Arlington Million & Intl Festival of Racing

KetaKeta Member
Arlington’s International Festival of Racing will be on Saturday, Aug. 17 and features five stakes races
including three Grade I events – the $1,000,000 Arlington Million for 3-year-olds & up;

Comments

• KetaKeta Member
    International Festival of Racing headlines Arlington Park’s 2013 schedule
    Press Release The Paulick Report 01.29.2013
    Arlington’s International Festival of Racing will be on Saturday, Aug. 17 and features
    five stakes races including three Grade I events – the $1,000,000 Arlington Million for
    3-year-olds & up; the $750,000 Beverly D. for fillies & mares, 3-year-olds & up; the $500,000 Secretariat Stakes for 3-year-olds – as well as the second edition of $400,000 American St. Leger for 3-year-olds & up and the $75,000 Hatoof Stakes all scheduled
    to be run over Arlington’s internationally acclaimed turf course.

The Million and Secretariat are both run at North America’s classic distance of a mile and a quarter while the Beverly D. is contested at a mile and three-sixteenths. The American St. Leger will be carded at the marathon distance of a mile and eleven-sixteenths (1m 5 1/2f) and the Hatoof (previously run as an overnight stakes race) will be run at 1 1/16 miles.
    http://www.paulickreport.com/news/the-biz/international-festival-of-racing-headlines-arlington-park-s-2013-schedule/
  • KetaKeta Member
    2013 Arlington Million (G1)
    Date/Track: 8/17/2013, Arlington Park
    Distance: 1 1/4 m (Turf)
    Age/Sex: 3+ M
    Time:
    List of Entries
    http://www.horseracingnation.com/race/2013_Arlington_Million

• KetaKeta Member
    edited August 2013
    Foreign Horses Pre-Enter Arlington Million
    By Blood-Horse Staff Updated: Sunday, August 11, 2013 7:18 PM
    Defending Arlington Million (gr. IT) champion Little Mike, trained by Dale Romans,
    was pre-entered along with 13 others for the 31st renewal of the prestigious race Aug. 17.
    If the son of Spanish Steps proves victorious again in the 1 1/4-mile grass test for owner Priscilla Vaccarezza, he will have to defeat up to seven foreign interests, including three group I winners. They are GusMay-Fer’s Indy Point (Richard Mandella) from Argentina via California, Godolphin Racing’s Hunter's Light (Saeed bin Suroor) from the United Arab Emirates, and Sheikh Mohammed bin Khalifa al Maktoum’s
    The Apache (Mike De Kock).
    Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/79975/foreign-horses-pre-enter-arlington-million#ixzz2bsse0gW5
  • KetaKeta Member
    International Festival of Racing Barn Notes: Sunday, August 11, 2013
    by Michael Adolphson | Churchill Downs Communications | 08/11/2013
    TEN EUROS ARRIVE AT ARLINGTON, FOUR MORE EXPECTED SUNDAY
    Two separate flights of European shippers for the International Festival of Racing arrived safely on the Arlington grounds on Saturday evening. The first to arrive were
    Flaxman Holding’s Duntle (Grade I Beverly D. Stakes),
    Team Valor International’s First Cornerstone and
    His Highness the Aga Khan’s Visiyani (both in the Grade I Secretariat Stakes).
    The second flight included four Arlington Million pre-entrants –
    Guiliano Manfredini’s Guest of Honour,
    Invictus’ Mull of Killough,
    Pearl Bloodstock’s Side Glance and
    Sheikh Mohammed bin Khalifa al Maktoum’s The Apache.
    Also on that flight was the American St. Leger-bound duo of
    Mark Hawtin’s Wigmore Hall and
    Australian Thoroughbred Bloodstock’s Dandino, as well as
    Alan Spence’s Beverly D.-bound Gifted Girl.
    The Saturday arrivals will be in quarantine until Tuesday morning.
    Expected to arrive Sunday afternoon at Arlington are
    Yvonne Jacques’ Grandeur (Million),
    Godolphin’s Hunter’s Light (Million),
    James Wigan’s Dank (Beverly D.) and
    Charles Fox’s Yeager (Secretariat).
    http://www.arlingtonpark.com/news/archives/international-festival-racing-barn-notes-sunday-august-11-2013
  • KetaKeta Member
    Michael Adolphson ‏Adolphson Racing 11 Aug
    The very muscly Arlington million shot Hunter's Light came with his godolphin blue entourage today. Arlington Racing

• KetaKeta Member
    Arlington Park ‏11 Aug
    Beverly D. contestant Dank exiting the van Arlington Racing Sunday.
    Photo by Adolphson Racing. Arlington Million

• KetaKeta Member
    Arlington Park ‏11 Aug
    Arlington Million runner Grandeur exiting the van at Arlington Racing
    Photo by Adolphson Racing

• KetaKeta Member
    Michael Adolphson ‏Adolphson Racing 11 Aug
    The nearly jet black Yeager - a studdish type - gets off the van.
    a live longshot in Secretariat Arlington Racing

• KetaKeta Member
    edited August 2013
    It is interesting that they named a turf course race after Secretariat-
    who never ran a turf race.
    I am pretty sure I am correct-Fact check time for race historians-am I?
    Secretariat did win the 1973 Arlington Invitational Stakes which was run on Dirt.

