Judy The Beauty

EriNCEriNC Member
edited August 2013 in General Interest
Did anyone see what happened to her? Heard she was scratched at the gate before the Ballerina. She is one of my favorites

Comments

• Per the Bloodhorse:

Princess Rooney Handicap (gr. I) runner-up Judy the Beauty, bet to 3-1 in the 10-horse field, was scratched at the post after apparently injuring herself in the starting gate. Trainer Wesley Ward said afterward that the daughter of Ghostzapper lost a tooth but was otherwise uninjured.

• ok thanks I heard she flipped in the gate wanted to make sure it wasnt serious
  • Making her first start of 2014

Judy the Beauty is entered today at SANTA ANITA PARK.

Race: 7 - 3:34 PM $1 Exacta / $1 Trifecta $1 Rolling Pick Three (Races 7-8-9)

STAKES
    Las Flores S. - Grade: 3

Purse: $ 100,000. For Fillies And Mares Four Years Old And Upward. By Subscription Of $100 Each To Accompany The Nomination, Closed With 9. $1,500 Additional To Start, With $100,000 Guaranteed Of Which $60,000 To The Winner, $20,000 To Second, $12,000 To Third, $6,000 To Fourth and $2,000 to fifth. 123 lbs. Non-winners of a Graded Stakes since September 8, 2013, allowed 3 lbs. Non-winners of a Graded Stake since March 8 2013, allowed 5 lbs. A trophy will be presented to the winning owner. Six Furlongs.
  • EriNC, I hate her name. Tell me why she is special. I hate to hold her name against her; it wasn't her choice.
  • edited March 2014
    Don't know how she came to be named, but with her easy win today and with Groupie Doll retired she is in position to step up to the top of the list of Filly/Mare Sprinters.
  • EriNCEriNC Member
    edited March 2014
    EriNC, I hate her name. Tell me why she is special. I hate to hold her name against her; it wasn't her choice.
    She has always been a really good filly/ mare her equibase stats say she has never finished worse than 3rd in 14 starts. 6 firsts, 7 seconds, and one 3rd. She was 2nd behind Groupie Doll in last years BC filly/ mare sprint. She is also lightly raced she is a 5 year old but has only raced 14 times. She also has raced overseas in France.

• hey, absolutely no inbreeding whatsoever!
  • I guess I'll have to rise above my distaste for the name.
    I still find "Mysurgardaddy" more distasteful, and that is unfortunate considering he is out of Tasty Temptation.

Maybe Judy was a beautiful foal and someone said "what a beauty". Just trying to find "anything" to help make the name more amenable for you, lol, as she may be the next filly/mare sprint champ.

• Something caught my attention when reviewing Paynter’s pedigree, that either I forgot (which is possible, lol) or which for some reason never resonated before. I knew there was a Tiznow connection with Paynter, but somehow I completely missed the Tizna connection. I LOVED that mare when she was racing and went to see her race many times. I can still picture her in my mind AND I have photos that I took of her in the Santa Anita walking ring. It’ like a “duh” moment for me: TIZna…TIZly..Cee’s TIZzy..TIZnow. Duh!

The great Tizna:
    Owner: Nile Financial Corp.
    Breeder: Haras El Parque
    Winnings: 54 Starts: 18 - 9 - 13, $640,468

At 4:
    1st: Monrovia H, Santa Paula H.
    At 5:
    1st: Ramona H, Santa Margarita Invitational H, Santa Monica H.
    2nd: Santa Maria H.
    3rd: Beldame S, Long Beach H, Santa Barbara H, Autumn Days H.
    At 6:
    1st: Santa Margarita Invitational H, Autumn Days H., Hawthorne H., Wilshire H.
    2nd: Las Flores H., Beldame S., Ramona H., Milady H., Las Palmas H., Santa Maria H.
    3rd: Palomar H., National Thoroughbred Championship Invitational H.

At 7:
    1st: San Gorgonio H.
    3rd: Santa Barbara H., Santa Maria H., Santa Monica H.
    • Trainer (USA): Henry Moreno
    • Multiple SW in U.S.
    • Blaze and 4 white feet.
    • Died in 1989; buried at Overbrook Farm, KY.
  • KetaKeta Member
    Tom Ryan ‏tweet about Holy Blitz on Sunday March 9
    Dam of Judy the Beauty to Paynter Dam of Heir kitty to Sidney's Candy. @WinStarFarm ..
    Judy's mother should foal tonight. IFT A Again (in foal then to Awesome Again)

• KetaKeta Member
    Las Flores Stakes (Gr. III) - Sunday, March 9
    Santa Anita Park Live VIDEO
    Judy the Beauty wins!

