Kentucky Horse Park

KetaKeta Member
edited March 2012 in Community & Creativity
Kentucky Horse Park posted on Facebook & Twitter
Tomorrow 4,800 Kentucky 4th-graders will enjoy a special live equine show created just for them at the Ky Horse Park. Special guest appearances by Dan James of Australia and Clay Maier with his Friesians.
The show will be the highlight of this season's Kentucky Horse Park Literacy Program, which provided Michael Morpurgo's "War Horse" books to kids in Central Kentucky. The show will complement the War Horse storyline. Photo (c) www.jennifermunson.com

Comments

• That is wonderful. Very lucky 4th graders.
  • Wow! That is just so cool. The Kentucky Horse Park is to me almost an equine Disney World - I just love it that much. How wonderful they reach out to the youth to encourage literacy and learning through horses. I believe there is a Black Stallion Literacy project that reaches out to underprivileged kids also, but I don't remember if it is underwritten by the Farley family or not. Thanks for sharing the info, Keta. I had not seen that yet.
  • KetaKeta Member
    Kentucky Leaders Agree to Budget
    By Beth Musgrave
    bmusgrave@herald-leader.com
    FRANKFORT — House and Senate leaders agreed on a $19 billion, two-year state budget just before 3 a.m. Thursday, providing $3.5 million to help the Kentucky Horse Park and $2.5 million to start the redevelopment of Rupp Arena.
    Lawmakers closed the deal just minutes before a self-imposed deadline, giving legislative staffers enough time to make requested changes in the bill before rank-and-file members must vote on it late Friday.
    To close that gap, the Senate agreed to allow $3.5 million to go to the Kentucky Horse Park out of funds that Beshear must find in the budget. Beshear had originally proposed giving additional funding to the Horse Park to offset a budget deficit of $3.6 million. However, both sides agreed that the Horse Park would have to provide a business plan to state leaders by June 30.
  • I hope the 4th graders have fun, my horse's great grand sire has a statue there, but he's not a TB he's a saddlebred
  • I would enjoy a trip to the park. there are so many different breeds to view. This gives people a chance to get to learn about other horses. It is like a candy store. Horse people are the best. Sherry
  • I volunteered at the World Equestrian Games at the park back in 2010. We had zillions of school kids come through. It was a good experience for them.
  • KetaKeta Member
    Kentucky Horse Park tweeted
    Endearing photos of wild stallion rescuing filly from drowning

Wild horse photographed rescuing another horse from drowning in Arizona
    Stallion named 'Champ' grabbed filly by neck and dragged her to safety

http://www.rgj.com/videonetwork/1549681230001/Wild-horse-photographed-rescuing-another-horse-from-drowning-in-Arizona
  • Well....I am off to Kentucky on Wed! A friend has a wonderful place and I decided...now is the time so....off to KY
  • Keta - what a cool video! Thanks for sharing the link.

Vickie - have fun in Kentucky. Please go to the Kentucky Horse Park and the Hall of Champions and tell Cigar I still love him and let Funny Cide know I hope to meet him some day soon. You are going to love it there!!
  • Well....I am off to Kentucky on Wed! A friend has a wonderful place and I decided...now is the time so....off to KY
    Make sure you visit Old Friends as well!
  • KETA....OH that video...WOW!!!! My daughter posted it on her FB to share. Thank you.

Vickie.....Have FUN FUN FUN!!! Go to the Arab exhibit too. Nice time of year to go.Walk by that camera and we will wave to ya. HAHA!!!!
  • KetaKeta Member
    The Kentucky Horse Park tweeted
    Next Wednesday we'll celebrate the birthdays of 2-time Horse of the Year Cigar and Kentucky Derby winner Go for Gin.
    Come out and wish Cigar a happy 22nd and Go for Gin a happy 21st birthday!
    Photo of Go for Gin by www.PixBySteve.com
  • VickieSoCal...Make sure you go to the training center while in Lexington. Full of horses esp. this time of year. Chris McCarron also runs the jockey school out of there.
  • Can't believe Cigar is 22 Saw him race Del Mar and Santa Anita Great Horse Hope he is given good care Was wonderful to see him run!!!!!!!!! Time flies, seems like yesterday when he was racing.
  • I'm planning my vacation now for October and it's off to KY. Cannot wait to visit the KY Horse Park. I can't believe Cigar is 22 either...want to see him and Funny Cide. Also going to Old Friends...Commentator is there and I just adore him. Does anyone know of a good place for 3 people and a miniature pinscher to stay for about 5 days? I was thinking of staying at Old Friends but I'm looking at other options.
  • KetaKeta Member
    Lane's End Farm tweeted on Friday May 18th
    Excellent news:
    Pleasantly Perfect's Eclipse Award winner Rapid Redux is retired to Ky Horse Park!.
  • Good for him! A well deserved retirement!
  • RachelRachel Member
    Wonder if hell have a paddock cam too ;)
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    Read article on bloodhorse again...does not say he for sure he will go to horse park...they have not accepted him yet is what it sounds like....his connections have offered
  • RachelRachel Member
    I would of loved to see him go to old friends. seems you get more info on the horses there than the kentucky horse park. he would of loved the people at old friends theyd spoil him lol
  • shirleeshirlee Member
    With his record and following, the Kentucky Horse Park would be crazy not to take him. But I agree, he would love Old Friends. You can just tell how much they care about their horses when you do the tour. What fun to have Gulch's horse slobber running down your arm from feeding him carrots!
  • KetaKeta Member
    Kentucky Horse Park‏ reminder tweet
    Wish you were in London watching Olympic eventers?
    Next spring you can see many of them right here in person at RolexKentucky