Gary Stevens

Comments

• CANDY BOY (No. 16) – It was a quiet Sunday morning at Barn 43 for Kentucky Derby starter Candy Boy. After having worked five furlongs in 1:00.80 the day before, the bay colt simply walked the shedrow, then took some pleasure in a soap and water bath.

“He’s doing fine,” said trainer John Sadler, who has handled the C R K Stable homebred since he came to the racetrack last spring and guided him through a solid seven-race campaign that has him ready for a try at the roses next Saturday.

Candy Boy, a son of the Argentinian transplant Candy Ride, will be handled by Hall of Famer Gary Stevens in Kentucky Derby 140. His trainer indicated that he’d return to galloping Monday morning and continue on that path up until the race.
  • KetaKeta Member
    Smith, Stevens Seek More Derby Glory
    HRTV Monday, Apr 28 2014
    Jockeys Mike Smith and Gary Stevens have ridden in a combined 39 Kentucky Derbys with four total victories.
    http://www.hrtv.com/videos/smith-stevens-seek-more-derby-glory/?VideoCategoryId=2
  • Will Take Charge will run in the Alysheba Stakes on the Kentucky Oaks under card. Gary Stevens is his jockey, D. Wayne Lukas is his trainer, and he is owned by Willis D. Horton and Three Chimneys Farm.
  • KetaKeta Member
    California Chrome jogs, ready to do more at Churchill Downs
    Trainer Art Sherman, coming on strong despite running on very little sleep, and California Chrome, coming on strong, too, despite not being allowed to do much running, made the Churchill Downs scene Tuesday morning and proved big hits.
    Both trainer and horse had jetted in from their Southern California headquarters Monday and both were ready to get on about the business of showing what the likely Kentucky Derby favorite does five days in front of America's foremost horse race. Wearing a simple green saddle cloth (his Derby cloth was misspelled and had to be redone) and with regular exercise rider Willy Delgado aboard, the chestnut colt started trackside from Barn 20 at approximately 6:45 a.m. (EDT) with Art's son and assistant -- Alan Sherman -- guiding him on a shank through traffic and the five-furlong gap.
    http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/editorial/article.cgi?id=44146

Later in article

Even the seemingly bad luck turns to good for the "Chrome Boys," as Art Sherman tells the tale.
    "So my wife Faye and I were flying on Southwest out of L.A. yesterday and wouldn't you know we wound up in a delay in Phoenix," he relayed. "They had an issue with a plane and had to go and get us a new crew. But that all turned out great. We meet up with (trainer) Tom Proctor, (jockeys) Mike Smith and Gary Stevens and (former jockey agent) Ronnie Ebanks. They were all headed to Louisville, too.
    "So we get on the plane and we're all sitting together and we're telling stories. And I mean to tell you this crew of guys can spin stories with the best of them. I can't tell you half the tales that were told, but there were some beauties. We are laughing and laughing and laughing. It was a riot. The people on the plane around us couldn't believe how much fun we were having.
    "And then, to cap it all off, as we're starting to come into Louisville, Ronnie jumps up and gives a call of the Kentucky Derby. It was terrific; the man should be a race caller. And he knew his audience. He had the race between California Chrome, Hoppertunity (Smith's mount) and Candy Boy (Stevens' mount). And he takes us right up to the finish as the plane's coming in and he says: ‘And it's too close to call at the wire!' Oh, I'm telling you the whole plane loved it. Everyone was cheering. And it was the best plane ride I'd ever had."

