Kentucky Oaks 2014

KetaKeta Member
edited November 2013 in Thoroughbred Racing & Sales
Kentucky Oaks Leaderboard
Updated: Saturday, Nov. 30, 2013
HOW TO GET INTO THE KENTUCKY OAKS STARTING GATE – The “Road to the Kentucky Oaks” is a 29-race series that awards points to the Top 4 finishers in each race.
The Top 14 point earners nominated to the Longines Kentucky Oaks will earn a spot in the starting gate for the
140th running of the Grade I, $1 million Longines Kentucky Oaks on Friday, May 2, 2014. The 1 1/8-mile Oaks is the nation’s premier race for 3-yearold fillies.
http://www.kentuckyderby.com/sites/kentuckyderby.com/files/u64720/20131130 Road to the Kentucky Oaks Point Standings.pdf

Comments

• Sweet Reason finished 2nd beaten by 1 1/4 lengths, on October 5, 2013,
    at BELMONT PARK in Race 9.

New York-Bred Artemis Agrotera Rules Frizette
    By Jack Shinar The Blood-Horse Updated: Saturday, October 5, 2013 6:58 PM
    Artemis Agrotera proved her smashing debut maiden win over New York-breds at Saratoga Race Course was no fluke when she captured the $500,000 Frizette Stakes
    (gr. I) for 2-year-old fillies Oct. 5 at Belmont Park (VIDEO).
    Chester and Mary Broman's homebred daughter of Roman Ruler out of the A.P. Indy mare Indy Glory was ridden to victory by Jose Lezcano for trainer Michael Hushion.
    Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/81121/new-york-bred-artemis-agrotera-rules-frizette#ixzz2gtyoglvv
  • Pletcher runs 1-2 as Stopchargingmaria beats Got Lucky in G2 Demoiselle (RACE VIDEO)
    By John Scheinman | NYRA 11/30/2013 04:39 PM ET
    Heading into the Grade 2, $400,000 Demoiselle this past week, trainer Todd Pletcher remarked how he was surprised Stopchargingmaria hadn't earned a higher speed figure for winning the Grade 3 Tempted on November 3 considering how powerful a performance it appeared to be.
    On Saturday, the 2-year-old Tale of the Cat filly backed up Pletcher's impression of her, holding off uncoupled stablemate Got Lucky by a neck to win the Demoiselle at Aqueduct Racetrack.
    Owned by Repole Stable and ridden by Javier Castellano, Stopchargingmaria ran the 1 1/8-mile dirt race in a time of 1:52.62. Got Lucky, a maiden making just her second start, ran gamely up the rail for second, a head in front of Penwith.
    Lexi Morgan, America and Mlle. Minuit completed the order of finish
    Got Lucky, who raced inside throughout, moved up on the turn and attacked in the lane. While Stopchargingmaria slowly assumed command, Penwith, racing between horses, drifted in slightly and Got Lucky hesitated.
    "Second time out, in tight; it was a little scary in there," said Got Lucky's rider Mike Smith, a Hall of Famer. "With a little improvement, I think she beats them."
    http://www.nyra.com/aqueduct/pletcher-runs-1-2-as-stopchargingmaria-beats-got-lucky-in-g2-demoiselle/
  • One word-------ROSALIND!!!
    Thanks for the info Keta I enjoyed it. You know how NUTS I am for Rosalind and why! :)
    Rosalind will ship back to Los Angeles to race in the Grade 1 Hollywood Starlet on December 7th. They are pointing her toward the Oaks. ;)
  • I wasn't sure where to share this, but felt it belonged here and maybe a couple other places.This is what my friend Ray (Knoxville's own) wrote about Landaluce and his reason for naming his stables Landaluce Educe (remembering, as in remembering Landaluce).

"This is a story about Dreams, Passion, Love and Time all intersecting at once on a given day in time.

As many of you who have been following the Stable's Facebook page know, Landaluce Educe is simply Latin for Landaluce Remembered.

When starting the stable in 2010, I needed a name for it and turned to the thoroughbred who helped inspire me and that I both loved and was able to follow and see at the track. Thus the name Landaluce Educe. It took 28 years from 1982 to 2010 to become involved in racing, but it finally did become reality. That was the Dream.