• KetaKeta Member
    Mike Welsch ‏Daily Racing Form tweet Monday March 10 2014
    Owner/trainer Wesley Ward says his Judy the Beauty will ship directly to Keeneland
    off her big win Sunday at SA to prepare for the Madison

I still find "Mysurgardaddy" more distasteful, and that is unfortunate considering he is out of Tasty Temptation.

Maybe Judy was a beautiful foal and someone said "what a beauty". Just trying to find "anything" to help make the name more amenable for you, lol, as she may be the next filly/mare sprint champ.
    Thanks for this. "Tasty Temptation" is a bit much, too, but in a way, goes with "Sugar Daddies" and such. Kind of low class actually. Too bad, because TT was a nice mare when she was Zenyatta's BFF.

I don't know what it is about Judy the Beauty that I hate as a name. I think it's the combination of Judy and beauty. I'm sure she was a beautiful foal as she's now a beautiful mare (or is she still a filly? not sure of her age). I can rise above it; she's not to blame for her stupid name. lol

• KetaKeta Member
    Judy is a Beauty in Las Flores
    Excerpt from article:
    Bred in Ontario by Adena Springs, Judy the Beauty was a bargain $20,000 purchase for Ward as a Keeneland September yearling. She is out of the stakes-winning Holy Bull mare Holy Blitz, and her third dam is the stakes-scoring Horsafire, who would go on in the breeding shed to produce Grade 2 heroine Incinerate, Grade 3 victor Fan the Flame and Judy the Beauty's second dam, multiple stakes winner Pagofire.
    Incinerate is herself the dam of both Grade 1 diva and 2005 Kentucky Oaks runner-up In the Gold as well as three-time stakes scorer High Blitz. Another of Horsafire's grandprogeny is Hemingway's Key, who ran third in the 2006 Preakness Stakes.
    Farther back in this female family one can find champions Affectionately, Bridal Flower, Bimelech and Black Helen as well as blue-hen mare *La Troienne.
    http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/editorial/full_edition.cgi
  • Judy the Beauty's next start will be the Gr.1 Madison on April 12 at Keeneland
  • KetaKeta Member
    Judy the Beauty Sharpens Speed for Run in Madison
    Judy the Beauty, winner of the Thoroughbred Club of America (G2) here last fall, worked five furlongs in :59.60 on the main track in preparation for the $300,000 Madison (G1) to be run Saturday, April 12. The work was the fastest of the morning at the distance.
    Trained by owner Wesley Ward, Judy the Beauty has won all three of her starts at Keeneland. Saturday’s work was her first since winning the Las Flores (G3) at Santa Anita on March 9 in her 2014 debut.
    http://www.keeneland.com/about/barn-notes-sat-march-29
  • KetaKeta Member
    Judy the Beauty scores big in GI Madison Stakes – Results and Replay
    Posted on April 12, 2014 downthestretchs
    Judy the Beauty, stamped herself as the leader of the older gals sprinting division with a big multiple lengths win in today’s $300,000, GI Madison Stakes, for older F/M sprinters, at 7f’s over a soon to be defunk Keeneland main poly track, covering the distances in 1:22.4.
    Better Lucky, came 2nd, with Apropos, rallying up late for 3rd
    http://downthestretchs.wordpress.com/2014/04/12/judy-the-beauty-scores-big-in-gi-madison-stakes-results-and-replay/
  • Good going Judy!
  • Haven't heard from this little lady lately.

Judy the Beauty (5-Year-Old Mare)

Date: June 30, 2014
    Track: CHURCHILL DOWNS
    Distance: Four Furlongs
    Time: 49:00 Breezing

Track Condition: Fast
    Surface: Dirt
  • Waiting for this little Lady's next race.

Judy the Beauty (5-Year-Old Mare)

Date: July 7, 2014
    Distance: Four Furlongs
    Time: 46:80 Breezing
    Track Condition: Fast
    Surface: Dirt
  • Judy the Beauty (5-Year-Old Mare)
    Date: July 25, 2014
    Distance: Five Furlongs
    Time: 1.01:20 Breezing