Santa Anita Race Track

Jenon66Jenon66 Member
edited March 2012 in Community & Creativity
I am hoping to attend the Breeder's Cup this November at Santa Anita. I have never been to this track before and was wondering what sections of the track is the best to sit at with a view of the finish line? I went to the Breeder's Cup at Churchill Downs and my seats were on the turn and it was really hard to see so I am hoping to avoid that this time.

Comments

• well you might want to buy those tickets now, that area fills fast, from what I have learned sitting at about the 1/8 pole gives the best view overall now it depends on what race you want to watch they are run at different distances so the best areas vary some if you want to watch the mile races then sit at the 7/8 pole
  • You will LOVE Santa Anita - that's a promise. Personally, I like the Clubhouse seating and it is near the finish line. Go to the Santa Anita website and take a look at their seating chart - that will help you more than anything else. Although the box seats are usually considered more desirable, the truth is that the box seats that ARE right in front of the finish line are taken by season box seat holders, etc. So the box seats for the general public are to the left of the finish line, while the clubhouse seating is to the right of the finish line. However, I always get clubhouse because I cannot stay away from the food offerings in the clubhouse area, like those great Reuben sandwiches! It is likely that ALL seats will be placed on sale for Breeder's Cup so if you are ready to spend in the four digits, you may be able to sit in the prized box seats and be on the finish line exactly. Be sure you let everyone know how to get in touch with you once you are in the area! ~~HH
  • haha I've been in both the box seats I liked more but your paying at least 3 times as much
  • I've been going to Santa Anita for years. If you can fit it into your schedule, be sure to see as much as you can to take in the "history" :-) Many of the Z Dumplings like to mingle by the paddock and saddling barn - it doesn't get any better than that!

Enjoy your visit!
    Auntie Judy
  • Thank you very much for the information. I understand there is quite a bit to see at the track. Do they allow you to watch morning workouts? We were hoping to go early on Friday morning and watch some workouts and than take in the "history" of the track. I am hoping they have a party for Zenyatta again this year. It would be a lot of fun to meet people that have been following her for so long. There is not too much live horse left in the state of Nebraska. I have to travel a ways in order to enjoy.
  • I don't think the track will be open for workouts on Friday of Breeders' Cup week -- gates open early to accommodate the crowds and early post time. If you can make it out a day early, Thursday would be a good day to hit Clocker's Corner for workouts and take a tour of the track. Both BC days will be super crowded.

As for seating, Santa Anita does not set up temporary bleachers like some of the other tracks. All of the seats sold will be in the grandstand or clubhouse and all have good views of the finish line. Even if you go general admission, you can get good views from the apron. Personally, I prefer the grandstand to the clubhouse because you can see the stretch drive better -- all the seats in the clubhouse are past the finish line.

I've been going to Santa Anita for 30 years and have been to all but the 1986 BC there, so if you have any questions, just ask!
  • Santa Anita is just beautiful. And on the days, the mountains are clear, spectacular. so much do so and see even beyond the track. I did not realize the tickets were available as yet for Breeder's Cup. I signed on to their e mail notification via the Breeder's Cup Website. I'm unclear. Looking forward to see it in person and meet some Dumplings..... Del Mar is pretty too and I live closer, but I do love Santa Anita. Lots of history, nostalgia and seating is really nice. I've spent the extra money but I really like Clubhouse, because I jump around so much. Go down to saddling area, the walking ring. It's all just a great experience.
  • caseycasey any racetrack with camera in handMember
    I am hoping to attend the Breeder's Cup this November at Santa Anita. I have never been to this track before and was wondering what sections of the track is the best to sit at with a view of the finish line? I went to the Breeder's Cup at Churchill Downs and my seats were on the turn and it was really hard to see so I am hoping to avoid that this time.
    Be sure to bring your camera. You can get great shots of the races, especially the finish line at Santa Anita. Of the 3 main tracks in So Cal, Santa Anita is friendlies to photographers who don't have the credentials to actually be on the track :)

• In 09 I sat in the Clubhouse, just past the finish line, and it was a wonderful experience. For my money, Santa Anita is the most beautiful track in the country, particularly on clear days when it seems you can almost reach out and touch those gorgeous San Gabriel Mountains. If you are into art deco architecture, so much the better. It's my "home" track, so yeah, I'm bragging a little. :)
  • Thank you all very much for your help! I believe tickets go on sale in May so at least I am a little more educated making my choice. I am so looking forward to seeing Santa Anita. It is on my bucket list for places to visit. I have been to Keeneland Race Track in Lexington, KY a few times and right now it is the most beautiful track I have ever visited. I was hoping to go to Saratoga one year, but lodging during the races is out of this world so I don't know if I will ever make it there. Happy Thursday!
  • have fun there
  • I agree, Santa Anita IS the most beautiful racetrack. I loved working there years ago.
  • JAGakaJudyGJAGakaJudyG Member
    edited March 2012
    As for seating, Santa Anita does not set up temporary bleachers like some of the other tracks. All of the seats sold will be in the grandstand or clubhouse and all have good views of the finish line. Even if you go general admission, you can get good views from the apron.
  • In 2008 and 2009 they did install temporary bleachers :-)
  • The 2008 and 2009 Breeders' Cups I didn't have a whole lot of money so I didn't buy reservered seats, but chose to roam around the apron level and infield. If you don't have a reserved seat, then the apron level is the only area you are permitted. But that's a vast area, including the paddock and infield. I watched Zenyatta win the 2009 Classic standing right by the finish line all for the $10 admission charge as you are free to go where ever you like.
  • @jduvall - Like it says 2 posts up, SA does install temporary bleachers. I don't think they extend all the way down to trackside, but they do take up a good chunk of the apron area.
  • I meant that they don't put temporary bleachers up on the turns. They do put some temporary seating on the apron area, but those seats have the same view as the other grandstand seats. No bad sightlines at Santa Anita! :)