Landaluce became sick the week before the Hollywood Starlet in 1982, but I went anyway and watched the races that day. She never recovered from her illness and died on December 11, 1982. I was surprised how heartbroken I was by her death and especially for a horse I had never met. I would think about her and the races I saw her race all the time. She was given the eclipse award for 1982. That was the Love.

Her brief story is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landaluce

Following Landaluce's death, she was buried in the Hollywood Park infield in a memorial service. The video is below.

As many of you may also know, this is Hollywood Park's final race meet. It will be demolished next year. The Hollywood Starlet, which was scheduled to be Landaluce's last race of her 2yo campaign, is both the final graded stakes and grade 1 race for fillies to be run at Hollywood Park.

So Landaluce Remembered Stable will be running in the Final Filly Grade 1 at Hollywood Park where Landaluce has been laid to rest. Additionally, we will be racing Rosalind who is named for a feisty female character in Shakespeare's 'As You Like It.'

Why named 'Rosalind'? You have heard me discuss her personality, and because Rosalind's dam sire is Theatrical and her dam is Critics Acclaim and her sire is Broken Vow. If you are familiar with the play, all of those tie together. So the 'Hollywood Starlet' just seems logical for Rosalind to get her first Grade 1 win and become a rising star. This is the Passion.

If ever there was a race this Stable was destined to win, this is it. This is the Time.

I remember Landaluce all the time and I want race fans everywhere to remember her one last time before her track and grave are forever gone."

VIDEO: LANDALUCE TRIBUTE

GO ROSALIND GO!!!!!!!
  • Ashton
    Great history of stable. Thank you for sharing.
    Now all the naming puzzle pieces have been put together
    Hugs, Keta
  • What a lovely tribute to a wonderful horse who died way too soon. That's the thing with horses; when you fall in love with one, it's a lifetime thing. I have a thing for Alydar, and to a lesser degree, Cigar. They're easy to love.
  • What a sad story. Thanks for posting this. I'm learning a lot about the race horses of the past. I wasn't following horse racing then, so thanks for bringing all these videos to my attention. I see I missed a lot.
  • KetaKeta Member
    edited December 2013
    Ashton, wanted to be sure you saw this. Thanks QueenZFan20 for post. Keta
    McPeek Sends Out Rosalind in Starlet:
    Trainer Ken McPeek will try for a repeat in the $500,000-guaranteed Hollywood Starlet when he sends out Rosalind against seven opponents Saturday at Betfair Hollywood Park.

A Grade I for 2-year-old fillies, the Starlet is the sixth of nine races while the Bayakoa, a Grade II for older fillies and mares, will go as the eighth.Both races will be run at 1 1/16 miles over Cushion Track. Post time Saturday is 12:30 p.m. Track gates will open at 9:55 a.m. for simulcasts.
    http://www.horseracingnation.com/news/McPeek_Sends_Out_Rosalind_in_Starlet_123
  • KetaKeta Member
    edited December 2013
    Kentucky Oaks 2014: The First Top 10 (This is 1 through 5)
    Brian Zipse Zipse at the Track Dec. 3 2013
    1. Unbridled Forever (Unbridled’s Song - Lemons Forever, by Lemon Drop Kid) Dallas Stewart – A daughter of a Kentucky Oaks winner, Unbridled Forever has yet to run against anything but maidens, but if you saw her run on Saturday, you know her potential is large. After making a middle move in her debut, she flashed major talent in start two at Churchill Downs this past Saturday. Facing a large field of well intended maidens going seven furlongs, she moved smoothly from the outside, and always looked like a winner as she rolled to a 5 ¼ length victory over favored, Resistivity, who was way ahead of the rest. The time of 1:21.91 equalled how impressive she looked, and her speed figure for the win easily bettered the winners of the Golden Rod and Kentucky Jockey Club later in the day. The pedigree is there, and the talent is there. Look for her to be tough to beat in stakes races at Fair Grounds this winter and spring.

