HONOR CODE

Comments

• thats what winter racing is like at Aqueduct lol
  • thats what winter racing is like at Aqueduct lol
    Had no idea, but I understand; makes me grateful for the mostly great weather racing days in So Cal.
  • when you really love horse racing and you really get into seeing the horses run and being in the moment, everything becomes oblivious you. the cold and the fact its winter outside lol your just there living the moment hearing the horses gallop past you with dirt flying behind them (or turf. atleast thats how i was when i saw Game On Dude run in april in the Charlestown Classic. but that was april, i cant imagine what its like in NY this time of year xD
  • You know, with all the ugliness and dishonesty in the racing world right now, along comes an honest trainer with a horse named HONOR Code. How timely. Please Lord, keep him safe and healthy.
  • For Honor Code....praying for speedy and good recovery from upcoming surgery. FYI... for show dogs, no 'ridglings' can be shown (they aren't called that) and neither can any animal who has undergone appearance altering surgery.
  • VA_in_CAVA_in_CA Member
    edited December 2013
    Maybe the "crowd" was at home in warm houses. I think it's too cold for sitting to watch sporting events in SoCal in the late fall. I can't imagine doing it in New York! I know, I'm a wuss.
  • Unfortunately, this happens at Belmont too. I think only the die-hards are there till the end. Belmont is much more fan friendly compared to Aqueduct though. As I've mentioned before, I spend my time outside all the time, going from the paddock to the winner's circle or to the rail to watch the races. Perhaps it's a New York thing. Just like going to ballgames in later innings is a California thing. I can understand though if it's cold like it has been here in the Northeast that people would prefer to be where it's warm, but that's been my observation for the last seven years of going to the tracks in New York. Usually at Saratoga, they hang around - but that's the place to be in late summer.
  • Well, atleast theres people still hanging around there and lots of people saw the race on tv as well.
  • 'Prince' leads Holy Bull cast
    By Claire Novak | Bloodhorse Updated: January 23, 2014, 5:27 PM ET
    The last time racing fans saw Grade 2 winner Cairo Prince, he was ding-donging down the stretch with highly regarded Honor Code in a thrilling edition of the Nov. 30 Remsen Stakes at Aqueduct Racetrack.
    The Kiaran McLaughlin trainee lost that 1 1/8-mile test by a brutal nose in the final jump, but comes back Jan. 25 in the $400,000 Miller Lite Holy Bull Stakes at Gulfstream Park minus his Shug McGaughey-trained foe to contend with -- plus a lesson learned by rider Luis Saez.
    McLaughlin attributed the tough Remsen loss to a six-pound weight advantage in Honor Code's favor and a rider error by Saez, who nevertheless retained the mount.
    "He knows he made a mistake, but everyone makes mistakes," said McLaughlin, who was critical of Saez for falling into the trap of an extremely slow early pace and allowing Honor Code to rally inside of him. "He knows the horse and he knows not to make the same mistakes."
    Breaking from Post 7 under high weight of 122 pounds, this Pioneerof the Nile colt heads a stout field of 11 sophomore contenders in his first start since the Remsen for the 1 1/16-mile Holy Bull that drew the likes of undefeated Coup de Grace, Pat Byrne trainee Almost Famous, and another runner from the McGaughey barn, Phipps Stable homebred Mr Speaker.
    http://espn.go.com/horse-racing/story/_/id/10334371/cairo-prince-leads-solid-cast-holy-bull
  • Honor Code will miss the Fountain of Youth after experiencing a "minor setback," and could possible be pointed towards the Gotham on March 1st.
  • Gah!
  • Honor Code "bruised his back ankles" a bit per Shug via DRF tweet.
  • It was interesting to see comments on winter racing in NY. A man named Max Watman wrote a book called Race Day - A Spot on the Rail. In it he talks about Aqueduct - the Big A in NY. I thought some would get a real feel for winter racing in NY if he was quoted:

"It's hard to see winter racing at Aqueduct as the sport of kings." 'The bitter wind is constant, and the racing is often canceled because of blizzards or cold." In a New Yorker magazine feature on winter racing at the Big A, jockey C.C. Lopez lamented, "It's unbeliveable. You're out there in nothing but a leotard and a T-shirt. Your hands freeze, your feet freeze, your face freezes". "The horse is going 40 miles an hour into a gale - - what's the wind-chill on that?"

The author goes on to say that he loves Aqueduct, and goes on to tell us why. If anyone gets a chance to get this book, I say go for it. It's wonderful.
  • Honor Code has returned to the worktab! 3 furlongs this morning in :35.66 at Gulfstream Park.
  • HC targeting Rebel Stakes at Oaklawn
  • Honor Code is #4 on this weeks Derby Dozen list: Honor Code Shug McGaughey

A.P. Indy—Serena’s Cat, by Storm Cat

Under the circumstances, things couldn’t be going any better. He worked 3 furlongs in :35 3/5 and also was caught a half in :47 3/5, galloping out a solid 5 furlongs. McGaughey won’t rush him into the Gotham (gr. III) and likely will wait a week for the Rebel (gr. II). Oaklawn hasn’t exactly been a common watering hole for McGaughey’s 3-year-olds, but timing is what’s important and a Rebel-Arkansas Derby (gr. I) double should have him ready for the first Saturday in May. With his strong foundation, he shouldn’t need more than that, especially if he can get a good stiff race in one of them. Because of his come-from-the clouds style in his first two races, that Remsen barn-burner was much needed to show his versatility and willingness to fight and come back from certain defeat.

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/kentucky-derby-dozen/archive/2014/02/18/derby-dozen-february-17-2014-presented-by-shadwell-farm.aspx#ixzz2thpvXrCZ
  • Honor Code
    TRAINER: C. McGaughey
    JOCKEY: J. Castellano
    LAST START: Remsen 1-nose
    NEXT START: Rebel 3/15
    COMMENT: Returned to work tab going an easy three furlongs.
    POOL 2 ODDS: 12-1

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more-sports/kentucky-derby-rankings-strong-mandate-lurking-behind-candy-boy-article-1.1617241#ixzz2thyQxC3n
  • Honor Code is one of two top Derby prospects for Shug this year: http://www.drf.com/news/kentucky-derby-mcgaughey-has-two-top-prospects-repeat-bid
  • Honor Code is #3 on this weeks Derby Dozen List: Honor Code Shug McGaughey

A.P. Indy—Serena’s Cat, by Storm Cat

Now that he appears to be back in a steady work pattern, breezing a half in :49 3/5 at Gulfstream, he once again is looking like a serious Derby horse, and with three more works scheduled before the Rebel (gr. II) he should be right back on schedule. He and Top Billing make for one dynamic Derby duo, and it’ll be interesting to see where Shug goes next with Top Billing. Will he follow the Orb route and stay in Florida or get the colt off that track? As for Honor Code, if there is a Triple Crown-type horse this year, it’s him, taking into consideration his regal pedigree, his ability to come from the clouds or track the pace if slow, and a classy 2-year-old campaign under him, racing against the likes of Havana and Cairo Prince. And he has the physical prowess, all prerequisites of a Triple Crown horse.

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/kentucky-derby-dozen/archive/2014/02/24/derby-dozen-february-24-2014-presented-by-shadwell-farm.aspx#ixzz2uHJFS3uJ