Serendipitous Equine Discoveries, Bargains, Treasures…Look what I found!

edited December 2013 in General Interest
Inspired by Rachel's unexpected "find", in a mall, of artwork of Zenyatta, I've started this Discussion.

If you have a horsey treasure that you've come across at a flea market, antique show, garage sale, etc.....this is the place to share your find. I need to take some photos first, but I'll be sharing.

Comments

• The fact that its drawn and not painted is amazing in itself, it really looks like a picture of zenyatta its so well done.. ITs a 16x18 pic of zenyatta in portrait and in full stride racing when she won the Breeders Cup in 2009. Wasnt that expensive either AND i bought the last one ^.^ im excited about it.
  • I can understand why. Great find. You should include a link to it here. I read this thread first before I discovered the picture on another thread. It was a bit confusing at first.
  • Here it is

• close up inspection that my find is indeed drawn, it only makes it that much more special because its just so amazingly done, from far away it looks like its an actual picture of her. the man/woman who did this has captured her beauty very well.

• and here is a close up of her lead chain, you can also see the pencil marks during the first initial drawing before the color was added.

• funny thing is, you dont see these marks from far away, you have to really get up close to see them ^.^
  • edited December 2013
    Here are my “boys”….my racehorses. I found them about 20 years ago in an antique store in Pasadena, CA. They raced in the late 40’s early 50’s. The paintings are in oil and the artist is James Nelson Slick. Mr. Slick painted racehorses and I have a print by Mr. Slick of Majestic Prince. I don’t know anything about the owner of my boys…Duplicator and Moneybags, but I imagine they must have been loved very much for the owner to commission an artist to paint their portraits.

When I found these paintings my husband wanted me to buy just one, but I told him “these two are meant to stay together”. I am very happy to give these two paintings a good home.

DUPLICATOR (BEAU PERE – LA BOHEME) 40 STARTS, 4 WINS, 3 PLACES, 4 SHOWS
    Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

MONEYBAGS (BEAU PERE – MINTAIRY) 9 STARTS, NEVER OUT OF THE MONEY

• Wow, very beautiful paintings, ive heard of them. I also have paintings of horses my dad found, no names or artist signature on them. And my mom found a painting of a descendant of the great Hambiltonian.
  • The fact that they are half brothers (they both have the same sire, probably not really half brothers, but still) and you have both of their paintings is very special indeed ^.^
  • edited December 2013
    How in the world did you find this! Oh this pic makes me sooo happy. LOL

• How in the world did you find this! Oh this pic makes me sooo happy. LOL

I looked him up through google images LOL i couldnt find Duplicator though :(

• Sporthorsedata.com has many pics of throughbred past and present, but its THOUSANDS of horses they have lol, tbats the site i got the pic from
  • edited December 2013
    Found at the Festival of the Spanish Horse. I think it is so lovely. It is one of a kind from the artist. I like that.

As it hangs on the wall.

• Thats pretty cool
  • So I can't be the only one who has found and collected horse treasures for the last 'umpth years! Sure would like to see what others have found.
  • I have to say the greatest find for me so far has been my Zenyatta Breyer. I had been looking for it for two years. I searched every store that sold breyer in my area but to no avail. Then last Christmas I went into my local fleet supply I wasn't planning at looking at the breyers but something compelled me to go look. I picked up Hickstead breyer thinking this might be a good catch only to look up and see Zenyatta breyer right behind the where Hickstead had been. Let's just say I walked out of the store a Happy woman.
  • I still have yet to get Coz lol, i have a very old Breyer model of Man O War that was passed down to me from my mom. He stands very proud with the look of eagles and he has a halter that was built into the mold.
  • I still have yet to get Coz lol, i have a very old Breyer model of Man O War that was passed down to me from my mom. He stands very proud with the look of eagles and he has a halter that was built into the mold.
    Vintage Man O' War Breyer...a classic...awesome.
  • yup :D unfortunately he had acquired a broken leg that i wasnt able to glue back on :(
  • yup :D unfortunately he had acquired a broken leg that i wasnt able to glue back on :(
    Even on three legs, probably still able to outrun most horses.

Even on three legs, probably still able to outrun most horses.
    haha yup, he still has a proud stance lol

• Not vintage or one of a kind, but a very sweet find from Whitefish, Montana. It's a nice little box to keep horse charms in and a nice reminder of the love between a girl and her horse.

• I don't think I've seen that one before. I really like it.