Shanghai Bobby

Comments

• Shanghai Bobby Victorious in Belmont Return (Article with Race Replay Video)
    By Claire Novak, The Blood-Horse Updated: Friday, September 20, 2013 7:38 PM
    Shanghai Bobby, the champion 2-year-old male of 2012, made his first start off nearly a six-month layoff a winning one Sept. 20 at Belmont Park (VIDEO).
    The 3-year-old son of Harlan's Holiday took the $100,000 Aljamin overnight stakes by a neck at the New York oval when making his first start for trainer Todd Pletcher since a fifth in the March 30 Besilu Stables Florida Derby (gr. I). Owned by Starlight Racing, Susan Magnier, Michael Tabor, and Derrick Smith, he was sidelined for half of the season with a pelvic fracture.
    http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/80793/shanghai-bobby-victorious-in-belmont-return
  • lesliec, if you read Johnny V's comments on the race on Blood Horse, I think you will find the answer to your question.
  • nice... but in the slow mo in the re-run it's just so clear how they hit them with the crop... made me sad... do they really run faster when hit? Are they trained to know what hitting them means? Watch the slow mo re-run...
    The use of the whip is not punishment or cruelty. It's a necessary tool both for letting the mount know it's time to kick in the 'afterburners,' AND to steer away from potential danger.
  • I watched the video very closely and it does not appear that Johnny V actually struck him every time he raised the whip.
  • I watched the video very closely and it does not appear that Johnny V actually struck him every time he raised the whip.
    Nearing the finish line, the jockey is showing Bobby the whip, its to keep his focus on the race and to not slow down. Many things here that we do not know about the horse that the jockey and trainer do. The whip is used not to hurt the horse but an extension of comunication between hkrse and rider. However there are some jockeys that abuse the whip but that is what jockey rules are for.
  • Around the turn for home, the jockey taps Bobby on the shoulder, this is to let Bobby know "ok its game time, make your move" Bobby responds immediately. More whipping to urge him on as well as urging from the jockeys hands on the horses neck. Perhaps Bobby has a bad habit of slowing down once he is infront of another horse, thinking that his job is done, that is why the Jockey will wave the whip beside the horses head, "showing the whip", its to remind the horse to stay focused on the task at hand.
  • Around the turn for home, the jockey taps Bobby on the shoulder, this is to let Bobby know "ok its game time, make your move" Bobby responds immediately. More whipping to urge him on as well as urging from the jockeys hands on the horses neck. Perhaps Bobby has a bad habit of slowing down once he is infront of another horse, thinking that his job is done, that is why the Jockey will wave the whip beside the horses head, "showing the whip", its to remind the horse to stay focused on the task at hand.
    @rachel i think you are right about Bobby slowing down when in front of other horses? i believe i watched/read an interview with either Todd or Rosie where they said he gets "lazy" when he is off on the lead by himself.
  • Yaay, Shanghai Bobby. Hope he does well in future
  • Good Luck in your new career Bobby!! May you have a long, happy, healthy life and pass on your talent, beauty, and precociousness to your offspring. I'll miss you on the track:(
  • According to Horse Racing nation Shanghai Bobby has been retired due to injury: http://www.horseracingnation.com/news/Champion_Shanghai_Bobby_Retires_123
  • It's so sad that Bobby was injured and is being retired. Such a handsome and talented boy. Coolmore/Ashford is a fine farm, but I wish he was retiring to WinStar or Lane's End -- they're more fan friendly in my opinion.
  • @RoxanneLynn I believe he is retiring there because they bought an interest in him after his BC Juvenile win or shortly before?
  • Shanghai Bobby retired because of injury
    Published: September 29, 2013 The Associated Press
    NEW YORK — Shanghai Bobby, last year's undefeated 2-year-old champion, has been retired from racing after getting injured in his comeback race.
    He won the $98,000 Aljamin Stakes by a neck at Belmont Park last Friday but hurt his suspensory ligament, a common lower leg injury in the sport. The race marked Shanghai Bobby's successful comeback from a pelvic fracture that caused him to miss the Triple Crown after he got hurt in the Florida Derby in late March. He won the Breeders' Cup Juvenile last year.
    The colt will stand at Coolmore America's Ashford Stud in Kentucky, where he will join fellow Eclipse Award-winning juveniles Lookin At Lucky, Uncle Mo and Hansen. Shanghai Bobby had six wins — including all five of his races last year — in eight career starts and earnings of $1,857,000.
    Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2013/09/29/2850582/shanghai-bobby-retired-because.html#storylink=cpy
  • Shanghai Bobby retired because of injury
    Published: September 29, 2013 The Associated Press
    NEW YORK — Shanghai Bobby, last year's undefeated 2-year-old champion, has been retired from racing after getting injured in his comeback race.
    He won the $98,000 Aljamin Stakes by a neck at Belmont Park last Friday but hurt his suspensory ligament, a common lower leg injury in the sport. The race marked Shanghai Bobby's successful comeback from a pelvic fracture that caused him to miss the Triple Crown after he got hurt in the Florida Derby in late March. He won the Breeders' Cup Juvenile last year.
    The colt will stand at Coolmore America's Ashford Stud in Kentucky, where he will join fellow Eclipse Award-winning juveniles Lookin At Lucky, Uncle Mo and Hansen. Shanghai Bobby had six wins — including all five of his races last year — in eight career starts and earnings of $1,857,000.
    Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2013/09/29/2850582/shanghai-bobby-retired-because.html#storylink=cpy
  • its quite sad really :(

