Shanghai Bobby

Comments

• Here is Shanghai Bobby's Stallion page from Ashford: http://www.coolmore.com/stallions/shanghai-bobby/?farm_id=66
  • That was quick!
  • That was quick!

I know I wonder what his stud fee will be?
  • That was quick!

Lets guess! I say 25k

• That was quick!

Lets guess! I say 25k

With his undefeated 2 year old season i say 30k.
  • 30K for a freshman stallion right off the bat? Whose had injuries that has kept him out of the derby and now ended his career
  • Uncle Mo didn't make it to the Derby either, and had an undefeated 2-year old season with 2 less wins, one of those being a graded stakes. He ran twice as many races as a 3 year old, however, Bobby also broke a track record as a 3-year old off a long layoff, even though he finished 2nd in the Holy Bull. Uncle Mo started off with a fee of 35K so a fee of 25k - 30k is certainly in the ballpark. Suspensory injuries are quite common, and Bobby was doing well until he sustained his career ending injury in his comeback race. Time will tell whether the price they settle on is right whatever it may be depending on how many mares he gets and what his foals do once they hit the tracks. I'm far from being an expert when it comes to breeding, but I would think that the person who is having the mare bred to the stallion would have some knowledge if the stallion has any possible genetic problems that he may pass on - at least if I'm going to pay that amount to have my mare bred, I would like to know.
  • I'm sure he will be "supported" by Coolmore/Ashford. His book will have mares in it that are proven producers. He's a darling! His first yearlings will premier at Keeneland to fanfare. The future will tell. Loved his BCJ; gave Rosie a scare, looked like he got distracted like a very young boy in class!
  • I'm sure he will be "supported" by Coolmore/Ashford. His book will have mares in it that are proven producers. He's a darling! His first yearlings will premier at Keeneland to fanfare. The future will tell. Loved his BCJ; gave Rosie a scare, looked like he got distracted like a very young boy in class!
    Funny you should say that i saw/read an interview with Rosie where she said he was like the "cool kid" in school but didn't know the effect it had on people (or other horses) yet.
  • I would guess that they all have personalities; Rosie talked about him so affectionately. Like he was her baby. Called him "Bobby", I just love that. Good luck to him...All the Love!
  • Wow Coolmore is really wasting no time promoting him. He is already listed as a choice for true nicks.
  • RachelRachel Member
    edited October 2013
    It seems strange that they are moving so quickly with Shanghai Bobby in getting his stud status out there. Hes currently healing up and everything, he wont be breeding anytime soon, there is still the testing to see if he is fertile and to make sure he knows what he is doing not to mention if he even will like it. He will need time to adjust, this is a horse that has had a long layoff due to injury, has worked hard to recover and get back into trainng. Hes had his first race debut (since the hip injury that made him miss the derby) and won, now he has to readjust to being off the track, heal again and take on a new career all the while only being 3 yrs old almost 4. Poor Bobby, i feel like they might have some uncertainty there what with his injuries in a years worth of time.
  • Rachel - I agree that Bobby needs time to adjust, its all about the horse. I'm hoping they give him the time he needs and just let him start his career in the southern hemisphere. I think he will do well with mares from Australia and New Zealand - I'm hoping all this promoting is directed towards them. He has a lot of hidden turf in his pedigree and the distances of the races in both countries seem to be perfect for what he would most likely throw. I'm sure that's one of the reason's Coolmore bought a majority of him after his successful 2-year old career. They take good care of their horses - St. Nicholas Abbey is a testament to the extent of their care. If they don't with Bobby, I'll be truly upset, he's my "baby" and they'll just be another breeding factory in my opinion.
  • Speakihng of Shanghai Bobby ins Australia I just nicked him with Black caviar and they got an A. i also nicked him with Zenyatta and got an A also.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • its really sad his career could of ended so much better but i have heard that they were going to retire him after is 3 year old campaign
  • its nothing new in Pletchers barn. really
  • its nothing new in Pletchers barn. really
    I agree Pletcher always has top horses so when one leaves his barn it's not a huge loss to him because he has others.
  • i read somewhere that he had over 4,000 horses as probable for the derby, and he only had 5 horses even make it into the derby, none won it. he used to rule the breeders cup races along with bob baffert. it was nice to see him win only one race last year in it with Shanghai Bobby lol
  • Shanghai Bobby just got his first winner (June 18, 2017)

Spirit of Shanghai 2 yr old filly out of Yamato Damashii (Tiznow)
    Santa Anita Maiden Claiming $50,000 - $40,000
    Purse $29,000 for Maidens, Fillies Two Years Olds

I forgot he had his own discussion here. Thanks @Especially_Horses

Spirit of Shanghai First Winner for Shanghai Bobby: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/222177/spirit-of-shanghai-first-winner-for-shanghai-bobby
  • Can't exactly say I'm impressed by that Shanghai Bobby filly. Her balance is all wrong and she's got that really unappealing stick neck. At least her legs aren't horrible.
  • Stick neck, aha, now I know what to call that look. I also find that type of neck unappealing.

Can't exactly say I'm impressed by that Shanghai Bobby filly. Her balance is all wrong and she's got that really unappealing stick neck. At least her legs aren't horrible.