HONOR CODE

Comments

• Not to take anything away from Social Inclusion but let's face it, even mediocre horses are breaking or coming close to breaking track records at Gulfstream this meet. It is a speed favoring track.
    At first I was very disappointed in Honor Code too. Then I thought about it. Shug wanted an easy race for his first start since Nov. Common since says he was going to need a race. Then when Javier saw SI had got away on the front, he didn't go all out on HC to get him to catch SI, he let him learn from it. I think Shug got what he wanted from the race for HC, as long as HC keeps improving out of this race, I don't think it was a big deal. Nobody wants their Derby horse to use everything in allowance race.
  • Honor Code finishing second
  • Not to take anything away from Social Inclusion but let's face it, even mediocre horses are breaking or coming close to breaking track records at Gulfstream this meet. It is a speed favoring track.
    At first I was very disappointed in Honor Code too. Then I thought about it. Shug wanted an easy race for his first start since Nov. Common since says he was going to need a race. Then when Javier saw SI had got away on the front, he didn't go all out on HC to get him to catch SI, he let him learn from it. I think Shug got what he wanted from the race for HC, as long as HC keeps improving out of this race, I don't think it was a big deal. Nobody wants their Derby horse to use everything in allowance race.
    I agree this is what Shug said about the race: “I knew how the race was going to set up. (Social Inclusion) had speed and he had two 35 (second works) since he ran, so I knew he would go…I’m disappointed he (Honor Code) didn’t win, but we got a race into him and I don’t think (jockey Javier Castellano) killed him by any means. We’ll see if he goes forward off of this. I think the horse that won is a very, very special horse,” trainer Shug McGaughey said after the race.
  • I agree with KayJay, this was not a race (or a track!) that lent itself to Honor Code's style at all. While it was disappointing for all HC fans to watch what seemed like a lackluster effort after such a long layoff, the important thing is that he finally has a 2014 race under his belt. Fingers crossed that he bounces back well and comes back looking like the competitor we know he can be...and that Shug sends him to the Wood and not the Florida Derby!!
  • i watched the replay, he didnt do bad at all. he was infront of the others by about 10 lengths. there was no catching the winner that horse was just too much and absolutely huge in size. he did great i think
  • honor code was 17 1/4 lengths ahead of the third place finisher. didnt look like it but thats pretty dang good i would say. the winner was 10 lengths ahead of him.
  • Kentucky Derby 2014 Prospects (Honor Code):
  • Honor Code – back in action. Finished a distant second in an allowance race on March 12. Was uncharastically lathered, difficult to handle and didn’t want to load into the gate. Trainer Shug McGaughey stated that the Florida Derby and Wood Memorial remain under consideration.
  • Lets keep in mind that Honor Code had a long layoff. He had the ridegeling surgery, which is not as simple as many might think and it is an invasive surgery then he had the issue with the bruised heels which was another set-back in his training. From looking at his pictures, it appears that right now he is in a growth spurt (his croup is up). Growth spurts can result in a horse, any horse, to be temporarily off balance and result in weight loss. Horses can also go through mental development stages such as the terrible twos or terrible threes, much like children.
    I love this colt and was disappointed by his loss and need to come to terms that he might not be ready for the Derby, but that does not mean that he cannot come back and win the Preakness or the Belmont or go on to a great career before he goes to the stud barn.
    I appreciate Shug and how he trains and have complete confidence that he has this colt's long term best interests at heart.

• he was 17 1/4 lengths infront of the 3rd place finisher...thats good in my opinion
  • Honor Code (14): Allowance race at Gulfstream Park on March 12.
  • Honor Code is #7 on this weeks Derby Dozen list: Honor Code Shug McGaughey

A.P. Indy—Serena’s Cat, by Storm Cat

Just as I had mixed feelings about him running in that allowance race, I have mixed feeling about his performance. Getting beat 10 lengths under the circumstances wasn’t a major step backwards, but was it enough to help get him ready for a peak effort on Derby Day? He now has only one race to get battle-tested and dead fit, something he couldn’t have been going into this race, considering he had only six works in 3 1/2 months, with three of them being at 3 furlongs, two at 4 furlongs, and one at 5 furlongs. And he missed some training after suffering a physical setback, delaying his originally scheduled 3-year-old debut. He most likely was fit and sharp enough to win under normal conditions, but Social Inclusion made sure there was nothing normal about that race, as he simply ran Honor Code off his feet in a spectacular record performance. The question now is, did Honor Code get enough out of this race, in which he got a bit warm and balked at the gate, to compete with some very fast horses in the Wood Memorial and put himself in a position to win the Derby? I would feel a lot better about his first race back if he had two more races before the Derby, but he doesn’t, so McGaughey will just have to make the best out of cards dealt him.

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/kentucky-derby-dozen/archive/2014/03/17/derby-dozen-march-17-2014-presented-by-shadwell-farm.aspx#ixzz2wG31JN9o
  • Honor Code came out of last week"s alw well, already back galloping, should work on weekend or early next week, pointing to Wood, per Shug

• Honor Code (A.P. Indy - Serena’s Cat, by Storm Cat) Shug McGaughey – We are all left to wonder if time is running short on the colt that looked like such a prime Derby horse last fall. The drubbing he received at the hands of Social Inclusion was a bit of a shock to the senses, but remember, it came with everything under the Florida sun against him. Therefore, I am more than willing to give him a pass on that effort, but a little more troubling to me, was the fact that his body language pre-race was not good. So, where does that leave the January 1 favorite for the Derby? Between a rock and a hard place, in my estimation. Shug will not only be pressing to get enough into him to be strong in the final quarter mile at Churchill Downs, but I am not so sure he has a horse that is really ready to want to do the work necessary. I respect everything we all liked last fall, but even with a good prep next time, I fear we may be looking at a short horse on the first Saturday in May.
  • KetaKeta Member
    Ray Paulick ‏tweet Sunday March 23, 2014
    .The NYRA just put out press release on HONOR CODE (A.P. Indy) being off #KyDerby trail with suspensory injury
  • KetaKeta Member
    Sid Fernando tweet Sunday March 23, 2014
    They'd been working on Honor Code's hind ankles this winter but it wasn't enough to stop a suspensory going w full training and racing.

• Anybody else smell a retirement announcement on the wind?
  • KetaKeta Member
    I wondered what that was!
    We will see
  • Idk about retirement.... But my hope of Honor Code being a Kentucky Derby hopeful, let alone a Triple Crown hopeful.... Is rapidly fading.
  • Are there any other AP Indy's in the Derby pipeline? I have always wanted Indy to get a Derby winner.
  • Todd Pletcher has Commissioner in the Sunland Derby today.
  • KetaKeta Member
    Are there any other AP Indy's in the Derby pipeline? I have always wanted Indy to get a Derby winner.
    Commissioner trained by Todd Pletcher
    A.P. Indy—Flaming Heart, by Touch Gold

• Ok, I wish him all the best, and safe trips to all of them.