Keeneland September Yearling Sale – September 9th – September 21st 2013

edited September 2013 in Thoroughbred Breeding
Watching these yearlings go through the sales ring is so addicting!

The format for the 2013 September Yearling Sale, to be held September 9-21, will be as follows:

Book 1 sessions begin at 12:00p.m.
Monday, September 9 Hips 1- 219 (219 head)
Tuesday, September 10 Hips 220-438 (219 head)
Wednesday, September 11 Hips 439-656 (218 head)
Thursday, September 12 Hips 657-875 (219 head)

Friday, September 13 NO SALE

All remaining sessions begin at 10:00 a.m.

Book 2
Saturday, September 14 Hips 876- 1299 (424 head)
Sunday, September 15 Hips 1300-1724 (425 head)

Book 3
Monday, September 16 Hips 1725-2122 (398 head)
Tuesday, September 17 Hips 2123-2521 (399 head)

Book 4
Wednesday, September 18 Hips 2522-2918 (397 head)
Thursday, September 19 Hips 2919-3301 (383 head)

Book 5
Friday, September 20 Hips 3302-3606 (305 head)
Saturday, September 21 Hips 3607-3908 (302 head)

First up will be a Pulpit colt, followed by three more colts...

Hip 001 – Pulpit / Fairy Princess, Consignor Lane’s End, Agent
Hip 002 – Tiznow / False Impression , Consignor KatieRich Farms
Hip 003 – Arch / Fanny Cerrito, Consignor Taylor Made Sales Agency
Hip 004 – Tapit Fantastic Shirl, Consignor Lane’s End Agent

Comments

• Will the sale be online?
  • @Especially_Horses - I agree; it is very addicting!
    @QueenZFan20 - A live feed will be available on Keeneland's website and on BloodHorse.com

Sales are my passion, as I love the prospect of finding a superstar before it ever becomes one. Last year, I selected Strong Mandate from the September Sale and I'm hoping I can find another grade one winner this year! After attending two sales this year for the first time (the Fasig-Tipton July Sale and the Fasig-Tipton Texas Summer Yearlings Sale), the importance of conformation became even more significant to me, so this year, I am not solely choosing yearlings off of pedigree. Thanks to three sales agencies (Denali Stud, Elm Tree Farm, and Three Chimneys), I was able to view the conformation of several yearlings and make my selections from those three consignments. If you're interested, here are my eleven selections for the sale, all selling in various books: http://pastthegrandstand.blogspot.com/2013/09/part-one-2013-keeneland-september.html
  • @PastTheGrandstand: Excellent. You may not have been the buyer of Strong Mandate, but it can rewarding to select certain yearlings that you'd buy or recommend if you were in the spot to do so and then see them succeed. Good job! Now off to see your eleven selections.
  • Videos on some of the yearlings for sale.
    http://www.tout.com/m/t3bkhg?ref=twvmln2q

Hip 346, a half-brother to newly-minted Hall of Famer Invasor, by Tapit.

Hip 622,Giant's Causeway filly o/o Wilshewed, dam of Stormello&My Best Brother. 1/2 bro brought $1.55m last yr

Hip 541, Indian Charlie filly o/o Take Charge Lady, making her half to G1Ws Take Charge Indy & Will Take Charge

Hip 304, a Distorted Humor colt o/o the undefeated Peppers Pride

Hip 523, a Medaglia d'Oro colt o/o Supercharger, dam of Super Saver, Brethren

Hip 182, 1/2 bro to top sire Malibu Moon,from the last crop of Indian Charlie

Hip 855, a Tiznow filly, who is a half-sister to 2011 HOTY Havre de Grace

Hip 216, a Giant's Causeway colt o/o Mining My Own, dam of Dullahan & Mine That Bird

Hip 377, a full-brother to MG1W Zazu and G2W Flashback, by Tapit

Hip 407, a colt by 1st-crop sires to watch, Desert Party

• Here are some notable full siblings to keep an eye out for:

