Kentucky Derby 2014!

Ok so this miht be a bit early to start this discussion but here is an article about the races that will have points: http://www.horseracingnation.com/news/Churchill_Downs_Releases_Updated_Kentucky_Derby_Points_Races_for_2014

Comments

• Actually I think the timing is perfect. The two-year old “stars to be” will be making their marks and as the cream comes to the top everyone will be thinking "Derby Contender?"
  • Here are some horses to watch for the Derby next year: http://www.horseracingnation.com/p/c/kentucky_derby_2014_contenders They include Pennmarydel (the last full brother to Barbaro) and Willie B Awesome (full brother to Willa B Awesome)
  • I see Secretariat's Glory on the list. What a story that would make. He's by good sire Midnight Lute.
  • QueenZFan20QueenZFan20 Member
    edited August 2013
    Here is Secretariat's Glory's pedigree for those of you wanting to know. http://www.pedigreequery.com/secretariats+glory
  • A bit of inbreeding there but quite the pedigree
  • kurtkurt Member
    well, we can pretty much assume praud pletcher will have the favorite and about 4 horses running in it and none will hit the board
  • Remember when it was him and baffert hogging the derby? Baffert won left and right during the breeders cup races as well as pletcher. Last year tho in the Breeders cup races pletcher only won with Shanghai Bobby and I can't remember if I saw baffert in the winners circle. This year baffert has no starters for the derby and pletcher had like 5 (?) Lol none won. But oh come belmont day and Curlin has a belmont stakes winner called Palace Malice who struggled home to the finish line. Luckily he won't ever have to do that again. Come Travers dsy and we see what trainer comes out on top lol as well as what horse.
  • I'm just noticing changes recently between the two. Pletcher trains his horses like a bootcamp sargent. Lines em up, looks them over, gives the ok to train and they walk out onto the track in a line and they do whatever they are assigned to do. While baffert is talking to fans and mingling around watching his horses work.
  • jen_bloomjen_bloom Member
    edited August 2013
    I'm wandering away from the topic a bit, but just noticed that Secretariat's Glory has a half-brother called In A Blaze O' Glory. I found a sweet video about him on youtube. (Was going to post the link, but it's a little far from the topic.) Anyway, he was reconditioned as a young person's show jumper and pleasure horse, and it really made me happy. I just love to see former racehorses enjoying a second career, especially when they are so obviously loved and well-cared for. They have so much to offer.
  • Corfu impressed me this past weekend (and Wired Bryan) and there's another horse named Ghostly Wonder that I liked when I saw him (but can't find any more recent info on him...)
  • Remember when it was him and baffert hogging the derby? Baffert won left and right during the breeders cup races as well as pletcher. Last year tho in the Breeders cup races pletcher only won with Shanghai Bobby and I can't remember if I saw baffert in the winners circle. This year baffert has no starters for the derby and pletcher had like 5 (?) Lol none won. But oh come belmont day and Curlin has a belmont stakes winner called Palace Malice who struggled home to the finish line. Luckily he won't ever have to do that again. Come Travers dsy and we see what trainer comes out on top lol as well as what horse.
    Yeah remember both Archwarrior and Shanghai Bobby were garuanteed to win the Derby according to their hype... :P correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think a single horse from the BC Juvy ran in the Derby..?!
  • I'm wandering away from the topic a bit, but just noticed that Secretariat's Glory has a half-brother called In A Blaze O' Glory. I found a sweet video about him on youtube. (Was going to post the link, but it's a little far from the topic.) Anyway, he was reconditioned as a young person's show jumper and pleasure horse, and it really made me happy. I just love to see former racehorses enjoying a second career, especially when they are so obviously loved and well-cared for. They have so much to offer.
    Can you post...I'd like to see.
  • RachelRachel Member
    edited August 2013
    Thats weird, the video is gone. I was just watching it 30 mins ago
  • Sure, here it is. He's a grandson of Secretariat out of a mare (Secretariat's Fire) who was from the last crop of foals, in 1990. (I don't know anything about him other than what I found online. I'm just always interested in Secretariat descendants.)
  • Also, I'm new to this forum, so please let me know if this is the right way to link to a video or not. Thanks!
  • Thats weird, the video is gone. I was just watching it 30 mins ago
    Rachel, were you watching the video I posted? I put it up, and then took it down, and then put it up again when Especially_Horses asked for it. I wasn't sure if it was okay to post it here, since the topic is 2014 Kentucky Derby horses. Still learning my way around.
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    jen_bloom....there really isn't a right or wrong....we kinda wander where discussions take us...usually get back to main topic sooner or later...
    and WELCOME
  • Here is the first Derby profile for 2014. This one profiles Corfu who won the Saratoga Special: http://www.horseracingnation.com/blogs/pedigree_power/2014_Kentucky_Derby_Watch_Corfu_Pedigree_Profile_123
  • jen_bloom....there really isn't a right or wrong....we kinda wander where discussions take us...usually get back to main topic sooner or later...
    and WELCOME
    Thank you!
  • Secretariat still has direct descendants still able to have foals?? Wow.... *face surprised* Well, if Secretariat's Glory is in the Derby, I know who I'm rooting for... :) :) - Of course, in 2015 maybe we can root for Coz, and in 2016, little Red. A lady can always dream.
  • Thank you Jen!

Now here is another challenge for all you young sleuths out there (Rachel, ha-ha)….can someone find and post a pic of Secretariat’s Glory?
  • Secretariat still has direct descendants still able to have foals?? Wow.... *face surprised* Well, if Secretariat's Glory is in the Derby, I know who I'm rooting for... :) :) - Of course, in 2015 maybe we can root for Coz, and in 2016, little Red. A lady can always dream.
    His dam Secretariat's Fire is from his last crop, foaled in 1990. That would make her 23. She had a Leriodesanimaux colt May 1 of this year. I imagine she is getting close to the end of her breeding career.
  • Yes, it would appear she would be near the end of her breeding career. Her owner sure has made every effort to "give her a chance" to throw a good one....Midnight Lute and Leriodesanimaux, excellent. If she was bred again this year and is in foal, I sure would like to know and if so I would think the owner would be hoping for a filly...I know I would.
  • edited August 2013
    Thank you Jen!

Now here is another challenge for all you young sleuths out there (Rachel, ha-ha)….can someone find and post a pic of Secretariat’s Glory?
    I did find a YouTube video of Secretariat's Glory. It ends with a nice picture of him at 3:09.

• I love watching him swim! Thanks Mary.