blinkers off and completed the 1 ½ miles in 2:30.70 for his second victory in eight career starts. In his previous start, the son of 2007 Belmont Stakes runner-up Curlin finished 12th when running with blinkers in the Kentucky Derby, and he also owns a second-place finish in the Grade 1 Blue Grass and a third in the Grade 2 Risen Star in 2013.
    http://www.belmontstakes.com/story/2013/6/8/palace-malice-upsets-belmont-oxbow-second-orb-third/
  • LyndaKLyndaK Member
    I am so glad Mike Smith and Palace Malice got "redemption" after all the criticisms they both received after the Derby.

Oxbow and Gary Stevens made racing history and Orb has nothing to be ashamed of. Orb ran 8 races, won 6 and placed third and lost one.

And I thought it was great that Incognito came in 4th. I really like this horse. Cannot explain why.

Jess Jackson has got to be smiling down on the success of Curlin as a sire.

Rosie Napravnik is the first female jockey to race in all 3 Triple Crown races.

And, while I would have loved to seen a Secretariat line horse win the Triple Crown, I have been thinking that it just goes to show that he was a once in a lifetime horse
    whose performance 40 years ago will not be easily duplicated.

And finally, that all the horses and jockeys returned to barn safe.

• KetaKeta Member
    Claire Novak ‏ The Blood-Horse with FOAL PHOTO
    Awww! Via @lanesendfarms#Belmont winner Palace Malice as a baby
    http://twitpic.com/cw52of
  • Aww, how cute!
  • Interview of Mike and Todd post-race interview.
    http://www.drf.com/events/belmont-stakes
  • KetaKeta Member
    Jay Privman ‏Daily Racing Form ‏ Sunday June 9
    Unlimited Budget to return to races against fillies, Pletcher said.
    Next start CCA Oaks. #belmont
  • KetaKeta Member
    Jay Privman ‏Daily Racing Form ‏ Sunday June 9
    Pletcher says all 5 Belmont runners in good shape this morning.
    Says best day-after guess is Palace Malice goes Jim Dandy-Travers. #belmont