Hip 27 - colt - Tale of the Cat x Forty Love - full to Forty Tales
    Hip 67 - colt - Bernardini x Heat Lightning - full to Theyskens' Theory, half to Stevie Wonderboy
    Hip 98 - colt - Giant's Causeway x Imagine (IRE) - full to Viscount Nelson, half to Horatio Nelson
    Hip 101 - filly - Tiznow x Indian Snow - full to Morning Line
    Hip 118 - colt - Unbridled's Song x Joke - full to Zensational
    Hip 198 - colt - Medaglia d'Oro x Maya - full to Al Khali
    Hip 199 - colt - Tapit x Mayan Milagra - full to Dancinginherdreams
    Hip 230 - filly - More Than Ready x Miss Seffens - full to More Than Real
    Hip 266 - colt - Tapit x My White Corvette - full to Stardom Bound
    Hip 290 - filly - Pulpit x Owsley - full to Senada, half to Arthur's Tale
    Hip 299 - filly - Giant's Causeway x Path of Thunder - full to Excited, Wait Til Dawn
    Hip 311 - filly - Bernardini x Pilfer - full to To Honor and Serve
    Hip 354 - colt - Malibu Moon x Rahrahsixboombah - full to Life at Ten
    Hip 360 - colt - Distorted Humor x Ready's Gal - full to Machen
    Hip 377 - colt - Tapit x Rhumb Line - full to Zazu, Flashback
    Hip 394 - filly - Pulpit x Ruthian - full to Rutherienne, Ruthenia
    Hip 460 - colt - Giant's Causeway x Slide - full to Santiva
    Hip 499 - filly - Harlan's Holiday x Steelin - full to Shanghai Bobby
    Hip 629 - filly - Distorted Humor x Wile Cat - full to Shumoos
    Hip 623 - colt - Giant's Causeway x Win Crafty Lady - full to Win McCool
    Hip 717 - filly - Street Cry x Blushing Ogygian - full to Street Boss
    Hip 772 - colt - Midnight Lute x Citiview - full to Midnight Lucky
    Hip 984 - filly - Northern Afleet x Maggy Hawk - full to Afleet Alex, Unforgettable Max
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    Remember seeing #984 in stonestreet photos....she is something
  • I love these full sibs; it's cool to go back to the well; see if lightning strikes twice!
  • Cool! Thanks for listing the videos and noting the full siblings to watch for. I've combed through part of the listings to look for babies of some of the mares I followed in their careers. Unlike our dear Zenyatta, once most of the fillies and mares are retired you never hear about them again until you see their name on a sales sheet or one of their offspring later gets a win. Stallions get mentioned in the press all the time - that's where the advertising dollars come in - but I have found it more difficult to learn about the mamas - lol! I'm looking forward to seeing how the sales go and glad that we can follow along. Thanks for sharing your insights also, Past the Grandstand.
  • AmandaFAmandaF Member
    edited September 2013
    Keeneland September Sale - Hip 61 by War Front out of a full sister to Departing's(by War Front) dam Leave. So this colt is bred excatly the same as Departing. With Departings win on Sat that will for sure add to Hip 61's value.
    http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/videos/12790/keeneland-september-sale---hip-61-by-war-front?section=sales
  • Celeste_in_TX...I'm with you on following the dams of the runners. I get so sick and tired of hearing...'By (insert name of any well known commercial stud) out of mare by (insert name of any well known commercial stud)'. I start to feel like if you can't even say her name, then maybe she shouldn't have been bred at all. Can you even imagine hearing an announcer saying 'And here we have the debut win by Cozmic One by the AP Indy line sire Bernardini out of a Street Cry mare'. GAG!!! Or, 'Another win by Jess's Dream by the outstanding sire Curlin out of a Medaglio d'Oro mare.' I shutter.

