Eblouissante

Comments

• <3

Looking Beautiful!
  • What a beauty! Thanks for sharing!
  • She is in lot 1759. Do we know what day she is going to sell?
  • She sells tomorrow (Tuesday Nov. 29). Her name is listed under the Day 2 tab.
  • Ebby is coming back to Kentucky! Summer Wind Farm bought her for 1.1mm.
  • Eblouissante sold at to Summer Wind Farm for $1.1 million
  • Yay!!!! :grin:
  • I think it is wonderful she sold for such a good amount!
  • Looks like she's staying in Ireland for the near future. Best choice for her at this point in her pregnancy, let her foal in the environment she's accustom too.
  • Zenyen said:

Looks like she's staying in Ireland for the near future. Best choice for her at this point in her pregnancy, let her foal in the environment she's accustom too.

That's a great clarification. I completely forgot that she was in foal.
  • From the Racing Post Blog:

Lot 1759: EBLOUISSANTE

Jane Lyon of Summer Wind Farm of Kentucky makes her first trip to Tattersalls a very worthwhile one, going to 1,100,000gns for Zenyatta's half-sister Eblouissante. The daughter of Bernardini was sold for $2.1 million to St George Farm at Keeneland in 2013 while her own career was also in the ascendancy - she had won her first two starts in California but didn't build on that good start.

The strapping mare was sent over here upon her retirement and has a colt foal by Oasis Dream on the ground. She was sold today in foal to Dansili by The National Stud.

"She's a tremendous mare," said Lyon, flanked by Simon Marsh and Bill Farish. "For her sake, I think she'll probably stay here and foal and then we'll put our heads together and decide whether to send her back to an European stallion.

"Ultimately, she's a mare to take back to America. There's a lot going on in the pedigree. So we're very excited."

Lyon is a regular player at the top end of the market in the US - at the recent Keeneland November Sale, she paid a total of $5,625,000 for four mares. In Europe, Summer Wind are probably best known as the breeder of William Haggas' Classic performer Storm The Stars. But in America, Lyon is in the celebrated position of owning Littleprincessemma, dam of last year's Triple Crown hero American Pharoah. Lyon paid $2.1 million for the mare in 2014, the year before her son's Classic sweep.

"I planned to buy four mares this year to restock," she said. "But now I have six! I've sold a few yearlings here in the past but this is my time buying. This was the mare we targeted and it was very exciting."

Of Littleprincessemma, Lyon added: "I have a Tapit filly out of her and she's carrying a brother to American Pharoah - I can hardly wait to see what he can do. She's the kindest mare to do anything with. I believe American Pharoah has the most wonderful disposition and knowing the mare, I believe it comes from her."

Getting back to Eblouissante, her regal connections don't end with Zenyatta, who won 19 races during her remarkable career. Another half-sister, Balance, was also a Grade 1 winner while her dam Vertigineux even managed to produce a stakes winner by Aljabr. The filly in question, Where's Bailey, is the dam of this year's Grade 2 Yellow Ribbon Handicap winner She's Not Here. 

Vertigineux is also the granddam of the classy Aidan O'Brien-trained Long Island Sound.

by Nancy Sexton 6:26 AM Comment

• St. George farm took a hit on their initial purchase price of Ebby.
  • Glad to learn all of this good news.
  • And there is always de Coronado, full brother to Z. Can't wait to see Oasis Dream foal that is on the ground.
  • Here is a piece from a Blood Horse article that mentions her sale. Also it gives an update on Littleprincessemma: Lyon Lands Zenyatta Half Sister

The presence of a half sister to history-making mare Zenyatta drew a new visitor to Tattersalls in the shape of Jane Lyon, who owns a boutique band of broodmares at her Summer Wind Farm in Kentucky that includes Littleprincessemma, dam of none other than American Pharoah .

Eblouissante, consigned by the National Stud in foal to Dansili, is a 7-year-old by Bernardini and is also a half-sister to three-time grade 1 winner Balance as well as Breeders' Cup Classic (gr. I) heroine Zenyatta.

Lyon managed to secure her, but was forced all the way up to 1,100,000gns ($1,440,000) to do so to make it the second time the mare has fetched a seven-figure price, having been bought by St George Farm at Keeneland for $2.1 million three years ago. She has a colt foal by Oasis Dream on the ground.

"The decision isn't totally final but I think for her sake we will leave her here until after she foals as I don't want to take any chances transporting her," said Lyon, who was sitting with Simon Marsh and Bill Farish.

"We're going to put our heads together and determine if we want to breed her to a European stallion, which is a distinct possibility. She is the kind of mare I can take back to America and breed to anyone I want. Obviously it's one of the stronger families in America and I did not have any of them.

"We're very excited and had a plan to buy at least four mares this year to replace stock that I've either lost or I'm going to retire. Now I have six so I'm very happy.

"I haven't bought at Tattersalls before but I've sold two yearlings quite a few years ago who were bred in America but had pedigrees that were interesting over here. It's been a successful day."

Lyon also provided an update on Littleprincessemma.

"She is the love of my life," she said. "She's carrying a brother to American Pharoah. I'm keeping her foal this year, a Tapit filly, and I can hardly wait to see what she can do. The mare is the kindest and most wonderful mare anyone could ever hope to deal with.

"People have given a lot of credit to Pioneerof The Nile for American Pharoah's disposition, and it's my understanding that he is a superb horse as far is that goes, but I have to say that mare could have done it on her own. She's just the sweetest mare in the world."
  • I love this tidbit of information on LittlePrincessemma. How wonderful she is so loved.
  • According to a user on the "Zenyatta" FB group, Ebby is officially returning to the states next week! Only her, foal is presumably weaned. Summer Wind is apparently going to post pictures as soon as she's here.
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    I wonder if she is "in foal" now
  • I wonder if she is "in foal" now

I wonder the same thing @carolinarkansas and i wonder who if she is!
  • Glad we'll get an update on her, hopefully more to come now that she's back!
  • Now that's exciting news.
  • edited May 2018
    2018: As beautiful as ever.

Photo: Liz Maddux

Ebbya.JPG 63.9K
  • She had a colt, born today in the paddock. Will post pictures next.