SUNDAY SILENCE vs EASY GOER

markinsacmarkinsac Member
edited May 2013 in General Interest
In what was racing's second-best rivalry after Affirmed and Alydar, Sunday Silence battled with heated rival Easy Goer. Easy was a great looking blue blood from the East coast. He had the breeding and the ownership. Physically, he was a monster, much like Secretariat or Zenyatta. He was a very good horse, but the word 'great' can be debated. On the other hand, Sunday Silence wasn't so pretty. Of course he was handsome, but he didn't have the breeding his competitor had. But what does that matter when the horses walk onto the track. That's why we have betting.

In this video is the full ABC video of the 1989 Belmont Stakes. It will show you the anticipation leading up to the contest. Keep in mind, Sunday Silence won the Kentucky Derby and the Preakness by narrow margins, but on his home track, Easy Goer easily won the Belmont.

The stage was set for Breeders' Cup at Gulfstream, a track which Easy Goer had already won on. After watching the video from youtube, look at the comments below. It's practically unanimous, despite the fact SS beats EG three out of four and was crowned Horse of the Year, EASY GOER WAS THE BEST HORSE:

To Easy Goer fans, there was no backing down that EG was one of the all-time greatest thoroughbred horses to ever live. It was jockey error who costed EG the BC Classic.

BUT HERE IS EASY GOER'S ENIGMA: THE PREAKNESS.

Being a good well-bred horse doesn't guarantee greatness. In the Preakness at the top of the stretch, Easy Goer and Sunday Silence are nose and nose. And they would remain that way the length of the stretch. Like a heavyweight boxing match, they would slug it out. But in the end, Sunday Silence WOULD PREVAIL.

NO EXCUSES.

Easy Goer had a LOT going for him. But he didn't have Sunday Silence's heart. And when elevating a good horse to greatness, HEART MATTERS. EG was 0 for 2 in the Breeders' Cup.

Comments

• carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    in the end...the "breeders" preferred EG....basically ignored SS....he went off the Japan and changed the history of TB racing...one of the most influential sires in history....his kids...the last of which retired last year...have earned more than 800mil on the track and his grandkids are not slowing down...he gave us the great Deep Impact and so many others...he is the broodmare sire of the gorgeous Dominant White tb's..one of which is Yukichan...never got the respect he deserved in this country...can you tell he is one of my most favorite boys of all time.....I just love the looks of his boy Hat Trick...he stands in Ky
    I liked EG...his daddy was also one my favorites list...but just could not help loving SS...wish the jockey club would finally change his official color....black is black
  • markinsacmarkinsac Member
    edited May 2013
    Carolina, thank you for that breeding update. My point of this discussion is the fact that almost everybody kept saying that despite SS getting "lucky" three out four, EG was still better on the track. That reasoning is lacking if you watch the Preakness stretch drive over and over. I can't come up with that conclusion.
  • Here's the full video of NBC's broadcast 1989 Breeders' Cup. Great to watch:

• ZenyenZenyen Member
    I have never understood the vehemence with which Easy Goer's fans insist that he was so much the better horse, when on the track, as you say Mark, Sunday Silence showed his heart again and again.

Sunday Silence was the first horse I can truly call myself a 'fan' of, I was too young to really know Ruffian or Secretariat. I was crushed when Sunday Silence went to Japan but what a mark he left in the breeding shed.

• kurtkurt Member
    love em both. EG was a gorgeous horse that i got to see at claiborne prior to his death. never saw SS since he wasnt here very long but ive always loved the HALO line. love the fact alot of them are or are close to being black. love the fiery spirit of Halo..the only stallion i saw in person that scared the hell out of me even having been forewarned before meeting him that he would scare me. saw hat trick in january, typical Halo line stallion..gorgeous
  • msnap12msnap12 Member
    You can get lucky once, even twice, but not three times out of four! There comes a time when (no matter how much you love EG) you have to accept it was the year of Sunday Silence ;) you can't always make excuses... love both boys by the way!
  • ZeebestZeebest Member
    You guys may already know this, but Sunday Silence almost died in a horse van accident when he was a two-year-old. After healing from some serious injuries, he arrived at Charlie Whittingham's Santa Anita barn with a "bad actor" reputation. According to the stable workers, SS hated being handled or even touched by humans. If anybody approached his stall door, he showed them his rump, swished his tail like a propeller and lunged into a corner, refusing to acknowledge their presence. But wise old Charlie recognized in this truculent, ill-tempered thoroughbred, the mythical "look of eagles". Instead of trying to adapt Sunday Sunday to daily stable routines, Charlie fed him on demand and allowed his young horse the privacy and solitude he seemed to crave.
    A few days before SS decisively won his "Maiden Special Weight" race, Whittingham proudly told a friend that the Halo colt he bought for $17,000 was going to be wearing a garland of roses on the first Saturday in May. "Bull&#*!" the man snorted, "I know the people who saddle broke that mean SOB, and the only roses he'll ever get will be in a wreath on his grave."