• KetaKeta Member
    Post Position, Horse, Trainer, Jockey
    1-Vicar’s in Trouble, Mike Maker, Rosie Napravnik
    2-Harry’s Holiday, Mike Maker, Corey Lanerie
    3-Uncle Sigh, Gary Contessa, Irad Ortiz Jr.
    4-Danza, Todd Pletcher, Joe Bravo
    5-California Chrome, Art Sherman, Victor Espinoza
    6-Samraat, Richard Violette, Jose Ortiz
    7-We Miss Artie, Todd Pletcher, Javier Castellano
    8-General a Rod, Mike Maker, Joel Rosario
    9-Vinceremos, Todd Pletcher, Joe Rocco Jr.
    10-Wildcat Red, Jose Garoffalo, Luis Saez
    11-Hoppertunity, Bob Baffert, Mike Smith
    12-Dance With Fate, Peter Eurton, Corey Nakatani
    13-Chitu, Bob Baffert, Martin Garcia
    14-Medal Count, Dale Romans, Robby Albarado
    15-Tapiture, Steven Asmussen, Ricardo Santana Jr.
    16-Intense Holiday, Todd Pletcher, John Velazquez
    17-Commanding Curve, Dallas Stewart, Shaun Bridgmohan
    18-Candy Boy, John Sadler, Gary Stevens
    19-Ride on Curlin, William Gowan, Calvin Borel
    20-Wicked Strong, James Jerkens, Rajiv Maragh
    http://www.paulickreport.com/news/triple-crown/kentucky-derby-draw-begins-at-5-p-m-21-entered-in-field/
  • KetaKeta Member
    J.J. Hysell ‏tweet May 3 2014·
    Gary Stevens, Candy Boy: I had a horrible trip. On the first turn Rajiv Maragh came over on Wicked Strong and shut me off. Then he shut Corey Nakatani off, causing me to steady again.
    We're both lucky we didn't fall. We need to take care of the horse and rider."

More traffic tweets
    Medal Count was gonna be in that super but got shut off.
    You notice that in replay?
    Yes. That's what I was worried about happening.
    With closers in 20 horse field, always danger of traffic issue.

Jay Privman ‏Daily Ricing Form tweet
    Saw Vicar's In Trouble bounce off rail early,
    Medal Count had to check behind Danza in home stretch.
    I'm sure there's more, too. Must see TV
  • KetaKeta Member
    INTERESTING NOTE:
    Mike Smith & Gary Stevens are both riding
    at Santa Anita on Saturday May 17.
    So, neither is riding in the Preakness Stakes.
  • $500,000 Penn Mile Stakes (race 4, approximate post time 7:31 p.m. EDT) 3YO, 1 Mile, Turf
    P.P., Horse, Jockey, Weight, Trainer
    1. Global View (KY), G L Stevens, 122, T F Proctor
    2. Sing the Dream (NY), W P Otero, 116, C Crane
    3. Laddie Boy (KY), C Landeros, 116, C Peery
    4. Bobby's Kitten (KY), J Castellano, 122, C C Brown
    5. Storming Inti (PA), A Garcia, 122, C C Brown
    6. Mr Brioni (PA), K Carmouche, 116, R Allen
    7. Coastline (KY), S Elliott, 116, M E Casse
    8. Divine Oath (KY), C P DeCarlo, 116, T A Pletcher

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/85350/global-view-storming-inti-top-penn-mile#ixzz332yM4pSj
  • Famous Alice is entered in the Penn Oaks on May 31st. She will be ridden by Gary Stevens. She is trained by Thomas Proctor and owned by George Kirikorian.
  • $200,000 Belmont Gold Cup Invitational Stakes (race 10, approximate post time 6:10 p.m. EDT) 4YO&Up, Two Miles, Turf
    PP, Horse, Jockey, Weight, Trainer
    1. Wings of Fortune (KY), J. Vargas, 117, M. Montoya
    2. Sky Blazer (KY), R. Maragh, 117, B. Tagg
    3. Charming Kitten (KY), J. Velazquez, 119, T. Pletcher
    4. Reflecting (KY), J. Rosario, 115, C. McGaughey III
    5. Spy in the Sky (KY), J. Bravo, 115, J. Day
    6. Irish Mission (ON), I. Ortiz Jr., 110, C. Clement
    7. Auld Alliance (IRE), J Castellano, 112, H. Motion
    8. Draw Two (KY), E. Prado, 117, H. Motion
    9. Eagle Poise (KY), A. Solis, 115, H. Motion
    10. Comes the Dream (KY), J. Alvarado, 115, G. Weaver
    11. Twilight Eclipse (KY), J. Lezcano, 121, T. Albertrani
    12. Mambo Man (KY), G. Stevens, 119, R. Diodoro

