St. Nicholas Abbey

kurtkurt Member
edited July 2013 in General Interest
perhaps with all the other gloomy racing news, this got missed. breeders cup champion st. nicholas abbey was seriously injured this morning. surgery is set for tommorrow to try and save him for stud. best source of info seems to be coolore studs twitter page which said hes going to need some luck to make it tommorrow..lets hope!!

Comments

• I wonder if he makes it if there is a chance of him standing in the US?
  • Yes, I heard about this but didn't want to bring it up with all the other bad news. But yes, he was a good horse.... It is sad he will have to retire this way, I was hoping he'd retire on a high note. How is his condition? Last I heard he was comfortably in his stall and scheduled for surgery tomorrow. I think all will go smoothly, and there is no need to worry.
  • kurtkurt Member
    RR12- the status you have is same as ive got,,resting comfortable. guessing we wont know or hear anything till tommorrow after the surgery
    QUEEN- if he makes it, guessing he'd go to coolmores uk farm..although, he did win the bc here so..maybe..
    i remember seeing him work in the mornings at SA last november..beautifull animal..hope he makes it tommorrow
  • KetaKeta Member
    Superstar St Nicholas Abbey Injured, Retired
    By Ron Mitchell The Blood-Horse Updated: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 2:36 PM
    International superstar St Nicholas Abbey sustained a career-ending injury the morning of July 23 at trainer Aidan O'Brien's Ballydoyle headquarters and efforts were being made by veterinarians to save the 6-year-old horse for stud duty.
    According to a Twitter post from Coolmore Stud, St Nicholas Abbey suffered a fractured pastern during a routine work at Ballydoyle. He is currently in a comfortable condition at Fethard Equine Hospital, where he is scheduled for surgery the morning of July 24.
    Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/79588/superstar-st-nicholas-abbey-injured-retired#ixzz2Zu1nOVLu
  • Right now I'll just go under the philosophy that no news is good news. However, is he in the UK? Because if he is then he would be having surgery right now, possibly.
  • caseycasey any racetrack with camera in handMember
    Yes, I heard about this but didn't want to bring it up with all the other bad news. But yes, he was a good horse.... It is sad he will have to retire this way, I was hoping he'd retire on a high note. How is his condition? Last I heard he was comfortably in his stall and scheduled for surgery tomorrow. I think all will go smoothly, and there is no need to worry.
    As with ANY equine surgery, the recovery is the most dangerous, especially when dealing with a broken limb. Hopefully, there is a recovery pool at Fethard. The next most dangerous part is the stall confinement. A lot of TB's just don't handle the long term confinement well. I hope and pray that St Nicholas will be like Paynter, a good patient.
  • I think all will go smoothly, and there's no need to worry. He will be in good hands.
  • kurtkurt Member
    Coolmore tweeted at 2am california time "St Nicholas Abbey has had a comfortable night at Fethard Equine Hospital. He undergoes surgery this morning & today will be critical for him"..guessing hes in surgery as i post this..good luck !!
  • RachelRachel Member
    Coolmore tweet

" The operation to stabilise and repair will be long and complicated - we will need a bit of luck, so fingers crossed for St Nicholas Abbey"
  • I posted a comment yesterday...Too bad he`s not at UPenn New Bolton...That`s the place! Awesome! prayers, prayers, prayers...ALENE
  • I wish he could be at New Bolton it's a great place . All we can do is light a candle hope the vet's that are doing surgery are great surgeon's and I wish all the luck to his owner and the doctor's that are trying to save him. St Nicholas Abbey Prayers ! Fingers crossed
    that he recovers and can make some really nice foal's
  • RachelRachel Member
    hes in the UK so most likely he will be in a UK horse vet clinic.
    Right now I'll just go under the philosophy that no news is good news. However, is he in the UK? Because if he is then he would be having surgery right now, possibly.
  • It's most likely he has already had his surgery. Since England is set on a different time table than us.
  • BBC Sports, about two hours ago: "St. Nicholas Abbey will remain in intensive care for some time and has many bridges to cross before he is considered out of danger. This morning he is well and comforatble and back enjoying his hay. We are lucky he is so fit and has a marvellous attitude and temperment which will be vital for his long recovery." Come on, Abbey..here, across the pond, we are pulling for you, too!
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    there is an article on bloodhorse about this also....I think this guy is a fighter...and smart...do not think he will do anything to hurt himself....PUSNA
  • I so hope you are right, carolinarkansas; I really love this horse, and over there, he is practically a national trreasure.
  • KetaKeta Member
    St Nicholas Abbey to Remain in Intensive Care
    By Blood-Horse Staff Updated: Thursday, July 25, 2013 8:34 AM
    St Nicholas Abbey, who suffered a fractured pastern during a routine work July 23, underwent surgery the following day and is recuperating in the intensive care unit at Fethard Equine Hospital in England, owner Coolmore said July 25.
    The 6-year-old horse by Montjeu appeared comfortable, Coolmore said via Twitter. Surgery was conducted in consultation with Dr. Dean Richardson, head of surgery at the New Bolton Center in Pennsylvania.
    Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/79632/st-nicholas-abbey-to-remain-in-intensive-care#ixzz2a4YR6oqV
  • KetaKeta Member
    Coolmore Stud tweets Thursday July 25 morning
    After a lengthy surgery to fuse the pastern St Nicholas Abbey is recuperating in intensive care at John Halley’s Fethard Equine Hospital
    Surgery was carried out at Fethard Equine Hospital in consultation with Dr Dean Richardson, Head of Surgery at New Bolton Centre Pennsylvania, along with Ger Kelly and Tom O’Brien
    St Nicholas Abbey will remain in intensive care for some time and has many bridges to cross before he is considered out of danger
    This morning he is well and comfortable and back enjoying his hay!
    We are lucky he is so fit and has a marvellous attitude and temperament which will be vital for his long recovery
    I think Nick is a very smart horse.....he will not "fight" the program....PUNick
  • kurtkurt Member
    Coolmore tweeted 45 minutes ago that SNA had a "major setback" in his recovery, suffering from bad colic..had emergency colic surgery and the prognosis is "very guarded at the moment"
  • Oh no...Not the news I was hoping to hear. Prayers for SNA....
    just heard this....two major surgeries in just as many days....he is a strong horse...but this is just awful.....PUNick
  • Makes me feel as if I have been kicked in the stomach.
  • RachelRachel Member
    St Nicholas Abbey underwent emergency surgery for colic the morning of July 26, and his prognosis is "very guarded," owner Coolmore said.

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/79659/prognosis-for-st-nicholas-abbey-guarded#ixzz2aAJL4Xzi
    Just lit candles for him....his group on gratefullnesscandles is StNic