2. Bird Maker (Empire Maker - Bird Harbor by Boston Harbor) Ian Wilkes – Rating this one so high may seem like a bit of a stretch to some, but I really liked what I saw her in her recent second place finish in the Golden Rod. Made a lukewarm favorite after impressively breaking her maiden under the twin spires in her second start, she looked inexperienced and green, but she kept coming in the 1 1/16 mile, grade 2. Vexed got the jump on her, and was a deserving winner, but I look for this one to make great strides under the talented eye of trainer, Ian Wilkes. She has the rallying style that has won many editions of the Kentucky Oaks, has two good races over the Churchill Downs strip under her belt, and has the pedigree to both handle the distance, and to get better next year.

3. Sweet Reason (Street Sense - Livermore Leslie, by Mt. Livermore) Leah Gyarmati - She may have hung just a touch when a rallying fourth in the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Fillies, but it came on a track that likely is not her favorite. She has demonstrated a strong kick in each of her four starts, including a grade 1 win in the Spinaway, and a somewhat unlucky second in the prestigious Frizette. I believe the thought that she is only a slopper, has been put to rest, and now it may just be a matter if she can carry her explosive rally around two-turns on the first Friday in May. While she does have some sprint influence on her female side, as a daughter of Kentucky Derby winner, Street Sense, I think she will be just fine.

4. She’s A Tiger (Tale of the Cat - Shandra Smiles, by Cahill Road) Jeff Bonde – This is the one I believe has earned the Juvenile Fillies Eclipse Award. Taking after her talented older brother, Smiling Tiger, she has demonstrated talent and class since day one. After a big maiden win at Pleasenton, she moved right into important stakes racing both smoothly and tenaciously. Game wins in the Landaluce and Del Mar Debutante, and gritty second-place finishes in the Sorrento and Chandelier earned her a place atop the California two-year-old fillies going into the BC Juvenile Fillies. She may have been taken down in a controversial decision in that one, but her effort was enormous. Blazing through a 1:09.30 opening six furlongs, she dared the large field to come and get her, and when they did, she fought back bravely. It’s still five months out, but She’s A Tiger is a good bet to set the early Kentucky Oaks pace.

5. Rosalind (Broken Vow - Critics Acclaim, by Theatrical) Ken McPeek – Her rally may not have carried her to victory, since a debut win on the turf at Ellis Park, but it has gotten her right into the mix of three consecutive graded stakes, including a fast closing third-place finish in the BC Juvenile Fillies. While the two fillies on her outside received most of the attention after the race, Rosalind looked like she was going to get there in a few more jumps. She has already proven adept on any surface, and may have more distance breeding than any filly on this list. An expected start in the upcoming Hollywood Starlet, could see her not only repeat her trainer’s success in the late season test of last year with Pure Fun, but also result in her moving towards being a Kentucky Oaks winterbook favorite for many.
    http://www.horseracingnation.com/blogs/zatt/Kentucky_Oaks_2014_The_First_Top_10_123#

• KetaKeta Member
    edited December 2013
    Kentucky Oaks 2014: The First Top 10 (6 through 10)
    Brian Zipse Zipse at the Track Dec. 3 2013
    6. Got Lucky (A.P. Indy - Malka, by Deputy Minister) Todd Pletcher - This well bred miss from the talent rich Pletcher barn has only made two lifetime starts, but has quickly made an impression as a filly with a future. After breaking slowly in her career debut, she made up a lot of ground to finish second by a length to the good filly, Penwith. She met that same foe again in the Grade 2 Demoiselle, and was crowded by that one while rallying up the rail. She briefly stuck her nose in front after getting through, but was narrowly beaten to the wire by her more experienced stablemate, Stopchargingmaria.
    It would seem only experience stands in her way of becoming a good one.

7. Vexed (Arch - Cross, by Mighty) Al Stall Jr. – After finishing a well beaten third on the Polytrack of Arlington Park in her career debut, this filly came back to run three strong races at Churchill Downs. You already know that I like her second best of the Golden Rod fillies, but on the other hand, she also has the pedigree to develop with maturity. While I have not been overly impressed with any of her races to date, continued improvement certainly puts her in the mix. Looking to carry on the wonderful tradition of Claiborne Farm, I was high on her sister, Sign, this time last year, but that did not work out due to injuries. Maybe this one has the goods to pick up where her older sister left off.