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/85434/twilight-eclipse-targets-belmont-gold-cup#ixzz33WQ31pAQ
  • Will Take Charge is running June 14th in the Stephen Foster Handicap. He will be ridden by Gary Stevens. He is trained by D. Wayne Lukas and owned by Willis Horton and Three Chimney's.
  • Will Take Charge, a 4-year-old son of Unbridled’s Song owned by Willis D. Horton and Three Chimneys Farm LLC, rallied late in 2013 to earn the Eclipse Award as top 3-year-old with victories in the Travers (GI), Pennsylvania Derby (GII) and Clark, along with an impressive showing in the $5 million Breeders’ Cup Classic (GI), in which he lost by a nose to Mucho Macho Man.

The D. Wayne Lukas trainee, who will carry high weight of 123 pounds in the Stephen Foster, has a record of 1-2-0 in four races in 2014 that include a win over Stephen Foster rival Revolutionary in the Oaklawn Handicap (GII) and runner-up finishes to Game On Dude, whom he defeated in last fall’s Clark Handicap at Churchill Downs, in the Santa Anita Handicap (GI) and Lea in the Donn Handicap (GI) at Gulfstream Park. He enters the Foster off an uncharacteristically poor sixth-place finish in the $300,000-added Alysheba (GII) at Churchill Downs on Kentucky Oaks Day.

The poor run by Will Take Charge in the Alysheba mystified Lukas, who seeks his second Foster victory. But he has been pleased with the colt’s training in recent days and the Hall of Fame trainer believes Will Take Charge is ready to make amends.

“I think we’ll just forget it happened and go on to the next one,” Lukas said. “I think we’re sitting right on a big one, hopefully. He’s had a really good month.”

Will Take Charge is the top money-earner in the Stephen Foster field that includes five millionaires. He brings a career bankroll $3,668,568 into the race with a lifetime record of 7-5-0 in 19 races. Hall of Fame jockey Gary Stevens will ride from post four.

Will Take Charge and Revolutionary are two of three Stephen Foster entrants that ran in the 2013 Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (GI) won by Stuart Janney III and Phipps’ Stable’s Orb. Revolutionary, owned by WinStar Farm, closed for third, while Will Take Charge ran eighth. GoldMark Farm LLC and Whisper Hill Farm LLC’s Mylute, the other Derby veteran, ran fifth.

• The field for the Stephen Foster Handicap (with jockey, weight, morning line odds) from the rail out includes: Revolutionary (Smith, 118, 2-1), Jaguar Paw (Bridgmohan, 114, 30-1), Moonshine Mullin (Borel, 118. 10-1), Will Take Charge (Stevens, 123. 5-2), Mylute (Graham, 115, 12-1), Departing (Albarado, 118, 9-2), Golden Ticket (Leparoux, 117, 8-1), Long River (Ortiz Jr., 115. 15-1) and Prayer for Relief (Velazquez, 117, 8-1).
  • Stop Smiling is running June 21st in the Summertime Oaks at Santa Anita. She will be ridden by Gary Stevens. She is trained by Jerry Hollendorfer. She is owned by Mark DeDomenico LLC and Jerry Hollendorfer.
  • Wishing gate is running June 28th in the Royal Heroine Stakes at Santa Anita. She will be ridden by Gary Stevens. She is trained by Tom Proctor and owned by Glen Hill Farm.
  • Famous Alice is running June 28th in the Senorita Stakes at Santa Anita. She will be ridden by Gary Stevens. She is trained by Tom Proctor and owne by George Krikorian.