Life Is Sweet

Comments

• That is such a cool picture, even if you don't know who they are. Hoping for happy lives for them all.
  • Life is Sweet Sleeping
    Uploaded on Jul 13, 2009

John Shirreffs patiently wakes a very sleepy Life is Sweet.
  • LIS is saying, "maybe if I ignore him, he'll go away"
  • caseycasey any racetrack with camera in handMember
    @kurt-
    absolutely they have memories. They have very LONG memories for both good and bad things. My draft horse, was retired from his former "job" to me at the age of 18 in 2001. I hadn't worked with him since 1993. When he first came, he was a little aloof at first. Day two, he started lipping my belt loop and pulling it, a trick he did years before. A couple days later, he gave me a "head hug", pulling me into his chest with his head and holding me. This was also something he ONLY did with me. On the bad side, a horse that is one of our client's, had a bad experience with a different vet and needles, years ago. To this day, even with his owner desensitizing him and working with him, he's still a pain....
  • Casey said-- " ...he gave me a "head hug", pulling me into his chest with his head and holding me." How sweet and special!
  • Yes, horses have EXTREMELY long memories.... Especially of bad experiences.

I once knew a horse named Joy..... I called her "Joy, the not-so-joyful" because she HATED man and everything to do with man. When you would go in her stall.... She would turn her rear towards you and try to kick. Or she would whip around and try to bite you. And every time you walked past her stall; she would pin her ears back and walk to the VERY back of the stall. She held a bitter resentment for the world and let every human being know it..... You could not get a more bitter horse than her.
    But the thing is... She was absolutely TERRIFIED. I don't know what happened to her.... All I know was some time in her past she was abused, so much so that all love and trust she had with human beings was completely lost for the rest of her bitter life. She was a BRILLIANT horse to ride -- if you could put her in a halter, and tack her up first -- but her ground manners were dangerous (I don't even know why she was a lesson horse!) and I was so FRUSTRATED that I hadn't the skill or time to work with her. Because she was beautiful.... She looked like a starlight-dappled mare had walked straight out of a fairytale, with waving waterfalls of mane and tail pouring down her neck and legs. It is so tragic that such a beautiful horse had so much fear for humans that she wouldn't let any human close enough to help.
  • Rachel posted this picture on another forum. Zenny and Life is Sweet have been reunited.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/1235022_661731917191228_1095563010_n.jpg
    I love this photo. Notice who the young one is looking at...it seems as if Zenny does mother every foal she comes in contact with. It makes me smile that LIS and our Queen are now paddock buddies and I'm sure John and Mario would approve.

• KetaKeta Member
    edited October 2014
    Catching Up With Life Is Sweet
    Melissa Bauer-Herzog ABR October 23, 2014
    As a full-sister to 2004 champion 2-year-old filly and Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Fillies winner Sweet Catomine, Life Is Sweet was full of promise and carried high expectations.
    - See more at: http://www.americasbestracing.net/en/the-latest/blogs/2014/10/23/catching-up-with-life-is-sweet#sthash.3ioMyLpc.xUTiJUfS.dpuf
    From article:
    “Each horse as you get to know them, you discover more about them,” Shirreffs said. “You always had to wait for her. She was never in a hurry to do anything, you just had to be patient and wait for her to want to do it.”

