Azeri

markinsacmarkinsac Member
edited October 2013 in Thoroughbred Racing & Sales
Well, my post came out about Azerbajani people instead of Azeri. So I'll tell you that she was Horse of the Year in 2002. Her trainer, Laura De Seroux recommended that she be retired because of an injury, but her owner, the younger Paulson decided to continue to race her, yanking her from De Seroux and giving her to D. Wayne Lukas.

She was bred 5 times without much success and was finally sold to Japanese interests. Does anybody know what happened to her after that?

Comments

• Pedigree Query shows Azeri has 6 foals, the first one being born in 2007. It looks to me like she is producing every year from that point onward. If she has a 2007 foal, then she had to be bred successfully in 2006.
  • Her first foal is a colt, Take Control. He is still in training in California. He won at first asking but has not done much since. He had several injuries. Her daughter Arienza did quite well at first but then tapered off. She was retired to be bred.
  • markinsacmarkinsac Member
    edited October 2013
    She was bred to two horses of the year, but the foals didn't do very well. While I'm hoping for the best, Zenny's kids have big horseshoes to fill.
  • All foals of successful parent(s) have those shoes and expectations put upon them. That's what is so fascinating (to me anyway) about Tapit kids...he was a nice runner to be sure but no great shakes; look at what he's produced. Not just a couple, but several really good runners and in general beautiful horses. It was indeed fortunate that he was bred to some really good mares.
  • But the high-priced Bernardini has been somewhat of a disappointment considering his stud fee?
  • When Cozmic One hits the track, we will see ;)
    edited October 2013
    Oh boy will there be a lot of anticipating fans there. I hope I'm one. Where is Cozmic One supposed to train (what state) and who's supposed to train him?
  • heres a pic of take control from saturday..not a great shot but for anyone thats never seen him, heres your chance, hes a dark chectnut..had thought he was more copper but hes not
    Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
  • Oh boy will there be a lot of anticipating fans there. I hope I'm one. Where is Cozmic One supposed to train (what state) and who's supposed to train him?

Hes going where Zenyatta herself has gone, to Ocala Florida
    edited October 2013
    I expect Shirreffs to winter in Miami. Does that mean he will be his trainer?

Of course, we can't expect Coz to even start as a 2 year old. We'll see . . .
  • edited October 2013
    Coz will be at the Mayberry's farm until well into next year, so you can't draw any conclusions about his future trainer from that. I'd guess that Shirreffs will train him, but the Mosses also use John Sadler. It may depend on where they want him to run, although as their first "grandchild" I'd bet they would prefer to have him in California.

Azeri's produce record is nothing to sneeze at. Azeri's daughter by Ghostzapper, Wine Princess, is a G3 winner and is G2 placed. She is in training and is running Sunday in the G1 Juddmonte Spinster Stakes. So although she isn't her mother, she's not chopped liver either.

Take Control has suffered from injuries or something. He's very talented, though, so I expect they'll keep trying.

Arienza, her 2008 Giant's Causeway filly, was G2 placed.
  • Those records are OK, but when your parents are two HOY's, one would expect more. Think Brad and Angelina's kids.
  • Those records are OK, but when your parents are two HOY's, one would expect more. Think Brad and Angelina's kids.
    What have they done to distinguish themselves?
    edited October 2013
    What I'm trying to do is point out that we can't expect super well-bred horses to be a cinch to be champs. Even Zenyatta had humble breeding, she sold for only 60k.

The odds of Zenny's or Rachel's or any other mare's foals becoming a champion is still longshot.

Of course the sires have much better chances because of the numbers.
  • Maybe this is a good example: On only two occasions has a President sired another President.
  • edited October 2013
    Breeding has something to do with it too, just because you're a champion doesn't mean you'll foal a champion! Look at Slew, Big Red, Zenyatta, Affirmed and Alydar, Cigar, and IHA just to name a few. I truly believe a true champion lies in the mare who passes on the heart and fire, that x factor that a lot of old school breeders lived by. New breeders have lost the true knowledge of choosing the right mare for the right stallion, all they want to do is breed champion to champion and get a champion, doesn't work that way!
    If you look at the dosage of most champions, you will find a family mare 'that was good to us' on the farm not at the track. One of the reasons that the Ramsey's are winning a lot of races with their Kittens, et al; the old fashioned family farm raised champions. You need to start with a good, solid foundation mare, and if she happens to be a champion like Take Charge Lady or Lisa Danielle, all the better! The secret is the broodmare sire, the sire passes on his heart to his daughter!
  • Joanna_TXJoanna_TX Member
    edited October 2013
    Maybe the thing to do in rating stallions and broodmares re 'champion' status is to consider the percentage of successful progeny, not the raw numbers. Somebody must have done this already.
    If a mare only has 3 foals and two are graded stakes placed (1,2 or 3), that's pretty good. Like what, 66% in the money? Now consider a stallion who has produced 200 foals and 25 are graded stakes placers (1,2 or 3). That's only 12.5%. Uhhhhh.
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    Maybe the thing to do in rating stallions and broodmares re 'champion' status is to consider the percentage of successful progeny, not the raw numbers. Somebody must have done this already.
    If a mare only has 3 foals and two are graded stakes placed (1,2 or 3), that's pretty good. Like what, 66% in the money? Now consider a stallion who has produced 200 foals and 25 are graded stakes placers (1,2 or 3). That's only 12.5%. Uhhhhh.
    I love statistics....there is always a way to even things out
  • Pepper9873Pepper9873 Member
    edited October 2013
    The problem with that is the fact that stallions can have far more progeny than mares, so they're guaranteed to have more foals that don't land graded stakes wins. So they're going to need a lower percentage to be considered good sires.
  • Oh no!!! Larry Zap ‏@larryzapeye 17m Sad to report that Take Control just went down working with Martin Garcia...jock got up...Take Control looks in real trouble. #justsad
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    read on Zennys Tribe that Take Control did not make it
    RIP ....just torn up about this...such a beautiful boy
  • Me too, this just breaks my heart, such a beautiful, beautiful boy. RIP Take Control, sweet, beautiful boy.