Good Books?

123457»

Comments

• I wonder when Sonia got to Vermont and where there she lived. My father would have enjoyed knowing her. He lived in Vermont as an artist after he retired. He came to the US at age 8 after WWI, from Cologne, Germany.

I'll have to check the library here for the book. Also in the area, we have two University Libraries I'm eligible to use. Thanks for the tip.
  • Three-quarters through a paperback I bought for 25 cents at a thrift store in town. It had me hooked by the end of the first chapter. It seems to be a series with the same main character (McKenzie) - A Hard Ticket Home by David Housewright. Starting the hunt for his other books in the series so I can start from the beginning..... :-) I love a line in the book - "Music washes away the dust of everyday life.
  • KMMKMM Member
    edited April 2016
    Roundhouse by Louise Erdich( sp.). Wonderful novel depicting troubles about rape and litigation on American Indian reservations. K
  • "Hubs" left this book on the shelf with a Post-It note "Good Author." Well, it is certainly the book for the present time. "Dark Horse" by Fletcher Knebel, written in 1972. In the intro it says, "Three weeks before election day a presidential candidate dies....In a hastily called party conclave, Eddie Quinn, is named to take his place. Eddie, an obscure highway official from New Jersey, whose chief pleasures are cars, bowling, and women - a man who will lose the election gracefully. But Eddie has other ideas...

It really is a good read! ;)
  • KMMKMM Member
    There is supposed to be a good book, fiction, out there, the Sport of Kings, published this year, and of course about horseracing. I will buy it tomorrow on Amazon and let you guys know my opinion.:)
  • I figured this was as good a thread as any to share the news, since the story was originally in book form.(actually three were written) The Eighty-Dollar Champion: Snowman, The Horse That Inspired a Nation, and The Story of Snowman, the Cinderella Horse, and Snowman: The True Story of a Champion I read the first one, and just saw that the movie "Harry and Snowman" was released in theaters beginning yesterday;

"FilmRise presents the incredible true story behind showjumping legend Harry deLeyer and his horse Snowman in the inspirational, award-winning film HARRY & SNOWMAN. The film opens in U.S. theaters on Friday, Sept. 30 and will continue to rollout across the country through the fall."
  • Ohhh! Next trip to Barnes & Noble. I still have Sport of Kings to read from my last trip.
  • KMMKMM Member
    I have it next to me in hardcover. Thick book. Will let you know. K
  • Just finished, what I think, is a very, very good book. "The Gods of Guilt" (A Lincoln Lawyer novel) by Michael Connelly. :3
  • DanceTheTideDanceTheTide Member
    edited March 2017
    oriflamme said:

Back to horse books: try Dosha: Flight of the Russian Gypsies. An adult horse book, but NOT in the crude meaning of "adult"! A better summary than I could do:

In 1956 Khrushchev s Thaw triggers the Hungarian Revolution and upheaval in the Soviet Empire. During Khrushchev s first state visit to Helsinki, Dosha, star rider of the Soviet Dressage Team and her horse defect with the help of local Gypsies. The novel follows the life of Dosha, a Gypsy in disguise. It offers unique insight into the tribal life of nomadic Gypsies, who under Stalin joined partisans fighting Nazi invaders, only to face entrapment during Khrushchev s Thaw. By then Dosha and her talented circus horse have been drafted into the dressage team in Leningrad. Navigating political intrigue, narrowly escaping discovery by the KGB, she enters a love forbidden to Gypsy women. One goal remains uppermost in her mind leading her tribe and her horse to freedom in the West.

Author Sonia Meyer fled the Nazis with her parents when she was 2 years old to live in the woods of Germany and Poland with partisans and Gypsies. There her father taught her to throw hand grenades using a wooden darning egg. They lived in the woods, in abandoned houses, in fields, in isolated excursion inns and barns, always dodging the German and later Soviet armies who hunted them relentlessly. Shortly after the war Sonia and her family returned to Cologne Germany where she foraged for food with a band of Gypsy children camped nearby.
    Later Sonia was welcomed into a Gypsy encampment in southern France, when she broke the ice by quietly whispering a few words in Romani to horses grazing nearby. She lives in Vermont where she raised horses before retiring to write Dosha.

I purchased Dosha this past week and am really enjoying it although it did start out a bit slow. It's obvious that the author knows Dressage. Thanks for the recommendation @oriflamme.
  • KetaKeta Member
    Our Favorite Horse Racing Books
    August 9th, 2017
    Today is Book Lovers Day, and Team ABR has taken the opportunity to share some of their go-to horse racing books; contributors Penelope Miller, Mike Curry, and Melissa Bauer-Herzog each listed some of their favorites below. From betting guides to children’s books, histories to mysteries, horse racing is rich fodder for the literary set.
    There are so many wonderful tomes out there dedicated to the sport of kings, and we know we can’t list them all! That’s why we want to hear about your favorite racing book in the comments.
    https://www.americasbestracing.net/lifestyle/2017-our-favorite-horse-racing-book
  • Barbara Livingston's Old Friends and More Old Friends. Be sure to read with a box of tissues nearby.
  • Thank you @Keta and @shirlee for the recommendations. I really enjoy finding new books to read.
    I recently read The Horse Dancer by Jojo Moyes. Overall a good book about a young girl and for me clearly shows how motivating the bond with your horse can be. It"s about a lot more than that as well. I think most would enjoy this book.
  • KetaKeta Member
    A fun and informative read Keta
    The Cajun Jockey Connection is Alive and Well at Del Mar
    HorseRacingNation.com August 11, 2017
    Cajun: An ethnic group mainly living in southwest Louisiana consisting of the descendants of Acadian exiles (French-speakers from what now is Nova Scotia) who have exerted an enormous impact on the state’s music, food and culture – Wikipedia

Anyone who follows U.S. racing knows about the Cajuns and their imprint on the game. The horsemen who have come out of the bayou and swamp areas centering on Lafayette, Louisiana have dominated racing in that state and rippled out to touch racing locales all around the country.
    http://www.horseracingnation.com/news/The_Cajun_Jockey_Connection_is_Alive_and_Well_at_Del_Mar_123#
    From article
    For those so inclined, days in “the bushes” and fine tales of Cajun racing are well told in the 2008 book “Cajun Racing: From the Bush Tracks to the Triple Crown” by New York-based turf writer Ed McNamara. It’s a good read with a fine feel for a special place and its special people for anyone wanting to learn more about a most colorful and unique subject.
  • New Release
    Missionville (Paperback – September 22, 2017)
    by Alex Brown (Author)
    Reader review
    5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent Horse Racing Literary Ride
    By Kristen Halversonon September 25, 2017
    Format: Kindle Edition|Verified Purchase
    Magnificent Horse Racing Read! This is a thrilling equine literary ride!
    You will want to read over and over! I could not put it down.
    Brown illustrates a clear view into the backside culture of the racing life through his extraordinary and descriptive narrative! You feel like you know the characters by the end of the book. I really enjoyed how Brown created a wonderful protagonist in this story. It teaches us all that we should always strive to do the right thing!
    Fabulous work, Mr. Brown!