Keta Note: Special thanks to rachel for checking the facts-see Comments below!
  • He ran at Woodbine in his last race on turf. Its said he looked like a steam engine coming around the turn for home. With every expelled breath he took it streamed out just like the smoke of a steam engine. It was a cold rainy day but people still came regardless, to catch the last glimpse of the legendary Secretariat. Here is the video, made me smile real big.

• Perhaps I am mistaken, this race is the Marlboro Cup at Belmont Park. The field included Riva Ridge, Cougar II, and Key To The Mint among others
  • MaxMax Member
    @rachel. That's definitely Woodbine. It's the track of Secretariat's last race. Plus the skyline in the background is Toronto. The flags flying are the Canadian Maple Leaf and the Union Jack. They are also flying the provincial flags, and the announcer has a distinctively Canadian accent. Great video. Red looked magnificent as always. Wise Dan is supposed to ship there for the Woodbine Mile on September 15.
  • Secretariats LAST race EVER was on the turf at Woodbine. It would be nice if so called official-acting people would get their facts right.

Too many mistakes.
  • What's interesting, nearing the wire of the Secretariat Last Race, the fans at Woodbine instantaneously start running onto the dirt track to get a closer look!
  • Great vid! Loved the Olga Korbut and Evel Kneivel (spelling?) coming up. I watched these races on network. ABC Wide World of Sports; Jimmy the Greek; Jim McKay...Oh God!!!
  • KetaKeta Member
    edited August 2013
    rachel,
    What a find! Thank you so much.
    Amazing to watch him run again.
    Turf is added to his resume. Here is race info
    Woodbine 10/28/1973 Race 8 Canadian International Championship Stakes - Gr. 2
    Hugs, Keta
  • It sucks he was syndicated! What could have been! He was a turf monster, who knew! I bet he could of ran on any surface and he was only going to get better with age. Yup, back then you could actually do things like that lol I loved seeing the people run out to the track to watch him cross the wire. And just think, what would it have felt like to run out to the track while Sec was running too. Kinda like u got to run with him :) yup, things were great back then.
  • markinsacmarkinsac Member
    edited August 2013
    I always dreamed of Zenyatta running on the turf course. She would have inhaled her rivals.

So glad the "turf" has finally been officially added to Secretariat's resume after 40 years.
  • I always dreamed of Zenyatta running on the turf course. She would have inhaled her rivals.

So glad the "turf" has finally been officially added to Secretariat's resume after 40 years.
    ITA about Zenyatta. I would have loved to see her on turf. I also think she could have handled 12f easily.

• He ran at Woodbine in his last race on turf. Its said he looked like a steam engine coming around the turn for home. With every expelled breath he took it streamed out just like the smoke of a steam engine. It was a cold rainy day but people still came regardless, to catch the last glimpse of the legendary Secretariat. Here is the video, made me smile real big.
    The turf writers of the time were sufficiently impressed to vote him Champion Turf Horse for 1973.
  • I would have loved for him to run on turf more. What a horse
  • You should go on YouTube and watch the Man O' War stakes. It's a turf race; actually Secretariat's first race on turf, and he beats the record holder of turf races. It's a great video, you'll like it. What a horse doesn't begin to describe his talents and his brilliant athleticism.
  • KetaKeta Member
    Racing Stats & Info ‏tweet
    31st running of the Arlington Million Saturday.
    Little Mike can win it twice!
    Join John Henry who won in 1981 & ’84 and lost by a neck in 83
  • edited August 2013
    Wow, a Kitten's Joy hat trick on Arlington Million Day! Congrats to the Ramseys, on 1. Coalport, 2. Admiral's Kitten, 3. Real Solution! And a Super High Five for Rosie, the first female jockey to win Secretariat stakes! Is Big Red trying to telling to tell us something about being the first to recognize and honor 'Girl Power'? http://bcove.me/y2thoi0d

• After Secretariat won the Man O' War Stakes on turf, Ron Turcotte said he thought Secretariat might be even better on turf than on dirt. If you watch his stride in the Man O' War, you can tell he's really loving it. The horse he's up against there, Tentam, was a four year old and a world record holder on turf.