@rachel i think you are right about Bobby slowing down when in front of other horses? i believe i watched/read an interview with either Todd or Rosie where they said he gets "lazy" when he is off on the lead by himself.

im now thinking that he slowed down due to injuring himself :((

but yes i have heard that he does have that habit.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Leslie, I have seen comments elsewhere that he is another fragile horse going into the breeding shed. It does make you wonder if it isn't all about the money and not about the horse. Sigh!
  • I've been following Shanghai Bobby from the first time I saw him run in the Hopeful Stakes at Saratoga and I would not call him a "fragile horse." He is what I would call an unlucky horse, comparable to our Ebby or Paynter. His original owners who still own a part of him simply adore him and want to do what is right by the horse. They were disappointed as well as Pletcher because Shanghai was doing so well coming back from his original injury that it was a shame that they weren't able to see him race again 100% healthy. I have my issues with Pletcher, he can be arrogant at times, but, the avatar I use contains a picture of Go Go Shoot, I followed him from his first race to his last race. He ended his career with Pletcher as his trainer. In his last race, he fell, he had taken a misstep. He got up and ran off, but I did not hear anything further than that. I sent an email to Pletcher's Stable asking if he was okay and I let them know had been a fan of the horse from day one. I was told that he was sore but otherwise he was doing okay and that he was going to go down to Florida for the winter for some rest. I was also told that he would be at such and such farm and if I wanted to visit him to give them a call. I just wanted to let people know that there are two sides to every story. Pletcher in the last couple of years has learned that he doesn't have to race every two year old on the face of the earth for it to run in the Derby, at least I give him credit for backing off of racing them as often as he once did. He also was a student of D. Wayne Lukas who never met a horse that he ended up breaking down. Yes, Pletcher is more of your corporate type of trainer, but he does have a very knowledgeable staff that works behind the scenes, and if he's going to send a horse any great distance to compete in a race (i.e, from New York or Florida to California) you know that the horse is going to be competitive, not because he wants a horse to represent him (i.e. Baffert). JMHO.
  • I'm so sad to hear the news about Bobby's retirement; he is such a lovely colt and has some racing talent. Considering what he's up against, the retirement is probably the best thing for him.
    And to go with what Doreen has said about the 'better' side of Todd, I heard comments over the weekend about Todd's more patient approach with Palace Malice training and schedule. Good to hear stuff like that.
  • I always question a stallion prospect, especially when they can't finish their 3 year old career. Longevity is something I don't think this horse has. Not every horse should be breeding. We are aware of the issue with this breed and a lot of it is poor breeding stock. This is a nice horse but do we really want this influence in the breeding shed. We do have The Green Monkey breeding, need I say more.
  • If that's the case of having to make it through their three year old year without an injury I guess you might as well not have bred to Pulpit or Tapit. I watched The Green Monkey's first race in person, he may have been a nicely put together horse, but he had absolutely no talent, Pulpit, Tapit, and Bobby had talent as 3-year olds, and so far, two of them have been lauded for passing that talent on to their offspring. Nayrod, do you have something against the majority owners of Bobby and The Green Monkey since they're one and the same? As far as Bobby's pedigree, I think that he will attract a lot of mares from overseas. I'm sure that is why his majority owners are Coolmore and they have the ability to ship him between their farms in Ireland and Australia too.