G Ten (son of Giacomo) Moss Homebred -- Can we help him??

Please read the following article before reading my post:

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/ray-s-paddock/monzante-former-eddie-read-winner-breaks-down-in-claiming-race/

I hope some of you took time to read the comments below the article as well.

G Ten is a beautiful gray gelding who formerly raced under our beloved Moss silks and under the loving care of John Shirreffs. He is now racing (and finishing last most of the time) at Emerald Downs in $2,500 claiming races and has changed owners more times than Bob Baffert has had Derby starters.

If you will only go to Equibase.com, put his name in their search engine and bring up his page, you can access his entire race record and race charts so that I don't have to go into all the the pertinent details here.

For some reason he captured my heart in the beginning; that is why I have continued to follow him to where he is now. And it is NOT a place a son of a Kentucky Derby winner should be. Gelding or NO gelding. I realize we can't save them all. I realize they all can't be great. Most can't even be good. But reading about Monzante just struck a nerve and now I fear I am going to read about G Ten having the same fate.

I am asking for input from you, my fellow Zenyatta friends, for suggestions, contacts, or even any assistance someone might want to give me in what action could be taken to get this horse OFF the race track and into someone's retirement program. No one obviously wants to claim him -- he will just be thrown into race after race until he ultimately breaks down.

Someone has GOT to step up and start being the voices for these horses. This is a sport that I love but, as one of the posts at the Paulick site said, I am hanging on by a thread..........................

Hope to "hear" from some of you!
Judy

Comments

• Judy is there a way you can make an online petition or get the word out about him on other horse sites or twitter or facebook?
  • RachelRachel Member
    Backside 55 facebook would be a great start to getting the word out, they keep track of the horses racing in John's barns on the east coast and announce if the horse was claimed or not. ill comment to them letting them know of G Ten's whereabouts.
  • Thanks for your comments QueenZFan and Rachel..............I don't have a FB page or a Twitter account. Good idea about the petition though.

Rachel -- I visit Backside 55 also. I know where G Ten is, who is current owner and trainer is as well if you think that would help posting that info there.

I don't know -- maybe I am just wasting energy on something I can do absolutely nothing about. But that article on Monzante (yes I KNOW he was a Grade 1 winner and G Ten is not) just really upset me.

Thanks guys!
  • RachelRachel Member
    edited July 2013
    the mosses are usually really good about keeping up with their horses that they have bred and trained themselves. they retired Ruhlmann to Old Friends, hes now deceased but he was a huge favorite at Old Friends to some of the people that worked there, i didnt know the Mosses owned him until i looked at his grave marker in a fb picture.
  • Yes, Rachel, they absolutely are and that was one reason I put this up here. I thought maybe just MAYBE Dottie or Ann might see it. Jerry is the "business man". I get that. But Ann is more, well, the "emotional" side of the pair and I bet she'd hook a trailer to an SUV or truck and drive up there if she thought one of her homebred "babies" was in jeopardy LOL!
  • RachelRachel Member
    i looked at his equibase information and said that his current trainer is Alan Bozell, thats what it showed on the page.
  • Yep, that's him. And the race before that Bozell was the trainer of him and he was owned by a Mr. and Mrs. Don L. Munger.
  • RachelRachel Member
    thats as low as claiming races go. i dont think he can get any lower than that. if no one claims him, i fear he might be dumped or put into slaughter unknowingly
  • Judy I'm sure the Mosses and Dottie and John have e-mail or other contacts why don't you try them?
  • That is what I am afraid of Rachel (if he doesn't break down first)

I am sure they do, Queen ZFan, I guess I could see if Ann might have a FB page. I am really appreciating the two of you "jumping in here" 'cause my panties have been in a real twist ever since I read that darn article this morning.

If you happen to be chatting over at the other forums, see if anyone has any suggestions, would you? You don't have to get into all of the details or anything. I just know there seem to be a couple of people who frequent some of the Z12 and Z13 pages that seem to maybe even be "in the business" to some degree.
  • RachelRachel Member
    well, Backside 55 posted on their facebook about Mr Commons being entered to run on wednesday (yay) in a turf race at Belmont. But so far no comments on my wall post :/ not even a like.
  • Find someone to claim him and donate him if possible. Take up a collection through fundraisers if need be. Prolly the quickest and easiest way to get him retired.
  • RachelRachel Member
    i posted on Backside 55 facebook cuz ALOT of people like to follow John's horses and Mosses horses in general there. I figured that maybe someone would see it and get the word out.
  • Judy i would also try twitter (if you have an account there) twitter gets things out faster than facebook does.
  • edited July 2013
    In order to keep track of Miss Fifty, a racehorse I followed and pursued until she became mine, I would send letters to her trainers "in care of" the track she was based at. For instance, she was based at Charles Town for a long period of time and so I found that track's address and addressed a letter explaining my connection to her to her trainer c/o Charles Town. I always heard back from her trainer or owner (whichever one I contacted). By doing so, I was always able to keep track of how she was doing and at the end of her career, her owner allowed me to have her. Maybe you (and others on this thread) can do the same for G Ten. His trainer and owner is Alan Bozell. Emerald Downs' mailing address is PO Box 617
    Auburn, WA 98071. I hope this helps.

