Breeding Zenyatta to Flat Out

BodhranBodhran Member
edited November 2013 in Thoroughbred Breeding
Hello all, I thought that I would make my debut on this forum worthwhile with an assessment of breeding Zenyatta to Flat Out. From what I hear, Flat Out may not race another season and I think he is a perfect choice for Zenyatta.
Flat Out raced for 6 seasons, winning from 6f to 10f on dirt in the East Coast's most prestigious race, the Jockey Club Gold Cup. He ran 28 times, was on the derby trail, and was the favorite for the 2011 Breeder's Cup Classic. He is a very sound horse who is like a flashback from the old handicap winners. Flat Out also isn't very big, making him a logical choice for Queen Z. While Flat Out wasn't a precocious horse, he did race and win at two and three. Flat Out also contains the three modern foundation sires, Seattle Slew, Mr. Prospector and Northern Dancer, but he carries them all in dilution. TrueNicks ranks a cross between Flatter, the sire of Flat Out and Zenyatta an "A", with a variant of 2.68. That mating ranks .02 points higher on TrueNicks than Z12 and 1.42 points higher than Z13.

A Flat Out x Zenyatta colt would have a dosage profile of 6-2-10-0-0 with an index of 2.60 and a center of distribution of 0.45. This is not the most distance oriented pedigree ever, but it does have a solid mix of support from Brilliant as well as a good Classic foundation.

How does this dosage stack up against the dosages of Z12, Z13 and Z14?

Z12 has a dosage index of 2.38 and a profile of 3-6-13-0-0.
Z13 has a dosage index of 2.38 and a profile of 5-5-11-1-0.
Z14 has a dosage index of 2.14 and a profile of 3-5-14-0-0.

What do you think?

Comments

• Well, he certainly is a good looking horse. Be curious what the regulars think.
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    Always liked him.....no give up in his make up
  • I like the choice and I do think he's good enough for the queen!
  • A rather obscure pedigree, I must say.
  • A rather obscure pedigree, I must say.
    You might say that at first, but look a little deeper and you will see all the key horses are there. From the sire line of Seattle Slew, and his damsire is by Northern Dancer... Of course Flat Out might suit Northern Dancer line mares better in breeding back to that, but that does not mean he is not an enticing choice for the Z girl.
  • What about Sato? I know, crazy right... But I think that would be cool, think about it ..pinto zenyatta, and the foal would still be able to race.
  • That breeding would never happen lol
  • Sato isnt a racehorse even tho hes a registered thoroughbred. Hes a sire for show horses, not racers
  • Sato isnt a racehorse even tho hes a registered thoroughbred. Hes a sire for show horses, not racers
    Technically his foals can still race as long as their mother is a registered TB, but I do agree he is a show horse sire and not a racing sire.

• EriNCEriNC Member
    What about I Was Framed? He is a pinto thoroughbred, and he has foals racing (Silvery Moon)