• Medaglia d'Oro Filly Sells for $1.5 Million
    By Blood-Horse Staff

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/80571/medaglia-doro-filly-sells-for-15-million#ixzz2eQ0NP0ME
  • Ooops.. my bad. That should be 'shudder' not shutter.
  • AmandaFAmandaF Member
    edited September 2013
    Hip 61 colt Guide/War Front. full blood brother to Departing, sold for $1M
  • Hip 67 - colt - Bernardini x Heat Lightning - full to Theyskens' Theory, half to Stevie Wonderboy
    Sold for $650,000
  • Hip 18 colt Candy Ride x Flying Dixie sold for $700,000
  • AmandaFAmandaF Member
    edited September 2013
    Hip 80 Miss Hollywood filly Malibu Moon x Hollywood Story sold for $1.35M
  • Finally able to log in for a short time to watch. First hip I saw was Hip 80. What a beauty. The Live Streaming format is new isn't it....being able to see the auction, the catalog page and the previous results all on one window. Really like this format....not having to open two or three windows and going back and forth to keep updated. Very nice.
  • Hip 101 filly Tiznow x Indian Snow, full sister to Morning Line sold for $400,000
  • Hip 110 colt Unbridled's Song x Irish Smoke sold for $1.1M
  • Medaglia d'Oro Filly Sells for $1.5 Million Hip 38
    A Medaglia d'Oro filly brought a top bid of $1.5 million from Alan Cooper to top the early portion of the Keeneland September yearling sale Sept. 9 in Lexington.
    A Medaglia d'Oro filly brought a top bid of $1.5 million from Alan Cooper to top the early portion of the Keeneland September yearling sale Sept. 9 in Lexington. Bred in Kentucky by Emory A. Hamilton, the filly was consigned by Gainesway, agent, and was purchased by Cooper on behalf of the Niarchos family
    Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/80571/medaglia-doro-filly-sells-for-15-million#ixzz2eQWPaB1y
  • War Front Colt Second Seven-Figure Horse Hip 61
    A colt by War Front from the same female family as Departing was sold for $1 million
    as the second seven-figure horse at the first session of the Keeneland September yearling sale.
    Consigned by the Hancock family's Claiborne Farm, the colt featured in a Bloodhorse.com video was purchased by Coolmore Stud's M. V. Magnier.
    Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/80573/war-front-colt-second-seven-figure-horse#ixzz2eQVWnSks

Here is the video
    http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/videos/12790/keeneland-september-sale---hip-61-by-war-front?section=sales
  • Malibu Moon Filly Brings $1.35M at Keeneland Hip 80
    A Malibu Moon–Hollywood Story filly brought a price of $1,350,000 to become the second-highest-priced offering at the midway point of the first session of the Keeneland September yearling sale Sept. 9 in Lexington.
    Consigned by Hill 'n' Dale Sales Agency, the filly, named Miss Hollywood, was purchased by Northwest Stud. She is out of Hollywood Story, a daughter of Wild Rush who earned $1.7 million and won two grade I stakes at Hollywood Park in Southern California and is the dam of stakes-placed Hoorayforhollywood.
    Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/80575/malibu-moon-filly-brings-135m-at-keeneland#ixzz2eQUrvyoJ
  • Rea Lands Unbridled's Song Colt for $1.1m Hip 110
    Nat Rea's Regis Farms secured an Unbridled's Song colt for $1.1 million Sept. 9 in the first session of the Keeneland September yearling sale.
    The colt was the fourth yearling to sell for $1 million or more about halfway through the first session.
    Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/80578/rea-lands-unbridleds-song-colt-for-11m#ixzz2eQWzF7CP
  • Where have they been hiding these yearlings? All of them look like they're 2-yr olds!
  • Tom Hall ‏tweet
    Zayat Stables gives $575,000 for handsome Tiznow colt o/o Fusaichi Pegasus mare Ididntmeantoo, a daughter of G2SW Bella Chiarra(Phone Trick)