Amazombie

AmandaFAmandaF Member
Hollywood Park: Amazombie sidelined with a wrenched ankle

By Brad Free
INGLEWOOD, Calif. – A training-track accident at Betfair Hollywood Park has delayed the comeback of 2011 champion sprinter Amazombie, who will miss the summer season and possibly his entire 7-year-old campaign.
http://www.drf.com/news/hollywood-park-amazombie-sidelined-wrenched-ankle

Comments

• Oh no i really like him.
  • KetaKeta Member
    A big thanks to Rachel for this post in Breaking News
    Amazombie Retired

Champion sprinter Amazombie retired
    By Steve Andersen

ARCADIA, Calif. - Amazombie, the champion sprinter of 2011, has been retired.

Trainer Bill Spawr said on Thursday that the 8-year-old Amazombie was scheduled to leave his stable at Santa Anita on Friday for a local farm, and that a year-long attempt at a comeback has been abandoned.

Amazombie won 12 of 29 starts and earned $1,920,378. He is best known for winning the 2011 Breeders’ Cup Sprint at Churchill Downs. Amazombie finished eighth in his final start, the 2012 BC Sprint at Santa Anita. The final win of his career was the Bing Crosby Stakes at Del Mar in 2012, his seventh stakes win.

Owned by Spawr and Tom Sanford, Amazombie did not start in 2013 after he was involved in a training mishap at Hollywood Park last May when he nearly collided with a pony. Amazombie returned to training last summer, but the preparation was interrupted by minor setbacks.

“We gave him a chance a couple of times,” Spawr said. “He’d get a little sore, but he was never lame. We X-rayed him and there were no fractures, but the cartilage showed a little wear.

“He’s been so good to us. I didn’t want to go any farther with him. He had quite a following. People still ask me about Amazombie.”

Spawr said that Amazombie will be sent to Judd Morse’s farm in Southern California to begin his retirement.
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    he is said to be happy in retirement ...so far....but if he gets bored....he would make an excellent "pony" mentor ....for Coz....or Zi
  • Zoe Cadman ‏ on Friday Oct. 3, 2013
    Great news for @Oldfriendsfarm with Game on Dude headed that way a long with Amazombie
    according to Bill Spaw! #theycanshareBCstories :)
  • Happy birthday Amazombie! I share my birthday with you