• RachelRachel Member
    oh how wrong we were about Sunday Silence, both in the breeding shed and the derby. its a shame we didnt like him enough as a stallion.
  • in the end...the "breeders" preferred EG....basically ignored SS....he went off the Japan and changed the history of TB racing...one of the most influential sires in history....his kids...the last of which retired last year...have earned more than 800mil on the track and his grandkids are not slowing down...he gave us the great Deep Impact and so many others...he is the broodmare sire of the gorgeous Dominant White tb's..one of which is Yukichan...never got the respect he deserved in this country...can you tell he is one of my most favorite boys of all time.....I just love the looks of his boy Hat Trick...he stands in Ky
    Thank you Carol, What a guy Sunday Silence was and I never get tired of hearing how well he has done in Japan. Hats off to them for appreciating him and thank you Mark for reminding us of his heart and how good he was!
  • Maybe Whittingham let Pat Valenzuela ride SS because the two of them were so much alike.
  • THE BETTORS' HAD IT WRONG:

In the four match-ups between SS and EG, the favorite lost them all.
  • ZeebestZeebest Member
    I forgot to mention an incredible coincidence involving Sunday Silence. In 1986, the CBS "Sunday Morning" show announced that one of thoroughbred horses born that year would be chosen as the program's "official" favorite for the 1989 Kentucky Derby. Even though the name "Sunday Silence" probably influenced the network's decision, what were chances a group of television producers could accurately identify the single newborn foal of out 39,399 others that would, three years later, win the most famous horse race in America?
  • I forgot to mention an incredible coincidence involving Sunday Silence. In 1986, the CBS "Sunday Morning" show announced that one of thoroughbred horses born that year would be chosen as the program's "official" favorite for the 1989 Kentucky Derby. Even though the name "Sunday Silence" probably influenced the network's decision, what were chances a group of television producers could accurately identify the single newborn foal of out 39,399 others that would, three years later, win the most famous horse race in America?
    That was just plan luck but it is real cool. I wasn't born whe Easy Goer and Sunday Silence duked it out. I just wish we could develop and epic duel between two horses. If I had to say which one is better I would pick Sunday Silence because he won three of the Four and had a better stud career.
    the eastern breeders liked EG's conformation better...after all he was Alydar's boy...I always heard that they did not like SS's rear end....if that's the motor...it sure worked for him and all his kids...
  • No doubt Easy Goer was "Alydar's Boy" with all those second-place finishes.
    But I find Alydar in pedigrees about five times more often than Affirmed ...guess he lost the battles but won the war....until he was murdered
  • Physically, Alydar was tremendous.

PS, where was Affirmed the night Alydar was murdered?
  • Wasn't he also at the same stables Calumet? I believe he was being leased as a stud there. Affirmed and Alydar (who had nearby paddocks) could be observed challenging and racing each other several years after retiring from racing.
  • They say that Alydar was the most perfectly conformed horse ever. He certainly was beautiful to look at , in every way. I can never think about him without sadness knowing how he died. But boy, how he lived! A great horse, and personally, my favorite of them all. So for all of them, that thrilled us on the track and everywhere, I'd like to recite this poem:

SOMEWHERE IN TIME'S IMMORTAL SPACE,
    THERE MUST BE SOME SWEET-PASTURED PLACE
    WHERE CREEKS RUSH ON AND TREES GROW TALL,
    A PEACEFUL PLACE WHERE HORSES GO.
    FOR SURE AS THE LOVE THAT GUIDES MY PEN,
    I KNOW GREAT HORSES LIVE AGAIN.

RIP Alydar, beautiful, brave boy. And all the others we remember so fondly, and with such thrilling memories!
  • Thank you lovehorses, you gave me chills.
  • You're welcome. I love that poem. Says everything I feel about horses that have passed on.
  • KetaKeta Member
    Derby Winner, Top Japanese Sire Sunday Silence Dies
    By Barbara J. Bayer The Blood-Horse Thursday, August 22, 2002
    The long vigil is over. After 14 weeks of battle, Sunday Silence died of heart failure Sunday, Aug. 19, brought on by infection in his leg and the debilitating effects of laminitis.
    At Shadai Stallion Station in Japan's Hokkaido, where staff and veterinarians have watched over the stallion since early May, there was great sadness, but it was mixed with the somewhat comforting belief that the great stallion in his last hours found some freedom from the pain. There is some comfort also in the fact that he left this world on his own, at his own pace.
    Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/11007/derby-winner-top-japanese-sire-sunday-silence-dies#ixzz2XRPOng4G
    Keta Note: Sunday Silence was buried at Shadai Stallion Station

This link takes you to an article which describes his battle with laminitis
    Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/10921/report-from-japan-on-the-scene-account-of-sunday-silences-battle#ixzz2XROdWseZ
  • RachelRachel Member
    edited June 2013
    i love this line of Sunday Silence ''For us, sure, it is a business, but, it's so much more, with Sunday. He's not a friendly horse. His attitude has always been of someone above you, like a boss. We've all come to rely on him so much, too much. We earn our keep because of him. Because of him people came to the farm. He brought in the money, the people, the talk. He's taken care of us. He is the boss. He's the proprieter.''
  • Oh my gosh Rachel, me too! It gives me chills.