8. Ria Antonio (Rockport Harbor - Beer Baroness, by Mr. Greeley) Jeremiah Engelhart - This filly has done things a little differently in her short career. She debuted in Canada in the My Dear Stakes. A non-descript fifth place finish was followed by a maiden race against males, also at Woodbine. She won that one big, prompting her connections to throw her into a stakes race against males, in which she faded to fourth. Things only got more difficult after entering the Jeremiah Engelhart barn. Her first race in America resulted in fifth place finish in the Grade 1 Frizette. She continued to work well, though, and she was given a shot in the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Fillies, and boy did she take advantage. Rallying strongly she was bumped by She’s A Tiger in deep stretch, and after coming up just a nose short, she was awarded the victory on a majority decision by the stewards at odds of 32-1. I’m still not completely sure what to think about her, but it’s obvious that she has been always well intended, and she put it all together at Santa Anita.

9. Artemis Agrotera (Roman Ruler - Indy Glory, by A.P. Indy) Michael Hushion – Clearly, this is one talented New York-bred. Winning her career debut against state breds by a pole was one thing, but parlaying that sprint win at the Spa, to a grade 1 victory in the historic Frizette was quite a coup. If she would have taken it one step further, and shipped cross-country to win the BC Juvenile Fillies in her third start, she would have been a clear cut choice as champion. Of course she did not, after chasing She’s A Tiger through a fast early pace, she faded to a well beaten fifth. On the one hand, I wonder if she is more of a one-turn type, but on the other hand, I know she is a talent, and I am willing to give her a pass for her loss at Santa Anita. I would not be surprised if she makes a lot of noise next year.

10. Stopchargingmaria (Tale of the Cat – Exotic Bloom, by Montbrook) Todd Pletcher – One of the few multiple graded stakes winners of the division; both of those wins came at Aqueduct. After not quite being up to the challenge of Sweet Reason and Artemis Agrotera in consecutive grade 1 attempts, she came back to romp in the Tempted, before grinding out a victory in the Demoiselle. While it’s true that she has not run a bad one in five career races, and must be respected, I believe that others might be better suited for nine furlongs at Churchill Downs and are likely to pass her by as they become more experienced.
    http://www.horseracingnation.com/blogs/zatt/Kentucky_Oaks_2014_The_First_Top_10_123#
  • I singled Got Lucky out in that race without knowing her past performance, glad to know she really is one to look out for
  • Loooch Racing Stable ‏tweet on Wed. Dec. 4 2013
    It's confirmed .....Ria Antonia will stable at fairgrounds in preparation
    for the 2014 Kentucky derby !!! Thanks Libby !!! Your the best
    Keta Note: Wonder if they mean the Oaks

• Inisde Track: Hollywood Starlet:
  • QueenZFan20
    Excellent video & analysis of Starlet.
    Can't wait to see it run
    Hope all are safe
    Keta
  • interesting contender in the Starlet is Arethusa. she has yet to break her maiden but her first win was a stakes race.
  • Streaming Surges Clear for Starlet Surprise
    By Jack Shinar The Blood-Horse December 7, 2013 8:29 PM
    Streaming went from maiden winner to grade I status when she put away Taste Like Candy in the stretch en route to an impressive victory in the $500,000 Starlet Stakes (gr. I). The race was held for the final time Dec. 7 at Betfair Hollywood Park (VIDEO).
    Trained by Bob Baffert and ridden to victory by Martin Garcia, Hill 'n' Dale Equine Holdings and Edward McGhee's 2-year-old homebred improved to 2-for-2 in her career, stretching out from a six-furlong victory Nov. 15 to score by 1 1/2 lengths in her first try around two turns. Streaming, sent off at odds of nearly 11-1, was timed in 1:44.96 for 1 1/16 miles on Cushion Track.
    Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/82344/streaming-surges-clear-for-starlet-surprise#ixzz2muCMdBEa
  • Hollywood Starlet S. (gr. I) RACE REPLAY VIDEO
    Race 6 at Betfair Hollywood Park on December 7, 2013
    http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/race/USA/BHP/2013/12/7/6/hollywood-starlet-s-gr-i
  • The 33rd Running of Hollywood Starlet (Grade I) -
  • 2014 Ruthless Stakes: