Concerns about community and this site

Roberta42Roberta42 Member
edited November 2013 in Community & Creativity
I hope this isn't misunderstood, but I have concerns for this site if some things continue. This site was established because of our love for Zenyatta, and the need to continue to have her in our lives. It also brought fans into all parts of the racing industry, racing, breeding, retirement, and retraining, and eventually all horse issues. These are things that Zenyatta, her extended family, and Lane's End hold close to their hearts, and why we love them. They spend much of their time and money to keep this site going, answer our questions, and continue to do good work. This is a very loving site, and I love the people on it, but I'm afraid some things have gotten out of hand. I, many times, have come to the site to find out information that I use to readily find; concerning Zenyatta, uplifting stories concerning horses, or situations that we could get involved in by only lending our voice, to help unfortunate suffering horses. Now, many times I give up, because there is so much personal chatter amongst a few, it is like it has become their own personal site. I love that these people have so much compassion for each other, but maybe they can start a discussion group for their personal conversation, because all the wonderful horse information is getting lost. There are also other parts of facebook, twitter and the like for this conversation. I, and I think others, want to keep this site for what it was intended, and to be able to ask questions of the experts, find out information concerning all aspects of horses, keep Zenyatta and her family in our lives, and become informed about ways we can help these beautiful animals, just by lending our voice. I don't want to become so discouraged because, unless there are new videos or pictures, I can't find any of the information or stories there use to be. The bottom line, I'm afraid the site will be closed down, because why should the people involved continue putting their time and money into a personal website, with all the reasons they started it being lost one by one! Please understand where I'm coming from, I love the compassion of you all, but I want the website back like it use to be, and am afraid to death that if this continues like this, that we all will lose it!!!

Comments

• carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    hi Roberta.....I think that the forum side of the site was designed specificly for the purpose of allowing visitors to interact with each other about "whatever" is on their minds.....that way if you are not interested....don't open that thread of conversation...
    the blog side is for Z and all things Z .....it wanders a bit too....but generally this is how it sorts out...I know there are other sites but this one is the best.....
  • The Forum side is where I have learned just about everything I ever had a question about. Lots of smarts here, great videos, interesting facts, etc.
  • I seriously doubt all these discussions are bothering the creators of this site. It was created to talk about all things horse racing and zenyatta as well if you wish, thats why there is an option to create your own threads. But its COMPLETELY UP TO YOU WETHER OR NOT YOU CHOOSE TO READ A THREAD/DISCUSSION.
  • The spam has got to go though lol
  • Oh yeah, that spam stuff has to go; must say that I've not seen any in the past few days, maybe week? Nice! Thanks to whoever got the task of watching for it and killing it before it spreads.
  • hi Roberta.....I think that the forum side of the site was designed specificly for the purpose of allowing visitors to interact with each other about "whatever" is on their minds.....that way if you are not interested....don't open that thread of conversation...
    the blog side is for Z and all things Z .....it wanders a bit too....but generally this is how it sorts out...I know there are other sites but this one is the best.....
    AMEN to that. Thanks Carolinarkansas and rachel, too.

• Yes Carol and Rachel, Thank you both. I also remember Kylea specifically saying ALL are welcome here to discuss. As long as we stay kind to each other, I think it is fine and it is fairly easy to avoid a thread if you want to, though I will admit that I stray occasionally. However, it's okay with me if someone reminds me that I have strayed. lol
  • I've been on this site basically since its inception, and people have been posting personal stuff for the whole time. Our gracious hosts haven't objected thus far (except for booting nasty posts/posters), so I doubt it will be a problem going forward.
  • Kind of ironic that this is a personal topic, posted about people posting personal topics.... Just saying.....
  • Zenyatta was all about inclusion so I don't think Team Z has a problem with discussions or conversations that don't always involve her. I agree the forum is an excellent place to get all kinds of horse related news. In case anyone is wondering, our Zenny has over 150,000 FB pals and that number has been growing be leaps and bounds.
  • I cannot even begin to tell everyone here how much I appreciate this forum. I have learned things about horses I never knew. I mean I was pretty dumb only I didn't realize it. Ignorance is bliss sometimes. But seriously I have learned so much from everyone here and not just about horses. I've learned a little bit about betting, not enough, and many other things. I've met so many people that I truly feel like I know and who I care about. So thanks everyone for sharing your knowledge here and thanks Team Zenyatta for allowing us to be here and sharing beautiful Zenyatta and her babies with us!
  • Miss Z has brought racing into another light. No other owners/horse's has ever let us into there world until Z. Now, trainers like Doug O'Neil provides us an inside look. This sport is struggling as is. To say this site isn't the same is untrue. Actually, I think it's better. I haven't interacted with so many knowledgeable people in a long time. We the fans were behind Z from the beginning and many have made bets on her. Without fans their would be no racing!
  • Amen Nayrod!
  • I agree with you all, that was what I was saying, that the forum is the place for the more personal conversations. I'm talking about the main part, where the news and current stuff is; sometimes the only thing you can find are personal conversations, and I miss some of the important things we use to talk about, concerning horses. I wrote it in the community, because I felt it was a community issue. I hope you understand.
  • I understand exactly now, Roberta42. I thought you were talking about the forum. I love the people on the main side, but there are a lot more personal conversations than there used to be which is why I stay on the forum more. I just enjoy finding threads that I am interested in to talk about and sometimes I feel like I'm intruding on the other side. I do go there to read new news, though.
  • I understand exactly now, Roberta42. I thought you were talking about the forum. I love the people on the main side, but there are a lot more personal conversations than there used to be which is why I stay on the forum more. I just enjoy finding threads that I am interested in to talk about and sometimes I feel like I'm intruding on the other side. I do go there to read new news, though.
    Roberta42...I get it now too. I wasn't going to comment on this discussion because most of what I was thinking was said by others, but now with this clarification, I'll mention this...I have all but left the Blog side...don't get me wrong, the folks who mostly comment over there are wonderful, but like Louise, most of the time I find the Forum much more interesting and current.
  • I only check out the blog side for the recent pictures; etc. No comments, I feel like I would be intruding.
  • Thank-you for all those who replied to my clarification; I guess I don't make myself clear sometimes. I love this site, and have been on it since the diary days. I love he compassionate people on it. I'm just so afraid that as there is less and less of the conversation there use to be on the main Blog, that more and more people who want to talk about horses won't turn to it, and as it becomes a more personal site, why would the connections want to put the time and money into it. I would feel so terrible if we lost it. There have been times lately when I have made comments, and invited conversation about something to do with horses or Zenyatta, and gone back a day or two later, with no reply. What I find all the time are personal talk back and forth; I would have to be on the computer all the time to catch-up with what their talking about. I don't want to lose this amazing site!!!
  • It is your choice wether to comment or lurk, i personally only go to the blog side to reread old blogs, look at the pics on there, or when there is new blogs lol.
  • Roberta42, I used to post there fairly often, but I found if I missed a day or two, I was totally lost and it took forever to try to catch up. But, I think they are all kind and good people and nobody means to ignore you, it just happens sometimes. I hope you will post more here on the forum side and if someone doesn't respond, just keep asking until someone does. Lol! Sometimes I get carried away on one discussion and forget to check others, but it's not on purpose. Everyone is welcome!
  • I AM THE LONE BETTOR, I wear a thin black mask.

I feel Zenyatta's connections set the example of how this sport should be run.

THE HORSE COMES FIRST.\

Roberta, you left out an important ingredient: The bettors.

But go to a racetrack on a Wednesday and you'll see a bunch of old men yelling and cussing at TV screens. We are a cynical bunch, almost all of us have lost money in the game.

I think our voice should be heard and I try to educate others on this site how important the betting is. Betting fuels purses. Enough said.
  • Ha Ha Markinsac! I'm sure you aren't the lone bettor. Thanks for teaching us, though, because I am clueless about betting. I think your voice should be heard too. I agree that Zenyatta's connections set the best example. If only there were more of them!
    We are a diverse bunch .....soooooon the horses will be back at Oaklawn....oh boy...oh boy...oh boy...
  • Oaklawn is the late winter delight, Any opinions on why they STILL don't have a turf course?
    Lots of different opinions on that....folks have bought up neighbirhoods around it ....just hoping to sell to Oaklawn at a profit ....my hubby who knows nothing about horses just looked at a bunch early this yr....said....I like the red one with the white face.....Will Take Charge