Boarded at Lane’s End, Life Is Sweet was reunited with an old stablemate at the end of 2010 when Zenyatta also retired to the farm. The pair have spent time sharing a pasture at one of the farm’s broodmare divisions and foaled within an hour of each other in 2014.
  • edited October 2014
    Edit!
  • I saw this post on the Topics list with the yellow notice and got all excited thinking it would be news of LIS. Sigh. Just questions which we'd all like to have answers to.
  • I do remember that LIS and Zeny foaled within an hour of each other this year. While Zeny got a year off it's interesting how LIS has been bred every year and again in 2014 for a 2015 Tapit foal. LIS's broodmare career even started a year earlier. I wonder if she'll get a breather after her 2015 foal is born.
  • Where did you learn that she will have a 2015 Tapit foal? I hope we can learn of it when the foal arrives. It's something to look forward to.
  • Where did you learn that she will have a 2015 Tapit foal? I hope we can learn of it when the foal arrives. It's something to look forward to.
    Life Is Sweet produced her first foal in 2011, a colt by Smart Strike. She also has a 2-year-old filly named Sweet Promises, by Bernardini, who has yet to register any official workouts. Both her yearling and weanling have more in common than being by Tapit as they were both born exactly a year apart on April 19. Life Is Sweet is again in foal to Tapit for a 2015 foal. - See more at: http://www.americasbestracing.net/en/the-latest/blogs/2014/10/23/catching-up-with-life-is-sweet#sthash.3ioMyLpc.wzvGOLrN.dpuf
  • I saw this post on the Topics list with the yellow notice and got all excited thinking it would be news of LIS. Sigh. Just questions which we'd all like to have answers to.
    I do hope you read the article. It was a recap of her racing career with video and her life as a broodmare.
    One of the best I have read on Life is Sweet in quite some time.
    Hugs, Keta
  • Thanks for these, Keta. Really glad to learn more of one of my favorite girls. I've seen this race several times before and love it. She was amazing the way she just blew them all away.

Interesting that she is expecting her third Tapit foal. The breeders must really like the way they mesh pedigrees, and I guess the foals are good as well when they're on the ground and not just imagined from matching pedigrees.

I'm going to check out the magazine when I have more time and read the articles for "beginners." I'm a beginner with no quotation marks. lol

Now I'm wondering how Careless Jewel is. I remember she had complications this past spring after foaling, I think. I'll see what I can find.

Hugs back to you, VA
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    Z must have a new paddock pal/pals.....since LIS is in foal and Z is not
  • Aww that's sad. I was hoping that Zenyatta and LiS were finally reunited to be retired friends for their broodmare careers. Now they're going to be out of sync at least for a few years.
  • Thats the way Lanes End does things. Zenny is with mares who were not bred this year and once she is pregnant again she will be moved in with mares who were bred in 2015 and will then be moved in with mares who foaled around the same time so that their foals can grow up together.
  • She may eventually be reunited with LIS once they get back in sync
  • Hopefully they will!
  • The focus of this article is Zenyatta.
    But, an important part of the story is the races with Life is Sweet!

Long Live The Queen
    Tracy Gantz The Blood-Horse October 27, 2014
    This is the story of a racehorse, but not just any racehorse. It is the tale of an improbable winning streak, a remarkable campaign, and a brilliant runner who carried the hopes of the masses along with her devoted rider whenever she ran. For those who watched Zenyatta through her phenomenal stretch of 19 victories and a gallant nose loss to Blame in the Breeders’ Cup Classic (gr. I) of 2010, the big ebony-hued mare was an inspiration and an icon.
    http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/features/long-live-the-queen-650
  • edited October 2014
    It is a little sad that LIS and Z will be separated. However, Zenyatta has been through separations from her girlfriends before and dealt with it. According to the Mosses, she likes other horses. She seems to be able to make friends easily. She is probably content with her new herd.
  • Lifeline (KY)
    TB, GR/RO, C, foaled April 19, 2014
    ( Tapit - Life Is Sweet, by Storm Cat )
    CONNECTIONS AS OF LAST START:
    Jockey: Flavien Prat
    Trainer: Richard E. Mandella
    Owner: Wygod, Pam and Martin
    Breeder: Pam & Martin Wygod
    Track Date Race Race Type Finish
    Santa Anita 2/20/2017 6 MSW 3
    Source: Equibase
  • Lady Pamela looks to parlay regal pedigree into solid career
    by Brad Free TCI 02/22/2017
    Days after a strong third-place debut by full sibling Lifeline in a maiden race for 3-year-olds, lightly raced Lady Pamela resumes her class ascent Friday at Santa Anita. The 4-year-old Lady Pamela seeks her second career victory going 1 1/4 miles on turf in a first-level optional $40,000 claimer for fillies and mares.
    http://www.onefasthorse.com/lady-pamela-looks-to-parlay-regal-pedigree-into-solid-career/270569/