odds@betting

mooreharoldmooreharold Member
do owners and trainers know when their horses can win?

Comments

• THAT IS A VERY GOOD QUESTION!

Some thoughts: In most races, especially at high-class tracks like Saratoga, most everybody in the race feels that their horse can win. But that is the problem. If all have their horse ready, then there's no real advantage.

I've worked as a groom in both the harness and thoroughbred industries. I was seeking inside information so I could bet. Every time I got a "tip," the horse somehow found a way to lose. But an odd thing occurred, the horse usually won in it's next start. Go figure that out.

Now a tip usually on a horse that has been working out well, maybe a drop in class is all he or she needs.

I truly believe, in most cases, that races are on the up and up, meaning they are not fixed. To fix a race it would take the contribution of nearly all the jockeys in a race.

On the other hand, some HAVE been convicted of FIXING races, but it's a rare happening. Surely, some have fixed races and never got caught.

And sometimes there's this scenario: A jockey and trainer may deceive the betting public to cash a ticket at a higher price because they hold back information. Look at this comment by Hall of Fame trainer Mel Stute. He breaks all the ethical rules of racing just to cash a bet. Scroll down and read the question "Favorite gambling story."

http://www.drf.com/news/qa-mel-stute

Here's the ethical rules Mel violated:

WORKING THE HORSE IN THE DARK- yeah so the workout clockers wouldn't see how fast the horse ran and report it to the betting public, giving them information on the horses' ability.

SENDING A $500 BET TO TIJUANA, MEXICO SO THE TRACK ODDS WOULDN'T DROP-not only does this deceive the bettors on knowing somebody likes this horse so much as to bet that amount on it, but also the bet doesn't get taxed, depriving him and fellow horsemen of purse money.

SENDING A BET THROUGH THE STEWARDS-nothing surprising here. In California, the stewards are some of the most unethical in the business. They should have investigated this bet, not relay it.

Then there's the factor of drugs, both legal and illegal. From my experiences, most owners DO bet on their own horses. They usually ask the trainer how confident they are on this particular race. They may bet higher amounts if the trainer is more confident. Since we bettors are not aware of what horses received which drugs, it's almost impossible to bet with any confidence any more.

To go back to your original question, I'd say owners and trainers have a bit more info on how their horses will perform. But in this business, nothing's a sure thing.
  • Very interesting stuff marcinsac.