Here's Miss Fifty's story:

http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/beyond-the-blinkers/archive/2012/12/20/ottb-spotlight-miss-fifty.aspx
  • edited July 2013
    I think everyone should get on twitter. It's easy and social media is putting the pressure on regarding Monzante. They will do the same for this horse if we get it out there. DON'T LET HIM BECOME ANOTHER MONZANTE! We have to keep a close eye on all these horse IF you really care about the horses and not just the "business".
  • Find someone to claim him and donate him if possible. Take up a collection through fundraisers if need be. Prolly the quickest and easiest way to get him retired.
    Find someone to claim him and donate him if possible. Take up a collection through fundraisers if need be. Prolly the quickest and easiest way to get him retired.
    Thanks for that suggestion..........I don't personally know anyone in the racing industry although Dogwood Stables is located here in Aiken. Cot Campbell, however, is a cantankerous (sp?) old coot and probably wouldn't give me the time of day. The fund raiser idea is great. I am just SO mad that I don't have my 2 1/2 acre horse farm anymore. I'd gladly take him in once there was a way to get him retired. In fact I would LOVE more than anything to do just that. Thank you C!

• In order to keep track of Miss Fifty, a racehorse I followed and pursued until she became mine, I would send letters to her trainers "in care of" the track she was based at. For instance, she was based at Charles Town for a long period of time and so I found that track's address and addressed a letter explaining my connection to her to her trainer c/o Charles Town. I always heard back from her trainer or owner (whichever one I contacted). By doing so, I was always able to keep track of how she was doing and at the end of her career, her owner allowed me to have her. Maybe you (and others on this thread) can do the same for G Ten. His trainer and owner is Alan Bozell. Emerald Downs' mailing address is PO Box 617
    Auburn, WA 98071. I hope this helps.

Here's Miss Fifty's story:

http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/beyond-the-blinkers/archive/2012/12/20/ottb-spotlight-miss-fifty.aspx
    WOW is all I can say, Mary, about your UNBELIEVABLE, wonderful story! 'Tis the stuff dreams are truly made of! Thank you so much for sharing it with me/us! And thank you for the Emerald Downs mailing address. As I said in my other post I no longer have facilities for horses (sadly) but that won't preclude me from trying to help G Ten find a forever home far away from $2,500 claiming races and changing owners practically monthly.
  • I will try and find out if anyone from here is racing there. I don't go to Emerald. If he was here local to me or even in WV I could go claim him. Indiana and Louisville would be easy WV would have to be when I was there.
  • Mary just your involvement is so heartwarming! Thank you.
  • JanDJanD Member
    Judy, let me say thank you for bringing this up about G Ten. I also have been following him and have just been heart sick over him. I don't remember who it was but said they had talk to his trainer after his last race and said he was up for sale for $3500. This was on the blog right after his last race. I think they even called Old Friends about him but don't know if they heard back from them. Please let me know if I can help in anyway.
  • Judy I know you don't have a horse property but do you have friends who do or maybe a local stable to help house him?
  • You might also contact Adena Springs, where Giacomo stands. Some of the farms have programs to help out horses with a connection to the farm. It's unlikely that they'll take him in, but they may be able to donate toward his retirement, or at least provide some contacts that could help.
  • Judy, let me say thank you for bringing this up about G Ten. I also have been following him and have just been heart sick over him. I don't remember who it was but said they had talk to his trainer after his last race and said he was up for sale for $3500. This was on the blog right after his last race. I think they even called Old Friends about him but don't know if they heard back from them. Please let me know if I can help in anyway.
    Wow Jan.............someone else who has been keeping track of him?????? Cool! I remember when he first started racing, being a son of the Moss' ONLY Derby winner I just felt sure he'd "always be around" for some reason. I know that is unrealistic but call me Pollyanna! Wonder if his life would have turned out different had he not be gelded?

Funny you should mention Old Friends. I have recently done two different groups of eBay auctions as charity donations and sent them checks from the proceeds and gotten very nice thank you notes back from Michael Blowen. Hmmmmm........

Stay plugged in here on the forum and let's see what we can come up with.