Training Cozmic One to be a Racehorse

edited July 2013 in Cozmic One
Although Coz hasn’t officially gone off to school we all know his training started the day he was born, but today’s video of him with a bit in his mouth highlighted that he’s on his way to becoming a racehorse. I have high hopes that the generosity of the Moss’ will extend to receiving glimpses of Coz at different stages in his training.

So with that said, can someone give some insight into the bit he is wearing? Someone said it looked like a chifney bit. Is this bit strictly for using when leading with a halter and shank?

Comments

• My guess is that he's already started training. For he has slimmed down a great bit..... Going from fat, awkward teen; to lean and handsome college sophomore as it were. Probably only minor training though, like breaking him and changing his diet.... And maybe more exercise.
  • RR12 I don't think he has gone through "breaking" at Lane's Ed atleast not full breaking. I think they are just doig a more advanced type of ground work with him?
  • caseycasey any racetrack with camera in handMember
    I think your question about the bit is a great "Ask the Experts" question. I'm sure we are all interested in what happens next with Cozmic One. I know he will probably go somewhere else to train. I don't know how much training Lands End does other than sales prep work. I think the slimming you see is because he has grown a lot taller. Last time I remember seeing him he was probably a hand or so shorter than he is now.
  • RR12 I don't think he has gone through "breaking" at Lane's Ed atleast not full breaking. I think they are just doig a more advanced type of ground work with him?
    Do you think that they are actually doing ground training with line driving?

Do you think that they are actually doing ground training with line driving?
    They might be or some form of that? i just don't think it's a "full" breaking (not having someone on his back) I know some TB's get used to people on there back around this age, but with Coz I think they will wait until he turns two since he will take longer to develop?
  • RachelRachel Member
    Actually, this whole discussion could be an Ask The Experts question. Id like to know how and when they start training their foals, as in tack training.
  • caseycasey any racetrack with camera in handMember
    yes, Rachel, I agree- I said it earlier today
  • Thanks for bringing this up because I was wondering about the look of a bit or part of the chain in his mouth for that video. I hope it will be posted as a future ask the experts so we can learn just what is going on with him and learn more about early training.
  • I believe Coz will go to the Mayberry's in Ocala for the first round of serious training, including full breaking. He probably will be shipped there in the fall. I really hope the Mayberry's continue with our education of Coz. What a treat it will be to see him with his first rider.
  • We break ours at 18months give them a foundation then turn them back out till they are 2. Nothing intense because we want to protect their joints.
  • Can't we find a better word for training a horse to be ridden than "breaking" It sounds so hostile, even brutal, and I'm sure it's not for thoroughbreds. Maybe "rider-training" or "acclimating-to-rider training." Cbuechler, I think your way sounds about right. I think riding a young horse whose back is still young and flexible is not a good idea. I would guess that you might end up with a sway-backed horse. But I'm just guessing. I've been a city dweller most of my life.
  • A lot of people use the term "backing."
  • Can't we find a better word for training a horse to be ridden than "breaking" It sounds so hostile, even brutal, and I'm sure it's not for thoroughbreds. Maybe "rider-training" or "acclimating-to-rider training." Cbuechler, I think your way sounds about right. I think riding a young horse whose back is still young and flexible is not a good idea. I would guess that you might end up with a sway-backed horse. But I'm just guessing. I've been a city dweller most of my life.
    The term I like the most is "starting".
  • That's a good one, too.
  • RachelRachel Member
    Ima stick with good ol Training lol its pretty much whats happening
  • I like "backing" but "starting" and "training" are also good. Maybe "carrying-a-rider training" would describe it also. When I think of "breaking," I think of breaking bones, or breaking a person's (or animal's) spirit. I guess it just has a negative connotation for me. Of course I'm not going to change it, so stick with the traditional word if you want. I'll try to keep my imagination in check.
  • Trust me. Generally we are the ones who get broke. Lol
  • Cbuechler, I'm glad to see you're still contributing to the Forum. I hope you and your daughter (sorry if I got that wrong) are doing well with your horses. I saw a buyer listed on Stonestreets website 'Cheyenne Stables'...is that yours?
  • No Stonestreet babies. We picked up an Adena Springs and a WinStar though.
  • Any training takes time, and patience, and I believe Va in Ca that it would help you to read Secretariat - The Making of a Champion, to see how Secretariat was trained. It would give you some idea of how its done, and you'll be reassured I know. He has to learn, but he won't be "broken". Cbuechler is right when he said , "trust me", "generally we are the one who get broke". Try to remove the negative connotation from your mind, and think positively about his education.
  • RachelRachel Member
    also Breaking could mean "breaking the fear of a saddle or briddle or a human being on their back in general"
  • Horses are funny creatures. My husband and run the combine right past the pastures or let the air brakes go on the semi and they won't bat an eye or stop grazing. A knat flits by and they freak. My personal favorite is watching them have a coniption fit when they see their first odd colored horse. They don't all do it but some really have issues that first time.
  • Cbuechler, oh that's SO right...horses are funny creatures. So are their owners! LOL! Good thing to have a sense of humor.
    Again, good luck with your critters.
  • Rachel, I think you could be right. That's a good explanation of the term. Speaking of funny creatures, my sister's horse, Comanche, was afraid of a little tiny bush that grew on the path from the barn, and also puddles. Yes, they are funny creatures.
  • Cbuechler, how's that white baby? Have you color tested yet? Can't remember if it was a boy or girl, sorry.